2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
As much as we need explosive talent, can we afford to pckg multiple high picks for a guy who may not come over to NA for years and thats excluding the current world political situation?

You wanna use a 2nd rd puck on a russian guy who should have gone in the 1st then fill your boots, but, not a top 10 pick and certainly not a top 10 plus a top 15 pick

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
As much as we need explosive talent, can we afford to pckg multiple high picks for a guy who may not come over to NA for years and thats excluding the current world political situation?

You wanna use a 2nd rd puck on a russian guy who should have gone in the 1st then fill your boots, but, not a top 10 pick and certainly not a top 10 plus a top 15 pick

Just wait for Arizona to draft him and Michkov refuses to sign him so his rights are up in the air. :sarcasm:

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
would you guys trade 10OA and 17OA for 5th overall to draft Michkov? I would. Larkin - Michkov - Kasper is filthy
I would trade 10,17, and a 2nd. In a heartbeat.
The problem is not Michkov, more like the place where he plays. Michkov is not going to cross the pond until 2026, that's for sure and the problem is that nobody knows what's the situation in Russia going to be then. Is it going to be Yeltsin's Russia, another version of runned down Soviet Union or North Korea 2.0 ?

And where the Red Wings are now, it's just too risky to pay two 1st round picks for a guy who might not sniff the NHL rinks until he's in his early/mid 30's. And again considersing how deep this draft is, Red Wings would be shooting themselves in the foot.

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
One prospect who has caught my eye is Jayden Perron, seems to have really good offensive ability. If the Isles keep winning and the pick becomes a late teens pick, I think the Wings should go for him.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
would you guys trade 10OA and 17OA for 5th overall to draft Michkov? I would. Larkin - Michkov - Kasper is filthy
Absolutely. If he drops to fifth, then the Russian factor is alive and well, and if teams are apprehensive enough, perhaps Alexander Rykov, Daniil But, Dmitri Simashev, and Mikhael Gulyayev could be targets in the second... but now I'm living in a fantasy world. It could happen, sure, but I'll be shocked if Michkov is available past four.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I really like Sam Honzek. He plays like what we all hoped Mantha would be, and he still could be a center. He moves so well for a huge guy too.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
In this strong draft year I'd rather keep both 10 and 17. Get top 5 will cost arm and leg and it is not guarantee anything. Better choice whoud be to trade up our second and late rounds.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I've made some good progress since the turn of the new year scouting out this years draft. I've got 54 guys I've got at least one viewing on. Some I watched on streams, some I could only get in a shift by shift on youtube (thank god for the puck enthusiast on youtube this year). I've got a top 20 that I've seen at least three viewings each player that I've got confidence in and feel good presenting as a representation of the work I've done.
My February Top 20:
1. Connor BedardCRegina PatsWHL
2. Adam FantilliCUniversity of MichiganB1G
3. Matvei MichkovRWHK SochiKHL
4. Leo CarlssonCOrebro HKSHL
5. Zach BensonLWWinnipeg IceWHL
6. Oliver MooreCUSNTDPUSHL
7. Ryan LeonardC/RWUSNTDPUSHL
8. Will SmithCUSNTDPUSHL
9. Andrew CristallLWKelowna RocketsWHL
10. Riley HeidtCPrince George CougarsWHL
11. Daniil ButLWLoko-76 YaroslavlMHL
12. David ReinbacherDEHC KlotenNL
13. Eduard SaleLWHC Kometa BrnoCzechia
14. Samuel HonzekCVancouver GiantsWHL
15. Nate DanielsonCBrandon Wheat KingsWHL
16. Dmitri SimashevDLokomotiv YaroslavlKHL
17. Colby BarlowLWOwen Sound AttackOHL
18. Dalibor DvorskyCAIKHockey Allsvenskan
19. Brayden YagerCMoose Jaw WarriorsWHL
20. Gavin BrindleyC/RWUniversity of MichiganB1G
Honorable Mention: Jayden Perron, just barely missed the cut but Brindley's defensive game gave him the edge.
Updated list. This time I will go to 32. Lots of movement in my top 20 I posted before, mostly due to players rising and not falling. But is a guy who fell a lot simply due to the guys around him rising. Overall I think there are 19 guys in this draft that I would consider "top 10 picks" in most drafts. Really impressive.
Also, I've been really hard on Smith, but he's continued to increase my view of him. I'll stop being stubborn about him.

2. Matvei MichkovRWHK SochiKHL
3. Adam Fantilli CUniversity of MichiganB1G
4. Leo CarlssonC/LWOrebro HKSHL
6. Andrew CristallLWKelowna RocketsWHL
7. Will SmithC/RWUSNTDPUSHL
8. Oliver MooreCUSNTDPUSHL
9. David Reinbacher DEHC KlotenNL
10. Nate DanielsonCBrandon Wheat KingsWHL
11. Colby BarlowLWOwen Sound AttackOHL
12. Ryan LeonardC/RWUSNTDPUSHL
14. Samuel HonzekC/LWVancouver GiantsWHL
15. Gavin BrindleyC/RWUniversity of MichiganB1G
16. Riley HeidtC/LWPrince George CougarsWHL
17. Dalibor Dvorsky CAIKHockey Allsvenskan
18. Daniil ButLWLoko-76 YaroslavlMHL
19. Jayden PerronRWChicago SteelUSHL
20. Gabe Perreault LWUSNTDPUSHL
21. Quentin MustyLWSudbury WolvesOHL
22. Koehn ZiemmerRWPrince George CougarsWHL
23. Brayden YagerCMoose Jaw WarriorsWHL
24. Dmitri SimashevDLokomotiv YaroslavlKHL
25. Oscar Fisker MolgaardLWHV71SHL
26. Matthew WoodCUCONNHockey East
27. Felix NilssonC/LWRogle BKSHL
28. Otto StenbergC/LWFrolunda HCSHL
29. David EdstromCFrolunda HCSHL
30. Mikhail GulyayevDOmskie YastrebyMHL
31. Tanner MolendykDSaskatoon BladesWHL
32. Timur MukhanovC/RWOmskie KryliaVHL

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Will Russian players again fall due to speculation over their ability and likelihood of coming to NA?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Will Russian players again fall due to speculation over their ability and likelihood of coming to NA?
Very good question . Sometimes world class players just stay in KHL despite money and play against the best, Like Grigorenko, even Yakupov. Radulov , Kovalchuk , Datsyuk could still play at the highest level , but for some reason they decide to play in Russia. Is it even worth to draft from Russia if they even never come over.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Updated list. This time I will go to 32. Lots of movement in my top 20 I posted before, mostly due to players rising and not falling. But is a guy who fell a lot simply due to the guys around him rising. Overall I think there are 19 guys in this draft that I would consider "top 10 picks" in most drafts. Really impressive.
Also, I've been really hard on Smith, but he's continued to increase my view of him. I'll stop being stubborn about him.

2. Matvei MichkovRWHK SochiKHL
3. Adam FantilliCUniversity of MichiganB1G
4. Leo CarlssonC/LWOrebro HKSHL
6. Andrew CristallLWKelowna RocketsWHL
7. Will SmithC/RWUSNTDPUSHL
8. Oliver MooreCUSNTDPUSHL
9. David ReinbacherDEHC KlotenNL
10. Nate DanielsonCBrandon Wheat KingsWHL
11. Colby BarlowLWOwen Sound AttackOHL
12. Ryan LeonardC/RWUSNTDPUSHL
14. Samuel HonzekC/LWVancouver GiantsWHL
15. Gavin BrindleyC/RWUniversity of MichiganB1G
16. Riley HeidtC/LWPrince George CougarsWHL
17. Dalibor DvorskyCAIKHockey Allsvenskan
18. Daniil ButLWLoko-76 YaroslavlMHL
19. Jayden PerronRWChicago SteelUSHL
20. Gabe PerreaultLWUSNTDPUSHL
21. Quentin MustyLWSudbury WolvesOHL
22. Koehn ZiemmerRWPrince George CougarsWHL
23. Brayden YagerCMoose Jaw WarriorsWHL
24. Dmitri SimashevDLokomotiv YaroslavlKHL
25. Oscar Fisker MolgaardLWHV71SHL
26. Matthew WoodCUCONNHockey East
27. Felix NilssonC/LWRogle BKSHL
28. Otto StenbergC/LWFrolunda HCSHL
29. David EdstromCFrolunda HCSHL
30. Mikhail GulyayevDOmskie YastrebyMHL
31. Tanner MolendykDSaskatoon BladesWHL
32. Timur MukhanovC/RWOmskie KryliaVHL
I have an updated list. I like to keep a running list every year. But I've seen very little of these players, so I am kind of doing it more or less for fun this year. (I'm a lot more into the NFL draft/free agency right now)

Bedard
Michkov
Fantilli
Carlsson
Smith
Benson
Dvorsky
Sale
Moore
Cristall
Yager
Barlow
Ritchie
Perrault
Danielson
Reinbacher
But
Leonard
Dragicevic
Heidt
Honzek
Wood
Musty
Gauthier
Sandin Pelikka
Hrabal
Gulyayev
Ziemmer
Dower Nilsson
Simashev
Nadeau
Stramel

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
In what world does Dvorsky go before Sale...
They are 1 spot apart and in the same tier in my world. I would say the guys I have 5-9 and then 10-20 are pretty interchangeable.

Bob Mckenzie had Dvorsky #9 and Sale #12 on his mid-season list polling NHL scouts. hockeyprospect.com has Dvorsky at #11 and Sale at #23. I feel like I am higher on Sale than the consensus. Although I know Craig Button is really high on Sale, which I appreciate.

What does your list look like?

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect Human

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I have an updated list. I like to keep a running list every year. But I've seen very little of these players, so I am kind of doing it more or less for fun this year. (I'm a lot more into the NFL draft/free agency right now)

Bedard
Michkov
Fantilli
Carlsson
Smith
Benson
Dvorsky
Sale
Moore
Cristall
Yager
Barlow
Ritchie
Perrault
Danielson
Reinbacher
But
Leonard
Dragicevic
Heidt
Honzek
Wood
Musty
Gauthier
Sandin Pelikka
Hrabal
Gulyayev
Ziemmer
Dower Nilsson
Simashev
Nadeau
Stramel
What's your take on Yager? I cooled off on him a lot this year, he seems to me like a middle 6 scorer at best.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What's your take on Yager? I cooled off on him a lot this year, he seems to me like a middle 6 scorer at best.
I went from having him like ~5th to just outside my top 10. Could end up being even farther down, not sure. Was trying not to overreact too much.

Could see him being a similar pro as Nick Suzuki. But I also understand being a little hesitant when looking at him vs others.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
They are 1 spot apart and in the same tier in my world. I would say the guys I have 5-9 and then 10-20 are pretty interchangeable.

Bob Mckenzie had Dvorsky #9 and Sale #12 on his mid-season list polling NHL scouts. hockeyprospect.com has Dvorsky at #11 and Sale at #23. I feel like I am higher on Sale than the consensus. Although I know Craig Button is really high on Sale, which I appreciate.

Dvorsky and Sale are interesting players to me, that's for sure. I need to watch more on them, especially Dvorsky, to see what people are high on.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands

My list is not even close to be finished yet, but my top 5 right now is quite firm and I highly doubt it will change. Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov, Carlsson, Smith in that order.

6 to 15, wide open, which includes Cristall, Benson, Danielson, Sale, Moore, Yager, Simashev, Leonard, Perron, Wood and some more.
I believe the 1st round is quite stacked, after pick 5 it can go all over the place, difficult to project but I am always a fan of skill.

Personally I have Dvorsky lower then most people because I am not super over the moon by his Allsvenskan production. Sale produces in more competitive league. Dvorsky lacks a bit of speed when he is under pressure and I believe he needs to work on his footwork to be quicker on his feet. I highly value skating ability, Dvorsky is just not my kind of pick. If he falls, sure, but at 7 it is too early for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad