Pre-Game Talk: 2023/24 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

All this talk about Cale had me thinking the worst. Then I go back back and see the source off all that is Cale skating in a non contact jersey???

We knew he was injured last year and said he spent the whole summer rehabbing. We knew he said he wasn't 100% yet. We knew he hadn't taken part in camp. We knew Bednar said he didn't have to see him in pre-season.

Him skating in a non contact jersey should be a good sign not a bad sign. If he wasn't back skating that would have been a bad sign.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Makar is missing preseason games?

1695843251507.gif

On the power play… kinda surprised Lehkonen beat out Nichushkin for the top unit.

I assume Johansen is playing the bumper? That means Lehkonen is the low man? I probably would’ve went with Val there, but I do like Lehkonen’s ability to one-touch passes.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
In our neverending quest for a PP bumper, we now have RyJo there. The Nashville fans were saying he's great in front of the net. So I'm not very happy about this. Lehky and Nuke are okay as net front guy, but our best guy by far has been Landy. Since he's obviously not playing this year, I was excited to see RyJo there. But alas, that dream has been struck down. I'll never understand Bennett and/or Bednar's insistence of having a right hand shooter in the bumper.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
In our neverending quest for a PP bumper, we now have RyJo there. The Nashville fans were saying he's great in front of the net. So I'm not very happy about this. Lehky and Nuke are okay as net front guy, but our best guy by far has been Landy. Since he's obviously not playing this year, I was excited to see RyJo there. But alas, that dream has been struck down. I'll never understand Bennett and/or Bednar's insistence of having a right hand shooter in the bumper.
Drouin would probably be pretty good at the bumper given his hockey IQ and he's a good distributor of the puck.

Reactions: sethro109

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

It certainly has been a revolving door, but I actually like RyJo as a bumper option. I haven't seen much of him as the net front guy, but IMO Val is pretty good there so I'm ok with that setup.

We saw RyJo's quick release on his PP goal in the bumper against Vegas too. Mikko will likely be able to set him up just like Drouin did, and he can keep PK's guessing by using Cale at the point, and Nate's one timer on the other side as decoys. And vice versa.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Guys in the bumper spot get hacked/slashed/cross checked non-stop, have to make quick plays, and don't touch the puck too often on this team. I think that would be a complete waste of Drouin's talent and the worst possible spot for him.

I liked where they had him last game as it gives him a lot of room to handle the puck and try to make plays. He set up Johansen for the goal and made a couple of other good reads. One of them was the pass that went right through the crease because the player in front missed the tip (forget who it was) and another was drawing the defense in and then finding a lane to send it back to an open Byram for a chance.

Reactions: Alienblood

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think a righty is actually better in the bumper spot on this team.

Nate's mostly a pure one timer option on the left side. Other than that he's mostly passing back to Cale or occasionally passing through the box for Mikko's one timer. In theory he could also pass to a righty for a quick wrist shot.

Mikko though is the setup man on the PP half wall. And not that Nate is a bad passer, but Mikko is elite. If you want someone setting up the bumper spot for a one timer, it's better if it's lefties like Mikko or Drouin from the right half wall, where they can also use Cale's one timer from the point as a decoy.

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
Fully prepared for Cale to be Landeskog part 2. Could have had a surgery in May and been ready to go. Will waste the 5 months of offseason and decide to have a procedure here soon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad