2023 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Winning the draft lottery and nabbing Fantilli at 2 would immediately make this rebuild the best in the league and effectively end it.

Would it be more realistic to hope Benson falls to 10?
Kinda doubt it, his numbers higher than Geekie and Savoie, and they were drafted top 15

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Anyone notice how there's been no real fallers? No Brad Lamberts this year. Maybe Yager but that's mostly in the online scout space. Just more and more guys showing they should be in the consideration for the upper half of the first round. This is what a deep draft looks like.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Anyone notice how there's been no real fallers? No Brad Lamberts this year. Maybe Yager but that's mostly in the online scout space. Just more and more guys showing they should be in the consideration for the upper half of the first round. This is what a deep draft looks like.
Otto Stenberg, Charlie Stramel, Cam Allen, Ethan Gauthier

Guys were top 15 on Bob’s pre-season list and they are not that anymore.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Otto Stenberg, Charlie Stramel, Cam Allen, Ethan Gauthier

Guys were top 15 on Bob’s pre-season list and they are not that anymore.
Guess you're right, they just fell off so quick they were never really on my radar as top picks.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Should be getting more buzz as an option for one of our 1st round picks:

It's hard to deny that there's something behind that production. He's producing at historic levels. Only Jack Hughes has produced at a higher rate.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
It's hard to deny that there's something behind that production. He's producing at historic levels. Only Jack Hughes has produced at a higher rate.
Very clear to me why when I watch him. He's not driving his line but his IQ is really high, especially when it comes to decision making, finding open space and his vision with the puck (underrated skill of his, imo). I wonder if there's potential for him to do more if he doesn't have Smith or Moore driving the play for him. Hard to say for now as I still have to watch more usntdp to get a clearer picture but, needless to say, I'm a big fan of his game and would love to draft him.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I hope the brass takes a long look at Reinbacher. He was #20 on McKenzie's list, he should be available with the Islander's first. 6'2'' , shoots right.

Reinbacher is a force in transition, active in all three zones, and proficient at generating defensive stops. He's a powerful, agile skater, but where he stands out for me is his commitment and ability to read the play and then react as a quality defensive defenseman.

He's playing massive minutes as a first-time draft-eligible skater in Switzerland's top men's league.

Source

On another note, as of today, March 14th, Detroit would make their three 2nd picks all one after the other (40 acquired from the Hronek trade, 41 acquired in the Leddy trade and their own at 42). That would be a pretty unique spectacle, staying up there for 3 picks.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I hope the brass takes a long look at Reinbacher. He was #20 on McKenzie's list, he should be available with the Islander's first. 6'2'' , shoots right.
Regardless of ranking, I would be stunned if the guy considered by some as the top defenseman in the draft is still there at 17 or so.

But depending on where Detroit's first pick goes, I would be more than fine with stapling a second rounder(s) to the Islanders pick to move up for Reinbacher.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Reinbacher is a force in transition, active in all three zones, and proficient at generating defensive stops. He's a powerful, agile skater, but where he stands out for me is his commitment and ability to read the play and then react as a quality defensive defenseman.

He's playing massive minutes as a first-time draft-eligible skater in Switzerland's top men's league.

Source

On another note, as of today, March 14th, Detroit would make their three 2nd picks all one after the other (40 acquired from the Hronek trade, 41 acquired in the Leddy trade and their own at 42). That would be a pretty unique spectacle, staying up there for 3 picks.

Like I keep saying, Reinbacher is going top 10 as the best D in the draft. There is no way a midget with OK offense and poor defense goes above a guy that skates as well as Reinbacher at 6'2" while playing a 2-way game.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Like I keep saying, Reinbacher is going top 10 as the best D in the draft. There is no way a midget with OK offense and poor defense goes above a guy that skates as well as Reinbacher at 6'2" while playing a 2-way game.
If we actually get Reinbacher, I like to trade for Rossi , always like him.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Just focusing on skaters and not goalies:

The top 3 organization prospects are products of the SHL: Kasper, Edvinsson, Wallinder.
Seider and Raymond are products of the SHL.
Berggren is a product of the SHL.
AlJo is a product of the SHL.

This has to impact the scouting teams' views on players and their development track. I have a hard time seeing the Wings use both 1st round picks in this upcoming draft on players outside of the SHL given this track record. Maybe one NA, one SHL, but if both picks are used, it seems like a sure bet one will be a product of Sweden.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018

The top 3 organization prospects are products of the SHL: Kasper, Edvinsson, Wallinder.

This has to impact the scouting teams' views on players and their development track. I have a hard time seeing the Wings use both 1st round picks in this upcoming draft on players outside of the SHL given this track record. Maybe one NA, one SHL, but if both picks are used, it seems like a sure bet one will be a product of Sweden.
Yeah but the only swedish first round talent this year is Leo Carlsson who will definitely be drafted before our slot.

I can see us draft Reinbacher and him finding his way to Rogle, the next season.

Reactions: wings95

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

This line of thinking is overly simplistic and also ignores the fact that this is a down year for Swedes. Seider was drafted out of Germany and Raymond and Edvinsson were drafted very, very close to where they were expected to go (same with Wallinder and Berggren to a lesser extent). None of these were crazy off of the board picks suggesting that the player was chosen because they were Swedish.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Somebody else who is a 1st round talent is also playing in Sweden....*COUGH* Dvorsky *COUGH*
Also, if they go with a safer pick, like Moore or Yager and Barlow or Ritchie with the Isles pick, I wouldnt mind seeing them take a swing on Oscar Fisker Molgaard by trading back up into the late 1st.

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

This would be a solid argument for the conclusion that Yzerman places a great deal of trust in our Swedish scouting staff.

It's a pretty circular argument for the conclusion that we should spend our 1sts on Swedish prospects going forward.

For one, Seider isn't a product of the SHL any more than Veleno is.

For two, limiting our prospects to skaters conveniently removes our highest drafted NA prospect in Cossa.

More importantly, SHL pedigree isn't only one commonality between Kasper, Edvinsson and Wallinder. The other glaring one? They’re the three highest-drafted prospects in our pool (excluding, by your suggestion, Cossa).

Yzerman has spent 3/4 top ten selections on SHL talent (the exception being Seider, who is a DEL product), as well as several early/mid seconds. It would be a massive concern if SHL talent was leading our prospect pool.

Again, I think it's pretty evident that Yzerman places a lot of faith in the Swedish staff and I do think it's encouraging that, at this early stage, all of our SHL first rounders are playing good hockey. But let's not pretend the Swedish group is the only one who can hit a homerun when they're the only group that Yzerman has let take any meaningful swings.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Even if the top picks have been DEL and SHL Detroit is getting good value from guys like Hanas, Mazur, Savage, both Dylan James and Cossa lately, and Sebrango.

Will all of them make it? Unlikely. But I think there will be 2 or 3 full timers from this group and Cossa was the only 1st rounder. That’s pretty good when looking at things overall.

Edit: I almost forgot Lombardi!

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
For the second round, I think a good choice may be defenceman Etienne Morin of the QMJHL, seems like a good two-way dman.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I’m not sure who it was, possibly Scott Wheeler, or someone else at the Athletic but they had us ranked 7th in terms of prospects in the organization. After this draft with 5 in the top 50 or so we should crack the top three this summer
Wheeler had us 4th overall.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
This line of thinking is overly simplistic and also ignores the fact that this is a down year for Swedes. Seider was drafted out of Germany and Raymond and Edvinsson were drafted very, very close to where they were expected to go (same with Wallinder and Berggren to a lesser extent). None of these were crazy off of the board picks suggesting that the player was chosen because they were Swedish.
Totally understand that, but the point remains that players who have played in the SHL are further along in their development tracks than players who haven't. Obviously this is inflated by having more higher end picks play in the SHL, but it is still a valid point. It seems that Yzerman and the development staff (Horcoff) prefer to have young players ripen on the vine against men. They even decided to move Cossa out of the CHL after one year. I am not saying the Wings will not and should not draft a top NA talent available to them on draft day, just saying if we have two picks in the first, and use both, one will likely be on a player who will be in the SHL next season for their development.
Even if the top picks have been DEL and SHL Detroit is getting good value from guys like Hanas, Mazur, Savage, both Dylan James and Cossa lately, and Sebrango.

Will all of them make it? Unlikely. But I think there will be 2 or 3 full timers from this group and Cossa was the only 1st rounder. That’s pretty good when looking at things overall.

Edit: I almost forgot Lombardi!
How many of those players continued to play in the USHL or CHL? Really only Hanas who was a late bloomer due to covid seasons and Cossa for one year. It seems the days of leaving "junior" players in the juniors are done? Maybe its just been good drafting and scouting, but Mazur, Savage, and James are all in the NCAA playing against players older than themselves and Cossa, who started the season at 19 yr old, has played pro hockey against men this entire year.

Yzerman all but said it last year at the draft; they draft prospects in part for their development trajectory and where they plan to play to facilitate the development on and off the ice. It seems he does not like CHL for a development pipeline. Lombardi and Hanas are really the only two notable picks in the past few years who played D+1 and D+2 years in the CHL, and in Lombardi's case it is because of his later development relative to his draft year and being an overager.

Speculate all you want as to why, but who can blame him? Hockey Canada has been shown to be a stellar organization recently (sarcasm), and this could be a reason why Yzerman choses to have players develop elsewhere.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Somebody else who is a 1st round talent is also playing in Sweden....*COUGH* Dvorsky *COUGH*
Also, if they go with a safer pick, like Moore or Yager and Barlow or Ritchie with the Isles pick, I wouldnt mind seeing them take a swing on Oscar Fisker Molgaard by trading back up into the late 1st.
Why our whole board isn't behind drafting a 6'1 200 pound center with good skill level who has shined in international tournaments and is another big time talent coming out of Slovakia...

I couldn't tell you for the life of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad