Pre-Game Talk: 2023/24 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So when do we start a gofundme page so we can hire you as an amateur scout the Avs?

I was gonna say we could hire a broomstick to be a goalie scout and have better chances at success, but then I realized broomsticks can't talk so they can't make the selection.

Then I remembered that picks outside the 1st round are submitted electronically, so now I'm back to supporting the team hiring a broomstick, because at least there's a chance it could fall over and hit enter on a keyboard to select a goalie.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
So when do we start a gofundme page so we can hire you as an amateur scout the Avs?

I actually did a comparison between the Avs draft spot and who was taken vs my draft ranking at the time since 2017

Cayden Primeau instead of Petr Kvaca in 2017
Jakub Skarek instead of Justus Annunen and Keegan Karki over Shamil Shmakov in 2018 (I also had Dostal ahead of Annunen)
Dustin Wolf instead of Trent Miner in 2019
No one drafted in 2020 or 2021
Luca Di Pasquo over Ivan Zhigalov in 2022
No one drafted in 2023

Considering I'm not in the same universe resource wise as the Avalanche (not to mention so much less experienced) and still would have ended up with a better goalie depth chart...don't know who that says more about.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I actually did a comparison between the Avs draft spot and who was taken vs my draft ranking at the time since 2017

Jakub Skarek instead of Justus Annunen and Keegan Karki over Shamil Shmakov in 2018 (I also had Dostal ahead of Annunen)
No one drafted in 2023

Considering I'm not in the same universe resource wise as the Avalanche (not to mention so much less experienced) and still would have ended up with a better goalie depth chart...don't know who that says more about.
Can someone more connected than me send this to Joe Sakic?

obZen

Jul 1, 2019

No one drafted in 2023

Whatever happened to Kvaca? Seems to be putting up good numbers over the last few years.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Whatever happened to Kvaca? Seems to be putting up good numbers over the last few years.
Well, I know nothing about technique because I haven't seen him, but he mostly played at the second-level Czech league post-draft. That's not a good thing. Good on him to become a Euro pro though.

Reactions: obZen

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Kvaca will get a two way deal if he performs well in Sweden and if he wants it. The Czech leagues are fairly poor now, but a good performance at Rogle will go a long ways to showing he has the chops to make it. There is some talent there, but not sure it is NHL level.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Kvaca will get a two way deal if he performs well in Sweden and if he wants it. The Czech leagues are fairly poor now, but a good performance at Rogle will go a long ways to showing he has the chops to make it. There is some talent there, but not sure it is NHL level.

Not sure why we never signed him and yet signed someone like miner.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

No one drafted in 2023

Just that dustin wolf pick would have cemented you as a god of goalie drafting for this franchise.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not sure why we never signed him and yet signed someone like miner.

I have zero insight into the situation, but I'd bet a Euro assignment clause was the root of it. Avs don't like to give them out and many players prefer to have them. The Avs do make some really dumb mistakes with signings though... guys like Miner shouldn't be signed. They don't even help you organizationally. I just don't get the why there.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

What are we thinking here? Will he go with some variation of "it was a legal issue so I'm advised to not comment", even though there really wasn't any legal stuff? Maybe "it's in the past and I'm just looking forward"? Will he tell them to go **** themselves and refer them to the pic with the gun? Anything is possible here.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019

What are we thinking here? Will he go with some variation of "it was a legal issue so I'm advised to not comment", even though there really wasn't any legal stuff? Maybe "it's in the past and I'm just looking forward"? Will he tell them to go **** themselves and refer them to the pic with the gun? Anything is possible here.

Hoping for the last one

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

"My english is worst than before...'me hockey october no problemo'" tank you

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Yeah, I’m expecting some kind of ‘I can’t comment’ from Nichushkin.

Hope they press him a little bit, because there are some questions you can ask outside of the obvious.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah waivers just make sense. Some teams are carrying 3 decent enough goalies to where we can grab one as a stop gap backup until Franky is ready.

The only thing that remains to be seen IMO is whether its a matter of putting Frank on LTIR and thus having $2M to work with for a waiver acquisition, or if this means having to carry one less skater(Likely Oloffson getting sent down I would guess) to carry the extra goalie and thus only having about $1.25M to work with.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hanzel has easily been our best player so far.

E: Well, as I wrote that he got a -1 and Vegas has a 3-2 lead. We're playing the invite goaler in net so I am expecting an autoloss here.

E: Sandlin and Olausson with the goals, Olausson with a brilliant Burakovsky-esque snipe on the PP.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

No one drafted in 2023

Me just using NHL central scouting rankings would probably do a better job than Avs amateur scouts.

Bonus question: Why does the NHL have a central scouting service?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad