Pre-Game Talk: 2023/24 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Kinda crazy how the oldest list, and youngest list is only separated by .4 years.
I'd say its a good representation of the fine line in this league between being a young team versus an aging team.

Avs have essentially crossed that threshold in the matter of a year or two. They aren't "old" yet, but they're only a year or two away from that designation.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I'd say its a good representation of the fine line in this league between being a young team versus an aging team.

Avs have essentially crossed that threshold in the matter of a year or two. They aren't "old" yet, but they're only a year or two away from that designation.
If we swapped out JJ and Cogs with some young guys, we'd probably still be on the youngest list. I think that's a pretty fine indication that our core is in their prime winning years right now.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
If we swapped out JJ and Cogs with some young guys, we'd probably still be on the youngest list. I think that's a pretty fine indication that our core is in their prime winning years right now.
Yeah average age is a misleading stat. Teams like Dallas and LA are much more reliant on their older guys in Pavelski, Benn, Seguin, Kopitar and Doughty as opposed to the Avs with JJ, Cogs and Tatar.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Even better if they succeed in trading Manson next summer which would also help with the cap.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Pretty much every team has a couple old guys they could do the same with. I don’t know why people are head in the
sand about this. Avs are no longer young by any real measure.

I don’t get defending the OO pick by ‘they didn’t really miss anybody’ either. There are picks already better behind him and some that are trending better. The Avs took a chance on a tools guy with no IQ. That has shown to be a tendency of theirs.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Yeah the '21 draft was pretty bad from picks 10-32. Some decent names but overall a pretty meh group. That said if you walk away with a Olen Zellweger or a Ryker Evans (who went early 2nd), you're in a position to move Girard and clear that cap.

I don't blame them too much for the Olausson pick because-

A) Olausson has talent. This isn't a Mitchell Heard or AJ Greer or even Martin Kaut situation. The size/shot/skating for Olausson is NHL caliber. It's everything else where the issues lie. I didn't watch him in his draft year, but his numbers were quite good for a draft eligible player in J20. Not a crazy shot to take at 28th overall.

B) Hardly any hockey was played that year because of covid. Just a strange year altogether.

Avs certainly aren't young anymore, but cap weighted age would a much better measure. A few outliers like JJ and Cogliano who play minimal roles skew the results here.
Right, cap or TOI weighted.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Enjoy the moment ladies and gents.

I feel like we spend so much time on this board worrying about the future and not enjoying what this team/core has provided for the past 5/6 years.

One of the most exciting teams in the league, a Stanley Cup Championship, six straight playoff appearances. It’s been a great run and I don’t think anyone has to worry that it’s ending in the next couple seasons.

I think this years team is one of the best they’ve iced during the 6 year run too, so enjoy the ride Avs fam.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Enjoy the moment ladies and gents.

I feel like we spend so much time on this board worrying about the future and not enjoying what this team/core has provided for the past 5/6 years.

One of the most exciting teams in the league, a Stanley Cup Championship, six straight playoff appearances. It’s been a great run and I don’t think anyone has to worry that it’s ending in the next couple seasons.

I think this years team is one of the best they’ve iced during the 6 year run too, so enjoy the ride Avs fam.
I wouldn’t confuse chatter with worry. Filling time and it is a discussion that matters. What the age really says if they cannot be wasting years. Have to strike while the iron is hot. They went risk/reward this summer out of necessity, but the reward is potentially high enough. Along with that, they shouldn’t be afraid to add more by the deadline.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Pretty much every team has a couple old guys they could do the same with. I don’t know why people are head in the
sand about this. Avs are no longer young by any real measure.

I don’t get defending the OO pick by ‘they didn’t really miss anybody’ either. There are picks already better behind him and some that are trending better. The Avs took a chance on a tools guy with no IQ. That has shown to be a tendency of theirs.
You are right...the Avs aren't a young team anymore. With that said I don't know why people are head in the sand about agreeing they are still in better shape then a lot of the "old teams" on that list due to their best players being relatively younger than the other teams' best players.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You are right...the Avs aren't a young team anymore. With that said I don't know why people are head in the sand about agreeing they are still in better shape then a lot of the "old teams" on that list due to their best players being relatively younger than the other teams' best players.
Depends on the team, but some of those teams have an abundance of 20-24 year old guys who are looking like future key players. Avs have Byram. So while in Dallas, Seguin is regressing hard, they have Johnston who looks like a legit future 1C.

What all of this means, is the Avs window is finite. How finite is up for debate. There is a lot of history showing that pure age wise… a year or two is most likely. Three tops. That excludes the cap issues. Avs need to simply be all in because they don’t have reinforcements coming that can sustain. Win while you can

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I wouldn’t confuse chatter with worry. Filling time and it is a discussion that matters. What the age really says if they cannot be wasting years. Have to strike while the iron is hot. They went risk/reward this summer out of necessity, but the reward is potentially high enough. Along with that, they shouldn’t be afraid to add more by the deadline.

It wasn’t meant to be a finger waving post. Always appreciate the off-season conversations, simply saying that it’s been a great run and it’s not ending in the next couple years.

I’m speaking for myself as well. I can get caught up looking years ahead and not realizing they could literally win it all this season and they’ve already done it once.

Being an Avs fan has been good living for a while. It won’t last forever, so enjoy it while it lasts. That’s how I’m looking at it. Because a time will come where they’re back to being middle of the pack team, or a bottom feeder and it might be a really long time before this kind of build happens again.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It wasn’t meant to be a finger waving post. Always appreciate the off-season conversations, simply saying that it’s been a great run and it’s not ending in the next couple years.

I’m speaking for myself as well. I can get caught up looking years ahead and not realizing they could literally win it all this season and they’ve already done it once.

Being an Avs fan has been good living for a while. It won’t last forever, so enjoy it while it lasts. That’s how I’m looking at it. Because a time will come where they’re back to being middle of the pack team, or a bottom feeder and it might be a really long time before this kind of build happens again.
Completely agree!

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

Like I said earlier, the fact that we already won with this core is awesome and everything on top of it is a bonus. Because winning just once is so damn hard. Doing what Tampa has done, or Chicago or Penguins is not that common. Most cores win once. Or rather, most cores don't win at all.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah average age is a misleading stat. Teams like Dallas and LA are much more reliant on their older guys in Pavelski, Benn, Seguin, Kopitar and Doughty as opposed to the Avs with JJ, Cogs and Tatar.

Tatar is going to end up being a Top 6 forward for ice in ice time, he's hardly a big difference to the likes of Seguin, Pavelski, Benn.

The only guy you just listed that's going to be relied upon like a true core player is Doughty. All of the rest will be in the same "Complimentary to the core" role as the likes of Tatar/Manson.

Also sure is convenient you mention 31 year old Seguin but choose not to include 31 year old Johansen for the Avs. Both of whom will likely be playing very similar roles for each team this year, with Seguin possibly even playing a lesser role than Johansen.

And on the flip side of that, the 2nd youngest guy on our roster is projected to be the 4C... It goes both ways.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The kids from the 2021 draft are 20 years old and most haven’t played pro yet. Theres only so many Wyatt Johnston miracles that are already able to play in addition to top 10 picks at this point. The real issue is Olausson playing AHL too early, if he was still in Sweden he’d have hype. Agents need to stop agreeing to contract slides in the AHL, it rarely benefits the player.

As far as Malinski I wouldn’t say he dominated. He was pretty quiet most of the game but he was obviously effective. That was similar to his AHL run, nothing mindblowing but picked up some points. That will get him games for sure but he’s not a wow you type of player. Not that anyone will get to watch him in preseason to see it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The kids from the 2021 draft are 20 years old and most haven’t played pro yet. Theres only so many Wyatt Johnston miracles that are already able to play in addition to top 10 picks at this point. The real issue is Olausson playing AHL too early, if he was still in Sweden he’d have hype. Agents need to stop agreeing to contract slides in the AHL, it rarely benefits the player.

As far as Malinski I wouldn’t say he dominated. He was pretty quiet most of the game but he was obviously effective. That was similar to his AHL run, nothing mindblowing but picked up some points. That will get him games for sure but he’s not a wow you type of player. Not that anyone will get to watch him in preseason to see it.
Olausson didn't have a good +1 in the OHL... the problem isn't hype, it is his lack of IQ.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad