2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
2023 NHL Draft ranking: Connor Bedard is still No. 1, but who has moved up?

Pronman has Cristall waaaaay back in the rankings.

Hey @Frk It , Brayden Yager or Calum Ritchie? What do you see as the big differences between their games? Who do you think will be the more impactful pro?
God that is tough.

The more productive less toolsy guy vs the more toolsy less productive guy.

I think I’d still lean Yager, but I’ve been liking Ritchie more and more. He’s been rising for me where Yager has dropped some.

Also I like that Pronman has Danielson #5.. he deserves more love.

Reactions: Realgud

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
God that is tough.

The more productive less toolsy guy vs the more toolsy less productive guy.

I think I’d still lean Yager, but I’ve been liking Ritchie more and more. He’s been rising for me where Yager has dropped some.

Also I like that Pronman has Danielson #5.. he deserves more love.

See that's kind of my problem, too. I haven't watched too much of Canadian juniors this year compared to some other leagues. I like what little I've seen from both.

However! I'm going to the Seattle Thunderbirds/Tri City game tomorrow night. Seattle looks like a really senior team. I'm not sure who to watch there that hasn't been drafted already. Lukas Dragicevic is there. Any other Tri City kids I should keep an eye on?

There's also a game saturday night between Seattle/Everett. Austin Roest, Stacy Roest's kid is the leading scorer on Everett and undrafted. About the same size as his dad as well. Anyone else on that team to look at?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
See that's kind of my problem, too. I haven't watched too much of Canadian juniors this year compared to some other leagues. I like what little I've seen from both.

However! I'm going to the Seattle Thunderbirds/Tri City game tomorrow night. Seattle looks like a really senior team. I'm not sure who to watch there that hasn't been drafted already. Lukas Dragicevic is there. Any other Tri City kids I should keep an eye on?

There's also a game saturday night between Seattle/Everett. Austin Roest, Stacy Roest's kid is the leading scorer on Everett and undrafted. About the same size as his dad as well. Anyone else on that team to look at?
Sawchyn (Seattle) and Dragicevic (Tri City) are 2 guys with watching… not sure about anyone else.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
But I'm getting a little nervous that Reinbacher might not even be there when the Wings pick.
I think he ends up the consensus top defenseman for this draft, and some team usually wants a defenseman within the first 7-8 picks of the draft.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Trade up to the bottom of the 1st and grab Cristall, easy peasy.

But I'm getting a little nervous that Reinbacher might not even be there when the Wings pick.

He won't be. The last time the top ranked defenseman in the draft went after 10th overall was...

*drumroll*

Bobby Dollas in 1983.

The most recent draft with a defender that went so late was 1999 when Branislav Mezei was picked 10th overall.

As much as I'd love to grab Reinbacher with our pick, the chances of it happening are almost nil.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
What do people think of Simashev with our later first round pick? He'd give us another option to fill out our top 4 and he's big which Yzerman obviously likes. Sounds like he's got some untapped potential but his skating and puck skills for his size are definitely the types of things we like with our d-men.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
Assuming we pick near #10, are people still interested in drafting Oliver Moore? The Larkin comparisons may be too on the nose but it sounds like he could give us three rock solid 2-way centers.
I’d be ecstatic if we got Moore at “10.” With the progression of Ramussen this season, and the coming Kasper, we may already have our three rock-solid centers (if they both progress nicely, of course). Im all for BPA if there isnt a center who grades out near where we are drafting. We really need size, speed, and scoring from a winger or two, in addition to needing a top center. Just my 2 cents…

What do people think of Simashev with our later first round pick? He'd give us another option to fill out our top 4 and he's big which Yzerman obviously likes. Sounds like he's got some untapped potential but his skating and puck skills for his size are definitely the types of things we like with our d-men.
I think it depends a lot on:

1. What Yzerman thinks of his three centers being Larkin, Kasper, Rasmussen (in a couple years).

2. How our first, first round pick goes.

Personally, I would be good with it

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I’d be ecstatic if we got Moore at “10.” With the progression of Ramussen this season, and the coming Kasper, we may already have our three rock-solid centers (if they both progress nicely, of course). Im all for BPA if there isnt a center who grades out near where we are drafting. We really need size, speed, and scoring from a winger or two, in addition to needing a top center. Just my 2 cents…
I think in a long run Ras becomes a winger, only takes center duties when there's injuries/suspensions. Ras basically takes over Bert's old job, +"back up center"-role.

Moore makes lot of sense, three almost identical center's is a good foundation for our offensive core. If we are extremely lucky for the first time and Reinbacher is still available when Red Wings are on the clock second time, don't think twice and pull the trigger. And there is still three 2nd round picks to catch the 1st round strays.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Should be Leonard be our target for our first pick. He is playing physical game with good speed, goal scorer, good puck mover. Even if he is not a center, he could be first line wing

Reactions: GoBoltz56

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Should be Leonard be our target for our first pick. He is playing physical game with good speed, goal scorer, good puck mover. Even if he is not a center, he could be first line wing
I’m not as high as him on others, but I wonder if Yzerman will see him being a player like Ryan Callahan was.

Reactions: lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020

If Reinbacher is gone at #10 then Oliver Moore is my number one target. Best skater in the draft, a ton of tenacity pretty smart, and decent enough hands.

I’m not as high as him on others, but I wonder if Yzerman will see him being a player like Ryan Callahan was.

That's a guy I instantly thought of when I watched Leonard, especially seeing him in the red white and blue. It reminded me of Cally when he was on the rags. There might be more goalscoring potential in Leonard's game though.

Another one to consider as a comparable is Dustin Brown with wheels.

I think a draft where Detroit drafts a potential Larkin clone and Ryan Callahan clone as a huge success.

EDIT: That video is making me more interested in Jayden Perron. Seems like a very smart player.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
A little bit about Ryan Leonard

He definitely fits the mold of a skilled piano puller. Ryan Callahan, Dustin Brown, Tyler Bertuzzi types. I can just imagine what a pain in the ass a line of Rasmussen - Kasper - Leonard could be.

Reactions: Michael Brand Eggs

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
If Reinbacher is gone at #10 then Oliver Moore is my number one target. Best skater in the draft, a ton of tenacity pretty smart, and decent enough hands.

That's a guy I instantly thought of when I watched Leonard, especially seeing him in the red white and blue. It reminded me of Cally when he was on the rags. There might be more goalscoring potential in Leonard's game though.

I think a draft where Detroit drafts a potential Larkin clone and Ryan Callahan clone as a huge success.

EDIT: That video is making me more interested in Jayden Perron. Seems like a very smart player.

Perron is good. Very smart, always looking to get the puck to the middle of the ice. Might be one of the more underrated players in the draft. I don't have him up there quite yet but I like him.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

I just don't believe Moore going to be available at 10

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I just don't believe Moore going to be available at 10

I think it's possible.

Most lists have him as highly ranked as #7 and as low as #18 with consolidated having him at #12. I think that's probably around where he goes, give or take a spot or two.

Right now Detroit is #11 at the draft. I think they could go as high as the #13 pick or drop to the #8 pick again. There are only about 5 or 6 more games on the season that look like there's a 50% or greater probability of winning.

The Islanders pick sits at #17 now but the Sens are pretty hot at the moment. Their schedule looks pretty easy in comparison, but I can also see them pooping the bed and only going 0.500 for the remaining stretch or either the Sens or Sabres sneaking into their WC spot.

We'll have our chance at Moore.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Perron is good. Very smart, always looking to get the puck to the middle of the ice. Might be one of the more underrated players in the draft. I don't have him up there quite yet but I like him.

Eliteprospects has him at #10 and when I looked him up the dude has 21 points in his last 10. I don't love his skating when I've seen him, but you can see the combination of smarts and hands whenever he touches the puck. If Moore is off the board at Detroit's pick a 1st round of Leonard and Perron as their picks is also realgud and addresses some organizational needs for talented offensive forwards up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad