Pre-Game Talk: 2023/24 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
And Johnston could be one and done. It goes both ways.

I only saw a few people say they have one of the younger core in the league. I saw a lot more people argue that they are in a better shape than the other older teams.
Could be, but he has a season where he was a top 5 rookie. Byram could bust. MacK spontaneously combust. Hintz might be Pavelski fountain of youth. We simply don't know.

I've seen both and more. I've seen on the better shape side, ignore young players or that a team might be more weighted towards 22-24 guys. I have yet to see more than a select handful of people believe the Avs are on the old side. Which by no matter which measure you want to go buy, they are on the older side. They aren't Penguins old, but they are not nearly as young as Devils. Which doesn't mean it ends this year or next year or even 4 years from now... what it means is statistically the risk of regression is rising significantly. Cores with more than 1 guy over 30 simply don't win often (Vegas did it last year). Teams that are on average old, also don't win often. Even elite players over 30 don't win often (just look at the oldest Crosby, Gretzky, Lemuiex, etc won their Cups). There are lots of reasons from this that range from quality of play to lack of excess value contracts.

The whole idea of this is to maximize what happens today. It isn't to say the Avs are F'd today. The Avs wasted last season. There are zero guarantees the Avs age well. They have not drafted and developed high end talent to supplant this core and give a solid 4-5 year future. They need to push hard while they can. They cannot wait for 3 years to hope the depth comes around or the contract situations improve. They need to maximize the next few years as much as possible.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Could be, but he has a season where he was a top 5 rookie. Byram could bust. MacK spontaneously combust. Hintz might be Pavelski fountain of youth. We simply don't know.

I've seen both and more. I've seen on the better shape side, ignore young players or that a team might be more weighted towards 22-24 guys. I have yet to see more than a select handful of people believe the Avs are on the old side. Which by no matter which measure you want to go buy, they are on the older side. They aren't Penguins old, but they are not nearly as young as Devils. Which doesn't mean it ends this year or next year or even 4 years from now... what it means is statistically the risk of regression is rising significantly. Cores with more than 1 guy over 30 simply don't win often (Vegas did it last year). Teams that are on average old, also don't win often. Even elite players over 30 don't win often (just look at the oldest Crosby, Gretzky, Lemuiex, etc won their Cups). There are lots of reasons from this that range from quality of play to lack of excess value contracts.

The whole idea of this is to maximize what happens today. It isn't to say the Avs are F'd today. The Avs wasted last season. There are zero guarantees the Avs age well. They have not drafted and developed high end talent to supplant this core and give a solid 4-5 year future. They need to push hard while they can. They cannot wait for 3 years to hope the depth comes around or the contract situations improve. They need to maximize the next few years as much as possible.
Well...I see this is a waste of my time. :laugh:

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Is Johansen fails you gotta go get Schiefele or someone of that calibre at the deadline

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Hench, what's the definintion of 'core' here?

Top 9/Top4/Starting goaler? Just the top half dozen elite players on the team?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hench, what's the definintion of 'core' here?

Top 9/Top4/Starting goaler? Just the top half dozen elite players on the team?
The guys teams build around and commit to. Not the supplemental guys you grab for roles that can include those higher impact.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I think Colton and Ryjo will be better fits overall for this team. While I think Kadri was a lightning strike in a bottle for one season to be a perfect fit, I actually prefer Ryjo and Colton to Kadri and Compher.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I think Colton and Ryjo will be better fits overall for this team. While I think Kadri was a lightning strike in a bottle for one season to be a perfect fit, I actually prefer Ryjo and Colton to Kadri and Compher.

Kadri is still easily the best player of those four, but he's going to age out soon. Unfortunately, RyJo already has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad