Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Toews is Kadri part II. We'll see if they go in a different direction.

Kadri wanted to stay, the Avs wanted to keep him but "in the end it's a business decision" (which is exactly what Toews said yesterday).

I've felt like this is probably where it's going too, but Toews does have something going for him that Naz didn't. Their franchise D man Makar pushing for him to be re-signed.

Happy GOAT, leave he won't. :laugh: I'm trademarking that.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Just looking at Dmen likely available at the TDL and wonder if Edmundson will be someone the Avs target.

Despite being a LHS instead of a RHS he does still tick a lot of boxes that Colorado typically like when trading for guys, like:

- Playoff experience (cup winner with STL and finals with MTL);
- good in the locker room (eg. already wearing an A in WSH)
- manageable caphit (already 50% @ $1.5m, so if WSH retain half he'll only have a caphit of $875k which would be really easy to fit in).
- probably attainable without a 1st rounder.

Injury problems are a concern but if he has a healthy season there's probably appeal. Theres also history between the GM'd as CMac recently acquired Eller from them.

Stylistically that would give Girard a solid partner on the 3rd pair, along with helping the PK and offering insurance for Manson.

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - Edmundson
JJ - Malinski

That's a really well-rounded D group with a nice blend of puck-movers and big shutdown guys.

On a side note, the Avs could probably also use a legit 4C for depth down the middle, so may as well make Washington a one-stop-shop and get Dowd too. At 50% retained his caphit would only be $650k, or 75% it would be $325k. Edmundson and Dowd for a combined $1.2m caphit would be a shrewd way of maximizing capspace.
Edmundson is a guy you love for his leadership and physical play, but cringe every time he has the puck on his stick. I can't even count how many bad passes I watched him make in Montreal. He also has a habit of thinking he's better offensively than he is. He would try to carry the puck even when Girard is open for a pass. A player like him ends up being a net even because whatever positives he gives you are negated by his negatives. He might even be a net negative overall by the trade deadline, given his injury history.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I like the Dylan Demelo name being talked about in here. Tough, physical dman like Manson. He makes playing against us much harder. Especially in the playoffs.

They could use a guy like Girard on the backend and we could use some forward depth.

Girard and a 1st for Iafallo and Demelo at the deadline.

Then get Vladar for Frankie and a 3rd

Drouin- Mackinnon- Rantanen
Iafallo- Johansen- Nichushkin
Lehkonen- Colton- Tatar
Wood- Cogliano- O'Connor
Kovalenko

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
DeMelo - Johnson

Georgiev
Vladar

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I get the discount possibility. I know some disagree but I do think Makar helped the Avs even if he benefitted from it as well. I just think Toews agent has to know the potential for a huge deal is in play right now. I guess the risk/confidence in staying healthy/not regressing could also play a factor. 8th year is a good point.

A 1D who teams could talk themselves into having 5 really good years left? In an offseason where the cap jumps? Unless the Avs offer 8.5 I don't see it getting done. Hopefully I'm wrong. Avs should have made the tough decisions with the d-core last offseason after winning the cup.
The Avs can offer him the 8th year, which should help.

I think Toews is willing to take a small discount to stay an Avs. If the 2 offers are 8 x 7 mil from the Avs or 7 x 8.5 mil from free agency, I think that's close enough he'd stay here.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Stupid multi-part question: Was How You Drouin signed months ago & I missed it/is it still not technically official/was it such a forgone conclusion that such a thread was never warranted?

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
The athletic has Toews as thr 5th best Dman In the league behind Makar, McAvoy, Heiskanen and Hedman.

Do we still think he is going to get 6.5 mil a year lol.

That's Werenski, McAvoy money. 9.5+ mil a year.

Or put it this way....would you give up 24 million from your workplace to give them a discount? It's not happening.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If Toews wants to retire as an Av and he thinks he can play until he’s 38, just give him 8 x 8 or maybe he wants to play until he’s 36 or 37 than give him those terms

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Apparently Friedman mentions Spencer Martin as a possibility...The prodigal son returns...

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I think the fact that Toews wants to stay here is huge. I figured he wanted to test the market and fleece out the last of his value, but he's more committed to winning.

Kadri knew he was a goner - I think Toews knows both parties can make something work.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I think the fact that Toews wants to stay here is huge. I figured he wanted to test the market and fleece out the last of his value, but he's more committed to winning.

Kadri knew he was a goner - I think Toews knows both parties can make something work.
It's definitely doable to keep Toews but Girard has to be gone.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Apparently Friedman mentions Spencer Martin as a possibility...The prodigal son returns...
Also a part about DT7 starts at 29:40

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Girard can stay if Toews takes $8m aav. $8.5m+ and it becomes tough to keep G though.
It is tough to fill out even the base roster without moving a larger contract out. You can define that player in different ways, but Toews at $8m means that one of Manson, G, Byram, or Lehky are gone to fill out the roster with 12F, 6D, 2G.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The athletic has Toews as thr 5th best Dman In the league behind Makar, McAvoy, Heiskanen and Hedman.

Do we still think he is going to get 6.5 mil a year lol.

That's Werenski, McAvoy money. 9.5+ mil a year.

Or put it this way....would you give up 24 million from your workplace to give them a discount? It's not happening.
No, they don't....

They have him behind:

Makar
Fox
McAvoy
Heiskanen
Josi
Dahlin
Hedman
Karlsson

And then on the same tier as Slavin and Lindholm. So between 9-11.

Lindholm at $6.5M is probably who the Avs are attempting to use as a comparable tbh. While Toews camp is probably looking at closer to McAvoy.

Meet in the middle you get something in the neighborhood of 7x$8M... If the Avs use the 8th year option to drive it down further, you might get to 8x$7.5M.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It is tough to fill out even the base roster without moving a larger contract out. You can define that player in different ways, but Toews at $8m means that one of Manson, G, Byram, or Lehky are gone to fill out the roster with 12F, 6D, 2G.
Yeah, what I meant is that if Toews signs for $8m only Manson needs to get moved as $4.5m opened up would be enough.

If Toews gets $8.5m+ you need $5m+ which effectively means you have to move Girard (or Manson plus someone else with a significant contract like Wood or Lehkonen).

Either way Toews re-signing forces a $4.5m+ contract to have to be moved. Unless of course Landeskog stays on LTIR.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Personally, I think the Avs would probably find a way to dump Ryjo's $4M before getting rid of Lehkonen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad