Pre-Game Talk: 2023/24 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Include me in the group that doesn’t like hearing Makar saying things like “mental grind” in training camp.

Shut this guy down until Christmas if you have to.
Need help grappling with how this could work without sinking our season.

I'm not a capolgist by any means but if we put Cale's 9M on LTIR for half the season, wouldn't we theoretically be able to bring in a 4.5M RD replacement and keep them both when Makar comes back right? With how Malinski has performed I wouldn't be upset if we made a trade for a 4/5 RD if it comes to it. But I have no idea if my very rudimentary understanding of the LTIR is right here or not.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Need help grappling with how this could work without sinking our season.

I'm not a capolgist by any means but if we put Cale's 9M on LTIR for half the season, wouldn't we theoretically be able to bring in a 4.5M RD replacement and keep them both when Makar comes back right? With how Malinski has performed I wouldn't be upset if we made a trade for a 4/5 RD if it comes to it. But I have no idea if my very rudimentary understanding of the LTIR is right here or not.
It does not work like that. LTIR only "works" if the player is injured until the end of regular season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Include me in the group that doesn’t like hearing Makar saying things like “mental grind” in training camp.

Shut this guy down until Christmas if you have to.
Been saying this for a few years now when it comes to Avs injuries.

The regular season doesn't mean f*** all to the Avs. I maintain Makar should not touch the ice for any NHL game until he and doctors both ensure he is 100% with zero lingering issues.

The last thing this team needs is to be the NHL's version of the LA Clippers having two top-10 talents yet never being able to use them together or see them at full health.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I think what’s happened with Gabe Landeskog has really scarred some people in terms of injuries.

That was a special circumstance.

I think Makar’s quote speaks for itself. Rehabbing from an injury all off-season sucks. It doesn’t mean that he’s not going to be fine to play. Seemingly lost in what’s being talked about here, is that Makar said that he’s confident he’ll be ready for opening night.

I also don’t see why we’re questioning Makar’s mental toughness, seeing as he’s a Conn Smyth winner and the driving force behind this teams’ Cup.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think what’s happened with Gabe Landeskog has really scarred some people in terms of injuries.

I think Makar’s quote speaks for itself. Rehabbing from an injury all off-season sucks. It doesn’t mean that he’s not going to be fine to play. Seemingly lost in what’s being talked about here, is that Makar said that he’s confident he’ll be ready for opening night.

I also don’t see why we’re questioning Makar’s mental toughness, seeing as he’s a Conn Smyth winner and the driving force behind this teams’ Cup.
If it is something that bothered him last season, had him rehabbing in the offseaaon and is still bothering him as we approach this season there is legitimate cause for major concern.

Sit him until he's healthy.

• Wow
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

That's a far cry from being anywhere close to 100%.

And he shouldn't be playing at all if he isn't 100%... And if he's been dealing with this injury for this long and the rehab process still isn't going the way they want it to... It absolutely is cause for major concern.

If anything the Landy situation has made us all more acutely aware of the bad warning signs and Cale is chalk full of em right now. It increasingly sounds like a Landy situation of needing a major surgery but trying other alternatives without much success and simply delaying the inevitable.

Now, that isn't to say Cales career is in jeopardy... We obviously aren't anywhere near that point. But it does seem pretty clear that there's something fairly significant going on here.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
This is a bit ridiculous. I think I need a hiatus from this site till opening night. :laugh:

A couple parting thoughts…

1. Cale Makar is very particular about his body. Anybody who’s followed the Avalanche knows this. Especially when it comes to regular season hockey. You’ll never hear about anything in the playoffs (and he never misses playoff games unless he’s suspended lol), but in the regular season, he’s always got something nagging. And I think it’s likely the same stuff a lot of NHL players deal with regularly.

2. Look at the video from practice. I don’t see someone labouring at all. In fact, he looks completely fine to me.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Makar is actually lulling all our opponents into a false sense of security. Oh Makar's not 100%, we can target him or we don't have to worry. BUT THEN.

1696166871146.png

• Haha
Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
We have strong enough team to make the playoffs without Makar. If he needs an extra rest, that's what you'll have to do.
I agree, but what the economic side thing? Will Makar’s absense mean lower income from tickets, merch, etc. Will that factor into how management deals with it? Genuinely interested.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I see Tyler Seguin has reached the point in his career where he no longer gets to stay home for preseason and instead accompanies the scrubs on the road.

Gotta pick up some extra duties when your play doesn't really warrant your paycheck anymore. Or has inflation got to the level where he isn't quite as overpaid as you'd expect lol?

Talk about two good players that have had sort of nothing sandwiches for careers in Taylor and Tyler.

Reactions: AvsGuy

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Where is all of this shut Makar down until he's 100% injury business coming from? Did I miss something? I mean I know he's been rehabbing and was late to join camp but that's all I've read.
It's all speculative. Mostly just concern because of how long the rehab's taking. Also our past injury luck is, you know, shit.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Where is all of this shut Makar down until he's 100% injury business coming from? Did I miss something? I mean I know he's been rehabbing and was late to join camp but that's all I've read.
Bednar said that "most guys" aren't 100% and Makar should try to play anyway:

8WAo7Dd.png

Makar said that his situation didn't get any better but will play through it and hope for the best:

sq0V5PT.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Tralfamadore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad