Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I doubt Toews gets that much($9M). I also doubt he gets anywhere close to 6.5M either.

I've suggested 7x$7M here before but I recognize that's probably a pipedream and more of a best case scenario where Toews truly doesn't want to go anywhere else.

Quite frankly those two numbers(6.5 and 9.0) are probably where the two sides started negotiating at, and I would guess they'll end up in the middle in the high 7s or very low 8s... 7x7.75M sort of deal.

If the cap goes up $4M next year, so long as Toews comes in under $8.1M, that cap increase will cover his raise and we dont have anyone particularly important to re-sign next summer. Where things will get tough is if Landy does indeed return in the playoffs and is declared good to go for September 2024. At that point Avs will need to shed $7M. They can find $1M off of Francouz, then they probably realistically need to dump both Girard and Manson($9.5M combined) and replace them with a couple Dmen combining for $3.5M roughly.

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Manson to end up LTIRetirement next summer either.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
60M is a nice, big, fat, round number. 7.5Mx8 = 60M. I'd start there and see what Toews camp responds with.

I understand he is worth more. He also understands that Colorado is a great place to play and has an incredible core. What teams out there are going to have the cap space to give him much better? Is upping his family and moving to whatever situation that team is in worth the difference?

I'm not suggesting playing hard ball with him, but I think that's a fair opening offer. I would also offer stuff like first 6 years NMC, last 2 years 10 team NTC prior to really going up on the dollars to see what that can buy.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
True. No way I am moving Girard before Manson, especially if he keeps getting injured.. This season is crucial for both Girard and Manson.

Sorry to break it to you but I think Toews starts with a 9.
I don't think so. Especially if we offer 8 years.

My "sources" indicate that D.Toews is close to signing a contract extension with the Avs.

Also, who do we contact for Avs to stop autocorrecting to AVS? God?
That's good news. Any idea of the price? I assume it will be eight years?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Manson will be fairly hard to move. Nothing is impossible with enough motivation.. but even his 12 team NTC can be pretty easily tailored to make it 20-25+ given the cap situations around the league.

The Avs will be re-signing Toews though and I can't see it starting with a smaller number than 7.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We'll see what's the plan if they keep him. Hard to believe that they can keep Toews, Byram and Makar long term while keeping some kind of depth.
I think we are seeing the plan in action today. Take risks on the depth. They will pencil in Ritchie to replace RyJo in 2025. They will take risks on guys who are trying to bank some good will into longer contracts. They'll sign some depth to long-term deals to bring down AAV.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
We'll see what's the plan if they keep him. Hard to believe that they can keep Toews, Byram and Makar long term while keeping some kind of depth.

The best defenseman can play 24-28min a game. If we add just someone who could do the same with these guys, we should be pretty set.

Although right now can't trust Makars or Byram's health.. that's a concern.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The best defenseman can play 24-28min a game. If we add just someone who could do the same with these guys, we should be pretty set.

Although right now can't trust Makars or Byram's health.. that's a concern.
There are other aspects to this. Toews would be blocking Byram on the depth chart for the next 3-4 years. Is Byram comfortable playing 2nd pairing with no PP time? That would likely cost him a shitload of money.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
There are other aspects to this. Toews would be blocking Byram on the depth chart for the next 3-4 years. Is Byram comfortable playing 2nd pairing with no PP time? That would likely cost him a shitload of money.
Wouldn't we roll with four forwards anyway and Makar? First line. Then second line Byram and Toews.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Maybe Toews is being honest and wants to sign here so takes a discount but if he cares about money it’s a no brainer to hit FA. He put up 50 points in a down year while having the reputation as one of the better defensive defensemen.

Unless he gets hurt or Byram jumps him he has a chance to get long term 1D money. With the cap rising and GMs caring less about age than fans(plus only 315 GP) his agent has to be drooling at a team offering 8.5+ on a long term deal. Don’t see how the Avs can match that without a major shake up.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
If Toews comes in at 7, I think it’s a no-brainer to resign him.

If he demands 8+ that starts to become more difficult to build around.
Exactly this. Toews at 8x7m is fine, though it'll be brutal the last few years but hey, that's the price of maximizing contending windows. Toews at 8x8-9? i don't see how that even works short term.

I can see him getting over 9m per year on the open market, but I doubt he would get over 5 years too. And that's why an 8x7m offer may work for him and us.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021

If Byram is "blocked" on the depth chart, that's on him for not outplaying Toews.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Byram is "blocked" on the depth chart, that's on him for not outplaying Toews.
Ok I'll play. If Byram does outplay Toews and steals his spot on the 1st pair do you want a 2nd pairing guy making that kind of money? And how much will Byram demand?

Reactions: Alienblood

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
$8m AAV is workable with only Manson being moved to make room, as shown in the AGM below. Depth and backup goalie would need to be cheap though, and a RHD would be the big need at the TDL.

$8.5m AAV and it probably needs to be Girard going instead of Manson. Or alternatively you start to consider moving Lehkonen, though I doubt the Avs would want to do that.

At least stylistically the D group would be better balanced with Manson instead of Girard, especially with Behrens and Gulyayev in the pipeline, so that might be the logical way to go unless Manson's wheels fall off completely.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
$8m AAV would put Toews in a tie at 14th amongst defensemen (of note many of the guys around him signed as RFAs). $7m is a tie at 26th. When you look at the names around those amounts (+/- half mil), you see where Toews more closely aligns. The 8th year might trim off 250-500k AAV. It has been spoken about by players that Toews is underpaid too... and Makar specifically said it would hopefully made up for on this deal. My expectation is somewhere between 7.5m-8m over 7 or 8 years.

Simply put though, even if the Avs get a huge break and he comes in at a 6.5m or 7m deal... it gets tricky. At 6.5m the Avs cap hit (assuming Landy is back) is at 83.275m with 9F, 5D, 1G. That means 4.225m to fill 3 F 1D and 1G spots to even ice a full roster... or 845k each. This is without any bonus carryover. Which basically says there is likely a cap dump coming as those positions are unlikely to be filled for that little... and Toews at 6.5m is also pretty unlikely.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Mackinnon makes the most money this year by a large margin

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Realistically, we don't need G or Manson if we plan on keeping Makar, Toews and Byram. 3 big minute eaters is really all a team needs, so they can fill out the rest of the roster with a ~3-4m number 4 and then you fill the bottom pair with the JJs and the Malinskis for ~1M, guys that can either move the puck or take on PK minutes.

We'll be fine, friendos.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
IMO, to keep both Bo and Toewser long-term, both Girard and Manson would have to go. However, that would mean 3 of your 6 D would be lower paid/lower skilled guys, quite possibly rookies. IDK if that's ideal. Plus, a new deal for Rantanen is coming soon.

I'd love to keep both, but I think one of Toews/Bo will probably have to go, and you keep G.

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad