Pre-Game Talk: 2023/24 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

phb1f9V.jpeg

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Compher 6'0
Malgin 5'9
Newhook 5'11
Meyers 5'11
Etc

Johansen 6'3
Pavel 6'2
Olofsson 6'2
Tufte 6'6
Wood 6'2 (and hits everything)
Colton 6'0 (and plays heavy)

Pretty clear that there's been a decision to get bigger this off-season

I think it's a necessity at this point. The team is getting too expensive to just have "Avs type players", you're going to have to mix it up a bit while still maintaining the team identity.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
In what I've seen, Malinski isn't going to be the answer at RD on this team. He's improved from the first game and he's certainly going to get games... but his style is not going to get him much of a leash. His defense and decisions were spotty (at best) and he gets beat a lot physically... even against lower competition. That won't land him a spot long term if it doesn't improve. His puck moving and offense have been there. Going to be interesting to see if Clurman gets the game tomorrow and what role he plays.

Olofsson has clearly won the 4C role IMO. He plays the way Bednar wants and has had more of a positive impact than others in that role.

As I've said for a while since his signing, Tufte is getting games. At this point, he should break camp on a 4th line wing role. Just sit Cogs to let him really heal and when and eventual injury hits, there isn't a risk.

Aamodt is going to be a call-up a few times this season once injuries mount. I'm not a huge fan of how he's looked, but they are putting him in situations that clearly show they want to get a view of his game in areas.

OO is insanely frustrating. You see his shot and skating and those can clearly make differences. He's just such a poor player away from the puck and gets lost so easily... he has zero idea how to defend in his own zone. And he fumbles the puck so much... He just has to get passable in those areas to get a chance in the middle 6, as his shot/skating are good enough today. Big year for him to show improvement.

Outside of Drouin and Lehky, the NHL guys last night just looked like they were going through the motions. Clearly Drouin is trying to impress, and it is working.

Squared also needs a NHL contract. Don't go through the risk of putting him through waivers (even if it is very, very unlikely he gets claimed) midseason. Just get it signed and have him available.

Kiviranta has also earned a contract. I wouldn't start the season with him up, but a 1 way league minimum deal.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Ivan Ivan and Arvid Homl re-assigned to the AHL.

Really would've liked to have seen Ivan get an ELC, not sure what the f*** he has to do to get one.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Ivan Ivan and Arvid Homl re-assigned to the AHL.

Really would've liked to have seen Ivan get an ELC, not sure what the f*** he has to do to get one.
Until Ivan plays a regular season game, he can be signed without waivers. So still a chance he can (and the Avs have signed mid-season guys before).

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Until Ivan plays a regular season game, he can be signed without waivers. So still a chance he can (and the Avs have signed mid-season guys before).
But if he signed an ELC now and the Avs (for whatever reason) wanted him to play in a regular season game, he would or would not need waivers?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
But if he signed an ELC now and the Avs (for whatever reason) wanted him to play in a regular season game, he would or would not need waivers?
He would not need waivers if he signs prior to playing for the Eagles in a regular season game. If he signs after that, he only needs waivers for the initial registration of the contract. Then from there normal rules apply.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
He would not need waivers if he signs prior to playing for the Eagles in a regular season game. If he signs after that, he only needs waivers for the initial registration of the contract. Then from there normal rules apply.
And so the probability that he's plucked off waivers mid-season in this case would be higher. I mean he's a cheap ELC.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Compher 6'0
Malgin 5'9
Newhook 5'11
Meyers 5'11
Etc

Johansen 6'3
Pavel 6'2
Olofsson 6'2
Tufte 6'6
Wood 6'2 (and hits everything)
Colton 6'0 (and plays heavy)

Pretty clear that there's been a decision to get bigger this off-season

I also got bigger this off-season, but unfortunately more in the Annunen style of things rather than growing taller.

Reactions: missionAvs

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
And so the probability that he's plucked off waivers mid-season in this case would be higher. I mean he's a cheap ELC.
They go from zero to maybe a few percent. It isn't like the risk is super high, it just goes from nothing to something. I'd personally sign him soon. He earned it, the Avs only have 45 contracts, and a bunch that expire this year.

Reactions: Bender

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
They go from zero to maybe a few percent. It isn't like the risk is super high, it just goes from nothing to something. I'd personally sign him soon. He earned it, the Avs only have 45 contracts, and a bunch that expire this year.
It always feels like they're shy about having too many contracts on the books, which on one hand I can understand; but on the other when you have a guy come in like Ivan Ivan, who showed way more than many probably expected, and earned an ELC, you should do right by the guy and sign him to his ELC. Get him whatever the ELC signing bonus is and all that. You reward him and do right by him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It always feels like they're shy about having too many contracts on the books, which on one hand I can understand; but on the other when you have a guy come in like Ivan Ivan, who showed way more than many probably expected, and earned an ELC, you should do right by the guy and sign him to his ELC. Get him whatever the ELC signing bonus is and all that. You reward him and do right by him.
I don't feel like the Avs are incredibly stingy with contracts. When you're signing guys like Stienburg, Beaucage, and Miner... you are more worried about losing rights than they are about contract spots.

Now saying that, we know they have an offer on the table for Holland. Then you have Kiviranta. That would put them at 47 if you have both. Pull in Squared and suddenly you're at 48. The Avs are mostly cash in/cash out for moves, but 48 does start to limit some flexibility. It means you can't surf waivers that much and you have to convince teams to take on contracts with rentals. Most teams set their contract number at 46/47 to maintain that flexibility. The solution here is to simply not sign Holland, but they could potentially be waiting on that news.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I don't feel like the Avs are incredibly stingy with contracts. When you're signing guys like Stienburg, Beaucage, and Miner... you are more worried about losing rights than they are about contract spots.

Now saying that, we know they have an offer on the table for Holland. Then you have Kiviranta. That would put them at 47 if you have both. Pull in Squared and suddenly you're at 48. The Avs are mostly cash in/cash out for moves, but 48 does start to limit some flexibility. It means you can't surf waivers that much and you have to convince teams to take on contracts with rentals. Most teams set their contract number at 46/47 to maintain that flexibility. The solution here is to simply not sign Holland, but they could potentially be waiting on that news.
I believe Baugh mentioned last night that Holland decided to accept the offer to attend Eagles camp

I guess it's either sign him mid-season, or tell him that he'll have an ELC waiting for him after the season is over. Just kinda sucks for the kid since he impressed at camp and earned something.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I believe Baugh mentioned last night that Holland decided to accept the offer to attend Eagles camp

I guess it's either sign him mid-season, or tell him that he'll have an ELC waiting for him after the season is over. Just kinda sucks for the kid since he impressed at camp and earned something.
Missed that on Holland. Ivan won't be the first of last kid to have that happen. Pro sports are brutal. I do hope they sign him personally. They have some time to avoid the waivers situation (13th is their first game IIRC), so maybe we just have to be patient.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Missed that on Holland. Ivan won't be the first of last kid to have that happen. Pro sports are brutal. I do hope they sign him personally. They have some time to avoid the waivers situation (13th is their first game IIRC), so maybe we just have to be patient.
So Holland still isn't signed to a contract, right? He's just still on a PTO but now (apparently) going to report to Eagles camp. That's how I'm interpreting that, and lack of a "We've signed Peter Holland" tweet that seems to back it up, yeah?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So Holland still isn't signed to a contract, right? He's just still on a PTO but now (apparently) going to report to Eagles camp. That's how I'm interpreting that, and lack of a "We've signed Peter Holland" tweet that seems to back it up, yeah?
It just means his PTO is still valid and both parties intend to look further.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Outside of Drouin and Lehky, the NHL guys last night just looked like they were going through the motions.
Lehky was the most noticeable and was the reason his line did well. This guy only has one speed. He's like Calvert.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
May I ask a clarifying question on this: So he'd need waivers for the initial registration of the contract, but would he still have waiver exemption if he passed after that initial registration? So, for instance he signs mid-season, passes waivers for the registration, but then doesn't break camp w/ the Avs next year, would he need waivers again or would he still maintain some sort of exemption?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad