Pre-Game Talk: 2023/24 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Not sure if Ivan Ivan should ever make the team. Not interested in hearing that name all day, and not interested in even one quip about it from any color commentator or Liles.
ivans of the world unite, we will not stand for this injustice :!

Lol

• Haha
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
You mean Ivan “legend of the ECHL” Ivan? I like him too. Seems like he will make the Eagles this year.
It would be an injustice if Stienburg makes it over him. I think he makes it over Sandlin and maybe a disappointment like Beaucage.

Only caught some glimpses of this. Who are we excited about? Polin and Ivan squared?
Ivan with another 2 goals and a few more great chances. Great offensive hockey sense, tracks the puck well. Hanzel scored a nice goal, pin point wrister and knew how to jump into the play. Everyone else was just solid and hustled all over the ice. OO clearly super talented but if its not an individual effort, he's not doing much.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Only caught some glimpses of this. Who are we excited about? Polin and Ivan squared?
Also thought Hanzel played well but I’m a T-Birds fan so I guess I’m biased.

I’d say O.O. And Steinburg stood out as the suckiest of the bunch.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Hanzel as well.

Olausson has been invisible in the first game and terrible today. Not looking good so far. He needs to pick it up by a bunch.

Reactions: Metallo

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Hanzel as well.

Olausson has been invisible in the first game and terrible today. Not looking good so far. He needs to pick it up by a bunch.
Yeah, OO got a bad penalty and got rough up all game. Maybe he thinks he's above these Rookie tournaments because he scored some NHL preseason goals.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You guys make too much out of the whole Olausson thing. If he doesn’t pan out it’s not a big surprise. The dude was drafted 28 overall in a bad draft. It’s not like he’s a top 10 pick or anything

Reactions: lionsDen

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
JFC Olausson with 3 botched exits in a single shift.
1694992817473.gif

Reactions: Metallo

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
You guys make too much out of the whole Olausson thing. If he doesn’t pan out it’s not a big surprise. The dude was drafted 28 overall in a bad draft. It’s not like he’s a top 10 pick or anything
At some point the Avs have to find talent deeper in the draft. Their record is atrocious. The problem with OO is that he is regressing. He needs to find the right mindset.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
At some point the Avs have to find talent deeper in the draft. Their record is atrocious. The problem with OO is that he is regressing. He needs to find the right mindset.
I agree as far as Avs needing to find talent deeper in the draft, but this particular draft where they drafted Olausson at 28 wasn’t that draft because it was a weak draft. However, I hope they get a player out of Ritchie. This was a deeper draft and they kept the picks instead of trading them so they need Ritchie or Gulyayev to pan out, or both

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Oh, okay. You can draft those?
If your amateur scouting department is competent you can:laugh:

Actually in Milic’s case he was drafted in the 5th round (151OA) so we couldn’t have gotten him this year anyway but our goalie history is pretty bad.

We shall see if our new Director of Scouting actually gets a chance to make his mark on our system. I’m not sure if Kippenstein or Kono are still in touch with O’Dette but I feel like they must have been in order to take Hanzel with their 6th.

I should point out he was taken 4 spots before we drafted Ishimnikov.:oops:

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
What's crazy is this drafting feels like punishment for how insane the Avs' scouting staff was at finding legitimate NHLers from 1996 - 2004. Just look at this track record:

1996:
Mark Parrish - 3rd Round
Brian Willsie - 6th Round
Dan Hinote - 7th Round
Samuel Pahlsson - 7th Round

1997:
Ville Neimenen - 3rd Round
David Aebischer - 6th Round

1998:
Alex Tanguay - 1st Round
Martin Skoula - 1st Round
Robyn Regehr - 1st Round
Steve Moore - 2nd Round

1999:
Branko Radivojevic - 3rd Round
Riku Hahl - 6th Round
Radim Vrbata - 7th Round
Jeff Finger - 8th Round

2000:
Kurt Sauer - 3rd Round
John-Michael Liles - 5th Round

2001:
Peter Budaj - 2nd Round
Cody McCormick - 5th Round
Marek Svatos - 7th Round

2002:
Johnny Boychuk - 2nd Round
Tom Gilbert - 4th Round

2003:
Brad Richardson - 5th Round
David Jones - 9th Round

2004:
Wojtek Wolski - 1st Round
Brandon Yip - 8th Round

2005:
Paul Stastny - 2nd Round

It really falls off after 2005 save for the 2009 grand slam draft with Duchene, O'Reilly, and Barrie. Felt like every year, though, the Avs were getting legitimate NHL talent drafted whether they played for the Avs or were used in trades.

IMO if you can come out of every draft with 2 NHL caliber players, your scouting staff is doing its job. For 9 years in a row the Avs staff could say they did that. Not anymore.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
What's crazy is this drafting feels like punishment for how insane the Avs' scouting staff was at finding legitimate NHLers from 1996 - 2004. Just look at this track record:

1996:
Mark Parrish - 3rd Round
Brian Willsie - 6th Round
Dan Hinote - 7th Round
Samuel Pahlsson - 7th Round

1997:
Ville Neimenen - 3rd Round
David Aebischer - 6th Round

1998:
Alex Tanguay - 1st Round
Martin Skoula - 1st Round
Robyn Regehr - 1st Round
Steve Moore - 2nd Round

1999:
Branko Radivojevic - 3rd Round
Riku Hahl - 6th Round
Radim Vrbata - 7th Round
Jeff Finger - 8th Round

2000:
Kurt Sauer - 3rd Round
John-Michael Liles - 5th Round

2001:
Peter Budaj - 2nd Round
Cody McCormick - 5th Round
Marek Svatos - 7th Round

2002:
Johnny Boychuk - 2nd Round
Tom Gilbert - 4th Round

2003:
Brad Richardson - 5th Round
David Jones - 9th Round

2004:
Wojtek Wolski - 1st Round
Brandon Yip - 8th Round

2005:
Paul Stastny - 2nd Round

It really falls off after 2005 save for the 2009 grand slam draft with Duchene, O'Reilly, and Barrie. Felt like every year, though, the Avs were getting legitimate NHL talent drafted whether they played for the Avs or were used in trades.

IMO if you can come out of every draft with 2 NHL caliber players, your scouting staff is doing its job. For 9 years in a row the Avs staff could say they did that. Not anymore.
You forgot Scott Parker from 1998:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad