2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Obviously a lot of focus on the 1sts and a lot of thinking an Yzerman-led draft might look to Europe.

However, when I think about Yzeman's drafting in Tampa, what basically won them 2 Cups was the amazing back-to-back 3rd round gems: Point and Cirelli.

I haven't done tons of research on players likely to be available, but one who stands out is Carey Terrance.
He is probably one of the top 10 skaters in the draft, is known for being as committed defensively as offensively, and wears a letter. If there is a player likely to go in the 70-80 range who will be a steal in 5 years, right now my choice would be Terrance.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Obviously a lot of focus on the 1sts and a lot of thinking an Yzerman-led draft might look to Europe.

However, when I think about Yzeman's drafting in Tampa, what basically won them 2 Cups was the amazing back-to-back 3rd round gems: Point and Cirelli.

I haven't done tons of research on players likely to be available, but one who stands out is Carey Terrance.
He is probably one of the top 10 skaters in the draft, is known for being as committed defensively as offensively, and wears a letter. If there is a player likely to go in the 70-80 range who will be a steal in 5 years, right now my choice would be Terrance.
I wonder if there could be a gem among these Junior A kids - Aiden Fink, Bradley Nadeau, Aydar Suniev

Kinda hard to say though because they play on such powerhouse teams.

Also this kid scores a lot of goals for someone ranked #211 by Central Scouting:
Ryan Conmy at eliteprospects.com

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Because Reinbacher will be long gone when we draft, let's just draft 2 centers with our first 2 picks and then combine our 3 second round picks and get another first round center. That way we might get lucky and actually find our true number 1 center

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Because Reinbacher will be long gone when we draft, let's just draft 2 centers with our first 2 picks and then combine our 3 second round picks and get another first round center. That way we might get lucky and actually find our true number 1 center
If you are expecting us to get a #1 center in the 10-30 range, I think you are going to have a bad time.

We would probably be looking at something like a group of Dvorsky, Yager, Moore, Danielson, Heidt, Honzek, Ritchie (I think some of these guys are probably wingers, but still...)

Even if you told me I get to pick 2-3 of those guys, I don't know that I would end up with a #1 center. Especially with how high of a bar people on this board set as #1 center (Larkin is not a #1, blah blah blah)

This is partly why I am totally fine with drafting a winger, if I think they have more upside. I think someone like Sale for example has more upside than a bunch of the centers. Possibly Cristall too.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
If you are expecting us to get a #1 center in the 10-30 range, I think you are going to have a bad time.

We would probably be looking at something like a group of Dvorsky, Yager, Moore, Danielson, Heidt, Honzek, Ritchie (I think some of these guys are probably wingers, but still...)

Even if you told me I get to pick 2-3 of those guys, I don't know that I would end up with a #1 center. Especially with how high of a bar people on this board set as #1 center (Larkin is not a #1, blah blah blah)

This is partly why I am totally fine with drafting a winger, if I think they have more upside. I think someone like Sale for example has more upside than a bunch of the centers. Possibly Cristall too.

This is also a center draft which makes me think other teams are more likely to reach and pass over the wingers with more offensive potential.

There are a few centers I really like in this draft around Detroit’s pick like Moore and Ritchie, but there will be some super talented wingers available as well. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Benson, Cristall, Leonard and Sale slide as a result.

Reactions: lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is also a center draft which makes me think other teams are more likely to reach and pass over the wingers with more offensive potential.

There are a few centers I really like in this draft around Detroit’s pick like Moore and Ritchie, but there will be some super talented wingers available as well. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Benson, Cristall, Leonard and Sale slide as a result.
We will see if we keep them, but this is why it is nice we have two picks.

We could use one on a center and then use the other to just grab BPA or someone who slides. I just try to temper my expectations with when I am picking towards the back half or outside the top 10. All I was trying to communicate there.

I could see us drafting guys like Ritchie/Honzek who have flexibility as far as playing center or on the wing, and have some size/skill.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Fine , get one wing than as long as he is line driver and can deliver puck in offensive zone just like Datsyuk did.
Larkin is number one center and if he is not on the team Red Wings , I don't even want to know how bad this team is

It will be dream come true if we get Cristall, he gives me Datsyuk wibes

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Not to throw water on the Ritchie parade that's been going on for a bit, but for me it's him. I just don't see the high end skill and to me he's a third liner at best.
If that NYI pick falls somewhere in the 18-20 range, I think Ritchie starts to look logical (if you are looking to target centers). That said, I try to be as realistic as possible and am not expecting to find a "high end skilled" top 6 forward at that point in the first round.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Fine , get one wing than as long as he is line driver and can deliver puck in offensive zone just like Datsyuk did.
Larkin is number one center and if he is not on the team Red Wings , I don't even want to know how bad this team is

It will be dream come true if we get Cristall, he gives me Datsyuk wibes

I don’t know about Datsyuk, but Matt Boldy? Cristall seems like a smaller version of Boldy to me. Dual threat in the offensive zone. Highly creative and can funnel pucks to the net.

My dream first round for Detroit (barring a lotto win) would be a combination of any two of Cristall/Leonard/Moore/Reinbacher/Ritchie/Sale.

Right now Detroit has the 10th and 17th picks. If by some chance we get Reinbacher, Ritchie or Moore with Detroit’s pick I would consider trading the NYI pick and a 2nd to move up and grab Cristall if he’s still available.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
This org would have to make a philosophy change in a way if they want more high end offense.

They seem dead set on every forward playing a 200 ft game. No offense only dudes. Like no Patrick Kane.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This org would have to make a philosophy change in a way if they want more high end offense.

They seem dead set on every forward playing a 200 ft game. No offense only dudes. Like no Patrick Kane.
Raymond and Buchelnikov were offensive upside picks.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020

You can have a strong offensive game while also playing a 200ft game. We're seeing that with Mazur, Lombardi, Kasper, Edvinsson, Wallinder and Johansson in the system. Even Hanas backchecked pretty hard in Grand Rapids before his injury. The only forwards I would say that aren't on par with the others defensively are Soderblom and Buchelnikov. Soderblom tries but doesn't have the right instincts yet. Buchelnikov pretty much fits that stereotype of one-way scoring winger though.

I think it's plain to see what Yzerman is trying to do is add lots of depth to the organization in all positions. Each line being able to attack and push pace as well as defend against the other team's top lines to minimize the damage from mismatches.

Now, do any of these kids project to be 40 goal, 80 point guys? Not really, no. But then again neither did Datsyuk or Zetterberg. We'll see what happens with them. But I'd bet that they provide the kind of depth you need to win in this league. Look at the Kraken as a good example of a team that's built up of 40 and 50 point forwards that can just roll 3 really solid, fast lines and 1 disruptive, speedy 4th line to give their top 3 lines a break. I take our prospects over their prospects 9 times out of 10.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I dont get the love for trading up. The 1st 2 rounds are quite stacked. I rather trade down a bit and get more lottery tickets. The Carolina route

Reactions: NickH8

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I dont get the love for trading up. The 1st 2 rounds are quite stacked. I rather trade down a bit and get more lottery tickets. The Carolina route

I'll pass on the Carolina route. How many of their guys have been impact players that they traded down to get?

As for trading up, if the guy you want is there then don't f*** about. Go get him. If Detroit had followed through with their idea to trade down in 2019 they very likely miss out on Seider and instead draft someone like Bustberg.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I'll pass on the Carolina route. How many of their guys have been impact players that they traded down to get?

As for trading up, if the guy you want is there then don't f*** about. Go get him. If Detroit had followed through with their idea to trade down in 2019 they very likely miss out on Seider and instead draft someone like Bustberg.
I dont know, they have only been doing the trade down technique predominantly since 2020. Their prospect pools looks very stacked though, you can't deny that.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I think Moore has the highest upside of centers who might be picked from pick 10 or later. I’d like to see the Wings use one of their first round picks on him barring lots of lottery luck.

One other storyline that I’ll be interested in is if Mitchkov slips at all on draft day due to his contract and the Russian factor. If so, I think that’s the guy Yzerman would actually package two 1sts to trade up for to take.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I know this question has been asked and answered before so I apologize in advance. I can’t remember the answer. Can the 11th place team move up ten spots to the first pick in the draft?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This team is as devoid of winger talent as it is center. I don’t care what position it is, get guys who can generate offense and score
I’ve been in the “centers only” group in past drafts but this year I’d welcome a winger or a center who might not end up a center if they’re the best offensive option. We need game-breakers up front.

Reactions: jkutswings

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'm always for trading down. The more chances to pick the better. We see every year that the consensus goes out the window after the 1st round. Give me more chances to grab guys that should have been picked way higher

Reactions: Killerjas

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
One other storyline that I’ll be interested in is if Mitchkov slips at all on draft day due to his contract and the Russian factor. If so, I think that’s the guy Yzerman would actually package two 1sts to trade up for to take.
2 first rounders, that's a big gamble considering how deep this draft is. I would offer 1st + high 2nd, there's just too much uncertainty in Michkov's situation. Leaving the second 1st rounder would guarantee that Red Wings walks away with someone who can be help the team in 1-2 year timespan, because who knows when Michkov becomes available. If that one maniac decides to lock the place down and bring back the iron curtain, Uncle Jimmy would have to dig up the old contacts to get that boy out of the country. State department goes bananas, again.

I do believe Michkov falls but maybe not past Arizona, depending of the lottery results of course. Arizona has time to wait, i think Michkov fits their plans very well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't know about trading up for Michkov, but I wondered recently if we might target one of the other Russian players if they slide on draft day due the Russian factor. Given the amount of 1st/2nd rounders we have, we could take a risk like that.

I could see us looking at guys like But, Rykov, or Simashev. hockeyprospect.com has all 3 of those guys ranked top 10.

Reactions: simonedvinsson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad