Pre-Game Talk: 2023/24 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't think any who played tonight other than JJ, Dermy, Hunt and Annunen are in good favor with Bednar. This seemed like a lineup chosen to see what his lower tier guys could bring. I expect everyone, except the ones I listed plus Meyers and the PTO guys to hit the chopping block the next round of cuts.
Tufte has been getting Bednar praise all camp. Kiva and Olaffson are probably fine by Bednar.

NHL makes you suit up a certain amount of NHL experienced guys per game and clearly Bednar was giving his absolutely making the team guys a break by not making then travel. And also giving guys on PTOs every shot to show they belong on the roster or someone else's roster.

I would guess a lot of the younger guys are going to be cut today.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014

Meyers right now:

1696001748699.gif

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

No Bo. Everyone FREAK OUT!

Seems that Ivan Ivan is the one who has separated himself for the 4C job so far. Also interesting to see Ahcan and Schueneman in that group ahead of Hunt.

My favorite part of training camp is Bednar saying Drouin isn't guaranteed to play with MacKinnon then immediately cementing Drouin to MacKinnon.
Bednar will drop Drouin like a rock if he doesn't produce or buy in defensively once games start to matter.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
My favorite part of training camp is Bednar saying Drouin isn't guaranteed to play with MacKinnon then immediately cementing Drouin to MacKinnon.
I'm fine with that, what I don't like is cementing Rantanen to that line, and not a guy that can play some defense and win behind the net like Nuke or Lehky, and then putting two grinders with RyJo, and 3 shooters together on the 3rd line.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'm fine with that, what I don't like is cementing Rantanen to that line, and not a guy that can play some defense and win behind the net like Nuke or Lehky, and then putting two grinders with RyJo, and 3 shooters together on the 3rd line.

I agree on all fronts. Drouin's best chance at success is to be glued to MacKinnon all season, they know this.

Meanwhile the second line badly needs a player of Rantanen's caliber.

I think we see a shuffle within a few weeks of the regular season

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nuke
Lehkonen - RyJo - Rantanen

I could see RyJo and Rantanen doing some damage together.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Seems that Ivan Ivan is the one who has separated himself for the 4C job so far. Also interesting to see Ahcan and Schueneman in that group ahead of Hunt.

Bednar will drop Drouin like a rock if he doesn't produce or buy in defensively once games start to matter.

True underdog story for Ivan Ivan to win a job as a walk on from juniors.

Did lehky and nuke play together at all last season? I think it can work its just they would be so good next to mack and rantanen.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
True underdog story for Ivan Ivan to win a job as a walk on from juniors.

Did lehky and nuke play together at all last season? I think it can work its just they would be so good next to mack and rantanen.
They have played together some, but I really don't like it. too much of the same thing, they end up tromping on each other and making the line less effective.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
If Johansen can score and distribute the puck well from the bumper that would provide an element to the power play they haven’t really had for a long time.

Kadri had a solid shot from there, but couldn’t do anything in terms of puck movement. Lehkonen moved the puck well, but wasn’t a shot threat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad