2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Reinbacher will be long gone so my hope is Barlow and Danielson. Time to stock up on right handed boys from Ontario !!
Barlow is left handed FWIW.. but both those guys can score.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
David Reinbacher may be plain and simple BPA at our pick, if the A in BPA even applies by then. I know I recently advocated for doubling up on forwards, but if by some miracle Reinbacher falls to us I think he's a guy Yzerman can't resist taking. He fits his MO to the letter. Big, mobile defenseman with edge and offensive skill. There's a ton of potential top 6 forwards for us to take with the Isles pick. Heidt, Leonard, Barlow, Sale, Danielson, will all just be sitting there for the taking. On the other hand, once Reinbacher is gone, you aren't getting a top defenseman in this draft.
I’m in this same boat. I want 2 forwards but I’d also be totally fine with Reinbacher as our first pick.

Reactions: GoBoltz56

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I really like Ritchie as something of a sleeper pick. His stats don’t jump off the page at you but I could see him exploding next year. Too smart and mature not to see some separation from his peers by next year. I see elements of Getzlaf in his game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I really like Ritchie as something of a sleeper pick. His stats don’t jump off the page at you but I could see him exploding next year. Too smart and mature not to see some separation from his peers by next year. I see elements of Getzlaf in his game.
He was #13 on Bob's mid-season list, so he shouldn't be looked at as a sleeper. Has put up a bunch of points since that list came out too.

To your point, originally I had him pegged as some bigger guy who is a scorer with limited skill. After seeing more of him though, he reminds me a decent bit of Kirby Dach. He is a good passer and has some good skill.

I would personally not mind taking him with either of our first round picks.

Posted this the other day... but this game winning OT assist was pretty sick:

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Reinbacher is trending towards being the top d man in this draft, and the top d man in this draft probably goes before we pick. Someone will draft off of need. There is almost always a defenseman that goes in the first 6-7 picks of a draft. He is playing well in a men’s league and checks a lot of boxes. I have to think he will appeal heavily to GMs who are inherently risk averse, especially at the top of the draft.

I would be totally good taking him if he slides to us, although I really think this is a draft to take a forward with your top pick.

The other guy I would take with one of our firsts that is a RD is Dragicevic. He was my top d man before the ascension or Reinbacher, and I think he is underrated in this class.

I really like the ideas of two forwards in the first round though. Especially if one of those guys is bigger and/or a goal scorer. I think you could get some interesting defenseman in rounds 2-3. >>>>>>

I like Beau Akey, Hunter Brzustewicz, Max Strbak, Caden Price, Oliver Bonk, Cam Allen, Andrew Strathmann, Gavin McCarthy, Tristan Bertucci, Aram Minnetian

I also wonder if Simashev or Gulyayev could slide to round 2 because of the Russian factor.
I don't like how Dragicevic defends. He's too passive. Just kind of stands there. At least his positioning is OK. Defense can be taught though. I'd target him with a 2nd if he's available but that's unlikely.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
He was #13 on Bob's mid-season list, so he shouldn't be looked at as a sleeper. Has put up a bunch of points since that list came out too.

To your point, originally I had him pegged as some bigger guy who is a scorer with limited skill. After seeing more of him though, he reminds me a decent bit of Kirby Dach. He is a good passer and has some good skill.

Your tweet doesn't work anymore so here it is.

He's a guy I've liked since the Hlinka. I originally thought that Ritchie would be in the 5-10 range. I'd say he's a lot like TJ Miller without being as much of a hothead. If he somehow falls to Detroit I won't be mad.

Reactions: lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't like how Dragicevic defends. He's too passive. Just kind of stands there. At least his positioning is OK. Defense can be taught though. I'd target him with a 2nd if he's available but that's unlikely.
Yeah, I thought a comp for him would be Klingberg. So I get what you are saying. We could kinda use another RD that can move the puck though. I also think you can improve defensively as you get older (if you are interested in playing in that end).

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

To your point, originally I had hi pegged as some big guy who is a scorer with limited skill. After seeing more of him though, he reminds me a decent bit of Kirby Dach. He is a good passer and has some good skill.

Yeah, I still expect him to go around there up to about 20th overall, I could just see him slipping back cause there are so many comparable options in those spots. This draft is so deep up front.

Also funny that you bring up Dach, cause he was compared to Getzlaf in his draft year.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Reinbacher will be long gone so my hope is Barlow and Danielson. Time to stock up on right handed boys from Ontario !!
Why is Reinbacher long gone , his highest rating at the moment is 10 , average rating is 20. ,He will be very good prospect for whoever will draft him , but he is not Makar, not even close

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I can’t decide if I want the Wings to package 2nds to move back into the late first or if I want the team to have more kicks at the can. I guess it depends on who’s still available at that point. I wouldn’t mind drafting a couple forwards with our first 2 picks, then packaging 2nds to get back into the late 1st for Dragicevic, for example. Or if we were to draft Reinbacher and a forward with our 1sts, then moving back into the 1st to take a guy like But or Perreault.
Why is Reinbacher long gone , his highest rating at the moment is 10 , average rating is 20. ,He will be very good prospect for whoever will draft him , but he is not Makar, not even close
Still several months til draft day. Historically, the top defenseman of the draft sneaks into the top 5-10 by draft day. You mention Makar, and yet he was outside the top 10 of Mckenzie’s mid-season rankings for 2017.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

It's very unlikely that Reinbacher becomes a Makar level defenseman. That doesn't mean he isn't a phenomenal prospect. I think he's someone that has top pair potential with strong puck moving ability. It's very unlikely he'd ever get close to Makar's production but could he become a Ryan McDonagh or Jaccob Slavin type? I think there's a strong chance of that.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I can't wait for Yzerman to go off the board 5 times in a row and watch this place explode like Starkiller Base
Feels like this is the hardest draft ever to go “off the board”. Everywhere you look, there are great alternatives to your prospect of choice. Give me Honzek and Brustewicz with our top 2 picks. I’m game.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Only reason we got a chance at Reinbacher he plays in a league were he is literally the sole NHL potential player in that league. So I wonder how well scouted he's been. Even in todays day and age.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Only reason we got a chance at Reinbacher he plays in a league were he is literally the sole NHL potential player in that league. So I wonder how well scouted he's been. Even in todays day and age.
Uhhh, he plays in what is arguably the 2nd best league in Europe....there are plenty of eyeballs on him, believe me. Glad a few of you are interested in Ritchie as well. I think he would provide something that we don't have a lot of in the system, size AND skill. I could see him being taken with the NYI pick if we end up with it. Barlow and Ritchie would give us a little heavier guys up front once theyre fully grown....

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Ugh… you might want to put a bit more thought into that. If people on a message board are scouting a player, so are NHL teams…

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
would love to walk away from the draft with 2 of the following. They should be in our range with our first couple picks, but of course things change with end of year rankings.

-Reinbacher
-Yager
-Cristall
-Dvorsky
-Sandin-Pellikka
-Barlow
Cristall/Barlow + Reinbacher would be perfect

Reactions: GoBoltz56

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I would be fine with Reinbacher, though I am not dying to draft him. If you gave me some combination of Yager, Reinbacker, Honzek, Stramel, Danileson, Barlow or Ritchie in the first, I would happy. I don't see ASP as a viable option given Yzerman's preference for big defensemen. I am curious to see if Bonk is there for one of our second rounders.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I wouldn't mind using one of the 3 early 2nds to target Noah Dower-Nilsson. Could be fun with the brothers in the system.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Ugh… you might want to put a bit more thought into that. If people on a message board are scouting a player, so are NHL teams…
There's a difference between being aware of a player, catching clips of a player on twitter, watching a broadcast
of them and actually scouting them in person that's all Im saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad