Prospect Info: 2023 Draft #6: D Dimitri Simashev

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
why did OEL’s skills apparently diminish so quickly?

OEL kept messing up his knee, which ruined his ability to skate backward and to pivot. At that point he was being walked by 4th liners instead of hanging with McDavid and Crosby types. He also somehow lost his wrist shot, which was the basis for most of his offense. There was a period where he was getting constantly rag-dolled into the boards and nobody on the Coyotes seemed to particularly mind which took its toll mentally and physically. I think it was a combination of bad culture and OEL being a bit disliked/checked out.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Huh? You mean preference or likelihood?

I’m too cynical to think the powers that be have any real ideological motives that will spiral this out of control. I’m assuming it’s just about money and they won’t let things get too bad for business. But I’m also dumb and I don’t know anything because I’m too lazy to pay any attention. I thought the whole pandemic thing was real and scary. That turned out to just be mostly a cash grab too. I’m going to lazily and stupidly assume everything is from here on out and not bother to look into any of it.

I’ll pay attention to hockey for fun and my business for money. Politics? Nah.
Yeah there always seems to be multiple sides to every story… there is actual “news” then there is what the “federal government is trying to tell you” then there is the “narrative” ., as a Canadian I am tend to believe the opposite of the narrative and what the feds are pushing , especially since bills are being pushed to stop freedom of speech going against the last 2.

anyhoo..

it Is funny how in a lesser extent .. your team gets ridiculed for picking against the narrative and the mainstream consensus even though the Yotes were one of the only teams that actually did the due diligence of researching and watching them play. (Simashev and But)

Even one of the more respected scouting companies ( the name escapes me …..Hockey Prospects I think) had both Simashev And But rated top 10…I don’t think they were as much as a reach that everyone is saying.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Well, when you have evil people in charge this is what happens.
Seems like a prerequisite for that level of office. Anyway, I gotta stop. I’m here for hockey.

OEL kept messing up his knee, which ruined his ability to skate backward and to pivot. At that point he was being walked by 4th liners instead of hanging with McDavid and Crosby types. He also somehow lost his wrist shot, which was the basis for most of his offense. There was a period where he was getting constantly rag-dolled into the boards and nobody on the Coyotes seemed to particularly mind which took its toll mentally and physically. I think it was a combination of bad culture and OEL being a bit disliked/checked out.
I remember an in between periods interview with Todd Walsh where OEL said something like “I don’t have a wrist shot anymore since I don’t have a wrist anymore” or something along those lines. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I exclaimed “what?!?!?” Our Emmy Award winning super journalist just ignored him and said whatever long winded, melodramatic, self indulgent, eye rolling nonsense he was planning to say anyway as he toned out the captain. And it was never brought up again.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Seems like a prerequisite for that level of office. Anyway, I gotta stop. I’m here for hockey.

I remember an in between periods interview with Todd Walsh where OEL said something like “I don’t have a wrist shot anymore since I don’t have a wrist anymore” or something along those lines. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I exclaimed “what?!?!?” Our Emmy Award winning super journalist just ignored him and said whatever long winded, melodramatic, self indulgent, eye rolling nonsense he was planning to say anyway as he toned out the captain. And it was never brought up again.
I remember exactly the interview you’re talking about…Todd just acted like OEL was joking or something and moved right along. No big deal that the captain and franchise player just said that he doesn’t have a wrist shot anymore. Wild haha.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Having had a bad wrist injury (broken bones with torn joint capsule and ligament damage) I can understand OEL's comments.

I lost significant grip strength, mobility/range of motion and stamina (hand fatigues easily).

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Having had a bad wrist injury (broken bones with torn joint capsule and ligament damage) I can understand OEL's comments.

I lost significant grip strength, mobility/range of motion and stamina (hand fatigues easily).
That, along with losing his mother, Doan being unceremoniously dumped overboard, a mush mouthed dullard being named head coach, the pressure of the captaincy and the giant contract all culminated into him going from easily a top 15 player at his position in the world, to purely replacement level. Sad stuff.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Our culture was so, so bad under RT, and was one line of a laundry list of bad under his tutelage. It's a period of our history I'd really prefer to forget, much like the last few seasons of DT.

I think @XX nailed the comparison of Simashev and Gavrikov. I do home Simashev is better after being selected 6OA, but it's a good baseline for our expectations.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Our culture was so, so bad under RT, and was one line of a laundry list of bad under his tutelage. It's a period of our history I'd really prefer to forget, much like the last few seasons of DT.

I think @XX nailed the comparison of Simashev and Gavrikov. I do home Simashev is better after being selected 6OA, but it's a good baseline for our expectations.
He better be way better than Gavrikov. Sixth overall come BIG expectations. Gavrikov is solid, but Simashev has to be all of that and then some.

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
He better be way better than Gavrikov. Sixth overall come BIG expectations. Gavrikov is solid, but Simashev has to be all of that and then some.
I don’t actually see the comparison, honestly. They’re both Russian, sure. Gavrikov is a big guy who’s a good skater for his size and plays a defense first game. But I don’t think they’re much alike when you watch them on the ice. I’ve been saying it and the more games I watch of Simashev the more I’m reinforced in the comp: K’Andre Miller.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don’t actually see the comparison, honestly. They’re both Russian, sure. Gavrikov is a big guy who’s a good skater for his size and plays a defense first game. But I don’t think they’re much alike when you watch them on the ice. I’ve been saying it and the more games I watch of Simashev the more I’m reinforced in the comp: K’Andre Miller.
I have no idea who he compares to, but with sixth overall will come some very big expectations. BA has stated that in his heart, when all is said and done, Simashev will be the second best player of his draft. Sounds a bit like Chayka:laugh: but here's hoping BA is right.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I have no idea who he compares to, but with sixth overall will come some very big expectations. BA has stated that in his heart, when all is said and done, Simashev will be the second best player of his draft. Sounds a bit like Chayka:laugh: but here's hoping BA is right.
I had the same thought. Chayka-esque. No upside to that comment. The draft felt a little Chayka-like. Trying to outfox the field. Big brain. Smartest guy in the room vibes. The difference is the collective resumes and reputations of BA and his staff. They have the track record to back it up. Doesn’t mean they’re right. Doesn’t mean they didn’t blow it. Just means benefit of the doubt.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I had the same thought. Chayka-esque. No upside to that comment. The draft felt a little Chayka-like. Trying to outfox the field. Big brain. Smartest guy in the room vibes. The difference is the collective resumes and reputations of BA and his staff. They have the track record to back it up. Doesn’t mean they’re right. Doesn’t mean they didn’t blow it. Just means benefit of the doubt.
At the end of the day all that really matters is results but I'm not really that much of a fan of Bill's cockiness. I just don't see the need to strut when you can just let your results speak for themselves.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
At the end of the day all that really matters is results but I'm not really that much of a fan of Bill's cockiness. I just don't see the need to strut when you can just let your results speak for themselves.
I agree absolutely...be humble, it's always a better look than the Chayka persona where you think you're the smartest person in the room. I like his passion and his ability to stick to his plan, but just don't be cocky.

Hopefully he will be able to back it up with results.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I agree absolutely...be humble, it's always a better look than the Chayka persona where you think you're the smartest person in the room. I like his passion and his ability to stick to his plan, but just don't be cocky.

Hopefully he will be able to back it up with results.
I think there’s a decent chance that this is just part of the culture or mindset they are trying to develop and let trickle down. Swagger. I think they want to see players with swagger and confidence in themselves and BA is simply modeling it in certain instances. Behind closed doors and in regular communications I really doubt they come off as cocky obnoxious guys.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I think there’s a decent chance that this is just part of the culture or mindset they are trying to develop and let trickle down. Swagger. I think they want to see players with swagger and confidence in themselves and BA is simply modeling it in certain instances. Behind closed doors and in regular communications I really doubt they come off as cocky obnoxious guys.
Agree.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I wanted Dvorsky. I think he's likely to hit as a 1 / 2 tweener C.

If Simashev can be a 1LD, then I guess there's more value in that. I'd be much more on board with the pick if he had more points. I guess offensive upside can still be there, it's just not obvious yet.

Regarding swagger... I don't care. I think Bill carries himself well and I think Chayka did too. Respect is earned and lost with results over time.

If you want to reach for a player that's fine. Hayton proved himself worthy. I think Soderstom will soon too. Fingers crossed for Simashev.

Simashev Soderstom
Moser Lamoureux
Valimaki Durzi
Duda Kesselring

that's an unsexy grouping but I think it can be excellent.

Reactions: Mosby

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I wanted Dvorsky. I think he's likely to hit as a 1 / 2 tweener C.

If Simashev can be a 1LD, then I guess there's more value in that. I'd be much more on board with the pick if he had more points. I guess offensive upside can still be there, it's just not obvious yet.

Regarding swagger... I don't care. I think Bill carries himself well and I think Chayka did too. Respect is earned and lost with results over time.

If you want to reach for a player that's fine. Hayton proved himself worthy. I think Soderstom will soon too. Fingers crossed for Simashev.

Simashev Soderstom
Moser Lamoureux
Valimaki Durzi
Duda Kesselring

that's an unsexy grouping but I think it can be excellent.
You’re missing Adam Jiricek.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
And BA will and should be judged accordingly among with his numerous other selections his scouting staff has made. Now the 2nd best player stuff is bluster but i do think we need to see how Leonard and Dvorsky pan out in comparison to Simashev. I think that is fair.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

OEL was also soft emotionally. He never grew…..seemed lost without Doan, Boeds, etc.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
100% agree. Panicked a little on draft day. Do have confidence in the team so hope they are as right as they are confident.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Yes. I think we can all agree that war is disgusting and horrific and should be stopped. It’s the most evil thing and I hate it.
If we all agreed, human history wouldn’t be defined by war and conquest. Violence against ourselves is as human as art and music. We are a species of conquerors.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I’ve seen about 45 sec of tape on Shimshov. Less on But. I suspect that the vast majority of the critics out there haven’t seen much more. Picking on the Coyotes is a high reward/low risk action given the general animosity against the team in parts North.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I’ve seen about 45 sec of tape on Shimshov. Less on But. I suspect that the vast majority of the critics out there haven’t seen much more. Picking on the Coyotes is a high reward/low risk action given the general animosity against the team in parts North.
You can watch all their games from last season for free on the MHL YouTube channel. It’s awesome. I’ve watched all their playoff games and like a dozen regular season games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad