Prospect Info: 2023 Draft #6: D Dimitri Simashev

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I personally know said intern.

John did what he could with what he had.

John was a generally decent person, everybody else in that front office was trash. All ex-London Knights personnel.
I think he is as well, until the very end when things went south. He was given too much power too quickly.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
cleanhitshockey.com
Reactions: MIGs Dog and lanky

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
Something that stayed with me a while back was an HF thread ranking top center/forward and top defenseman prospects for each team. This was two seasons ago and I believe the top three were Zegras/Drysdale, Stutzle/Sanderson and Raymond/Seider (they were being a bit light on prospect qualifications). I remember immediately thinking we need to have a similar combo and immediately wished we had taken Mateychuk.

I guess we finally have this in Cooley/Simashev. Time will tell how this combo ranks but there is part of me that is happy that we aren't going into our third draft of BA's rebuild without having what should be our top defenseman. So as much as I wanted to wait until the 24 draft, I am happy have used a top 10 pick on a defenseman.

I was never a huge fan of Reinbacher, I always felt like I was putting higher on lists just because was a defenseman (I believe I voted for him at 9 in our little poll and he was 10th on my list). But going into the draft I had already convinced myself that if we took him at 6 I would be alright with it just because of our lack of top end defensive prospects. I have the same rational for Vrabal, I don't like using a 1st or 2nd on a goalie but because of our lack of top end goalie prospects Im happy to finally have a stud in our stable.

After the initial shock of drafting Simashev and obviously trying to justify it with my very Coyotes friendly bias, I'm glad we took the grand slam approach with our first defenseman drafted in the top 15. I can honestly say I would be more disappointed had we drafted Reinbacher at 6 instead of Simashev. More risks absolutely, and I still would have preferred Leonard, but I'm starting to like this pick more than going Dvorsky.

This kid is humongous and his skating is top notch. He has all the traits of a top defenseman besides his offense which I believe is more a product of being in the KHL and is something that is much easier to learn than his natural traits.

I selfishly wish he would be able to play some big stage games like WJC just because I'd like to see him skyrocket on redraft and talking heads lists. But after researching him more I'm not too concerned of him not improving his stock considerably next season.

I don't know how to say this in a more worldly manner but he also seems very "western" for a young Russian so I'm also not so concerned about him coming over. But actually worries me a bit more, especially seeing the Fedotov contract, but again maybe that's a big reason why we grabbed both.

I'm not ready to put him at #2 on our prospects list and not sure he would crack my top 5 of under 24 list. But he's the type of player that if he shows signs of putting it all together he will fly up both lists.

Exciting prospect for sure. The uneasy feeling we all have is going into the uncharted (aka Russia) territory.

(This is another late night ramble because I can't sleep by Grimes)

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Something that stayed with me a while back was an HF thread ranking top center/forward and top defenseman prospects for each team. This was two seasons ago and I believe the top three were Zegras/Drysdale, Stutzle/Sanderson and Raymond/Seider (they were being a bit light on prospect qualifications). I remember immediately thinking we need to have a similar combo and immediately wished we had taken Mateychuk.

I guess we finally have this in Cooley/Simashev. Time will tell how this combo ranks but there is part of me that is happy that we aren't going into our third draft of BA's rebuild without having what should be our top defenseman. So as much as I wanted to wait until the 24 draft, I am happy have used a top 10 pick on a defenseman.

I was never a huge fan of Reinbacher, I always felt like I was putting higher on lists just because was a defenseman (I believe I voted for him at 9 in our little poll and he was 10th on my list). But going into the draft I had already convinced myself that if we took him at 6 I would be alright with it just because of our lack of top end defensive prospects. I have the same rational for Vrabal, I don't like using a 1st or 2nd on a goalie but because of our lack of top end goalie prospects Im happy to finally have a stud in our stable.

After the initial shock of drafting Simashev and obviously trying to justify it with my very Coyotes friendly bias, I'm glad we took the grand slam approach with our first defenseman drafted in the top 15. I can honestly say I would be more disappointed had we drafted Reinbacher at 6 instead of Simashev. More risks absolutely, and I still would have preferred Leonard, but I'm starting to like this pick more than going Dvorsky.

This kid is humongous and his skating is top notch. He has all the traits of a top defenseman besides his offense which I believe is more a product of being in the KHL and is something that is much easier to learn than his natural traits.

I selfishly wish he would be able to play some big stage games like WJC just because I'd like to see him skyrocket on redraft and talking heads lists. But after researching him more I'm not too concerned of him not improving his stock considerably next season.

I don't know how to say this in a more worldly manner but he also seems very "western" for a young Russian so I'm also not so concerned about him coming over. But actually worries me a bit more, especially seeing the Fedotov contract, but again maybe that's a big reason why we grabbed both.

I'm not ready to put him at #2 on our prospects list and not sure he would crack my top 5 of under 24 list. But he's the type of player that if he shows signs of putting it all together he will fly up both lists.

Exciting prospect for sure. The uneasy feeling we all have is going into the uncharted (aka Russia) territory.

Actually good reading and how I feel. Hope you had a good nights rest afterwards...

Reactions: Grimes

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I think the KHL just opened up a can of worms by signing the other Fedotov, Ivan Fedotov. It’s interesting that it happened to the same team who happens to own Michkov’s rights as well. I think there’s going to be a big push to get Michkov signed and over here real soon. Like this summer or next.

Another thing to add to that is the Flyers signing of Aleksi Kolosov yesterday. An NHL club signed a player who fully plans to play in the KHL for Dynamo Minsk next year. This whole KHL-NHL thing is getting interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimes

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
For anyone that is interested, check out this story from Bill Meltzer on the Ivan Fedotov case and KHL/NHL drama. “The Russian Factor” is real, moreso with some teams that do what they want. We heard Chris Peters talk about that risk after the draft. Most every Russian player will say, “it’s my dream to play in the NHL.” For some, that might be true, but the selection and intention of leaving helps create leverage that they have never had. Some might say, there is no leverage, because some teams will forcibly sign players like Ivan Fedotov. In the end, without a formal agreement the situation will depend on the KHL team and the player.

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
I think there’s going to be a big push to get Michkov signed and over here real soon. Like this summer or next.
Maybe it will happen, but SKA’s coach/GM said publicly before the draft, MM will serve the full contract. The interesting question is, will they let him leave at the end if he is an important player on the team? Will the extension he is offered make the Flyers rookie deal look silly?

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
BA and company did reiterate several times that they are happy with developmental program that Yaroslavl has in place. Seems to be a good organization in the KHL. I’m hoping that they have a good inside track in the organization to keep tabs on these players better. As for Simishev, the guy comes off very intelligent and polite. Very calculated individual. Not sure what his upside is but usually guys at that age are learning to play D not embracing his offensive potential. I’m excited to see his progression. A top 4 Dman that may or not get big point totals but will control the game with his skating and execution. I see now why we supposedly reached….

Reactions: rt and Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

You are like most posters here, trying to convince yourself that our picks were justified. Time will tell, but I think Shimachev may have been a reach at six. Kind of reminds me of the Hayton pick. I have only seen a few clips of Shimachev but man can he skate, handles the puck pretty good and loves to be involved in the play. Fingers crossed.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
BA and company did reiterate several times that they are happy with developmental program that Yaroslavl has in place. Seems to be a good organization in the KHL. I’m hoping that they have a good inside track in the organization to keep tabs on these players better. As for Simishev, the guy comes off very intelligent and polite. Very calculated individual. Not sure what his upside is but usually guys at that age are learning to play D not embracing his offensive potential. I’m excited to see his progression. A top 4 Dman that may or not get big point totals but will control the game with his skating and execution. I see now why we supposedly reached….

We are going to need someone to stop Bedard 6 times a season.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com

Great listen. Pretty interesting to hear their takes on guys like Dvorsky and Moore vs our picks. Lots of questions on upside, although they like them as prospects.

Iirc Brad had Simashev at 5 and But at 10 and the other guy had Simashev at 8 and But at 12. Both had Vrabal in the 1st. We essentially had their dream draft and validated their opinions.

Great quote was "if But was in the US program like Smith he'd be a top five pick".

Gotta get these guys over still, but we need to stay excited even when we don't see these guys in high ticket events or development camp. Good thing they are in one of the toughest leagues in the world to develop in

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Great listen. Pretty interesting to hear their takes on guys like Dvorsky and Moore vs our picks. Lots of questions on upside, although they like them as prospects.

Iirc Brad had Simashev at 5 and But at 10 and the other guy had Simashev at 8 and But at 12. Both had Vrabal in the 1st. We essentially had their dream draft and validated their opinions.

Great quote was "if But was in the US program like Smith he'd be a top five pick".

Gotta get these guys over still, but we need to stay excited even when we don't see these guys in high ticket events or development camp. Good thing they are in one of the toughest leagues in the world to develop in
Are these guys Russian scouts?:sarcasm:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
A couple of years back I was able to find a great store of MHL games on YouTube. I was able to watch quite a few MHK Dynamo Moskva games. I think it was 2020 maybe?

Anyway, I can’t find my way back. I lost my breadcrumb trail. I’m wondering if any of you guys can help me determine if there’s still a way to watch old MHL games. I’d love to watch Loko games from last season.

I remember finding Loko MHL games on YouTube when Beryozkin was on the team. I really wanted the Yotes to draft him that year. Edmonton got him.

Cameron Poe Dameron

Jul 19, 2022
A couple of years back I was able to find a great store of MHL games on YouTube. I was able to watch quite a few MHK Dynamo Moskva games. I think it was 2020 maybe?

Anyway, I can’t find my way back. I lost my breadcrumb trail. I’m wondering if any of you guys can help me determine if there’s still a way to watch old MHL games. I’d love to watch Loko games from last season.

I remember finding Loko MHL games on YouTube when Beryozkin was on the team. I really wanted the Yotes to draft him that year. Edmonton got him.
These are from the Belarus tournament management was at. In red, Duda is 8, Simashev 5, But 19.
If anyone found khl games of them I'd love to watch some.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
These are from the Belarus tournament management was at. In red, Duda is 8, Simashev 5, But 19.
If anyone found khl games of them I'd love to watch some.
You are the man!!! Thanks buddy!!!

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Having fun watching Loko’s first playoff game against Chaika. Great energy in the building. Fun game. Daniil But is out sick but getting a good look at Simashev and also ‘24 eligible Yegor Surin.

So far, I’m noticing Simashev takes a lot more risks pinching in the offensive zone than I expected. He has a lot of faith in his own wheels and long stick to bail him out of trouble if he makes a mistake. I expected a more conservative approach based on reports. But it’s one game. The size, skating, rush defense and gap control are all as advertised. He’s also had one of those big highlight reel rushes so. Culminating with him getting crushed against the end boards - haha.

This Surin is a mad man. Tons of energy and skill. Lots of mistakes and turnovers. Skilled but scrambly. Chaotic performance so far.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad