Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
G will never be at the level that Toews is playing at right now. Choosing to keep G and/or Manson over Toews would essentially close our window. There’s just no way of utilizing the extra cap space gained from moving on from Toews to recoup what he provides for the team on the ice.

The cap situation will look horrible in 5 years anyway. Bite the bullet, pay Toews, and put your nuts on the table to contend for these next 2-3 years.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Apparently Friedman mentions Spencer Martin as a possibility...The prodigal son returns...
pleasegodno.gif

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
G will never be at the level that Toews is playing at right now. Choosing to keep G and/or Manson over Toews would essentially close our window. There’s just no way of utilizing the extra cap space gained from moving on from Toews to recoup what he provides for the team on the ice.

The cap situation will look horrible in 5 years anyway. Bite the bullet, pay Toews, and put your nuts on the table to contend for these next 2-3 years.

You don't need G to be at that level though.

Even without Toews the Avs still have the best Dman In the league. That's already way ahead of everyone else and you can absolutely still win the cup just with Makar on the back end.

Throw in potentially Byram taking positive steps at least towards becoming a top pairing guy...

Now, I still say keep Toews, but letting him walk doesn't necessarily slam the window shut, if they spend his cap space at Center in a meaningful way.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
You don't need G to be at that level though.

Even without Toews the Avs still have the best Dman In the league. That's already way ahead of everyone else and you can absolutely still win the cup just with Makar on the back end.

Throw in potentially Byram taking positive steps at least towards becoming a top pairing guy...

Now, I still say keep Toews, but letting him walk doesn't necessarily slam the window shut, if they spend his cap space at Center in a meaningful way.
I’m skeptical that the Avs would properly utilize the cap space given that we’re still unsure of our 2C slot after losing Kadri. We have a potential replacement with Byram but we also had one for Kadri in Newhook and we know how that went(Byram is the better prospect by a good margin but the point remains).

I’d rather move both G and Manson before losing Toews to free agency because frankly, it shouldn’t be that hard to replace what those two bring to the team. I honestly don’t know how much of a market those two players would even have if we made them available.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I’m skeptical that the Avs would properly utilize the cap space given that we’re still unsure of our 2C slot after losing Kadri. We have a potential replacement with Byram but we also had one for Kadri in Newhook and we know how that went(Byram is the better prospect by a good margin but the point remains).

I’d rather move both G and Manson before losing Toews to free agency because frankly, it shouldn’t be that hard to replace what those two bring to the team. I honestly don’t know how much of a market those two players would even have if we made them available.

Manson would cost a 1st round pick to dump today. Given his regression as a player and his continued injury issues.

Girard would have a market I think, a Top 4 Dman at a $5M cap hit is good value. But his market would definitely be hurt by his size and the number of teams willing to ice undersized Dmen.

I don't think they'd have any difficulty getting a late 1st from a team for him or an early 2nd + Prospect sort of thing... And if the Avs took back some cap space in the deal they probably get more value.

It would be nice for Girard to have a strong year this year. A big bounce back year would do a lot for his value and market.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
No, they don't....

They have him behind:

Makar
Fox
McAvoy
Heiskanen
Josi
Dahlin
Hedman
Karlsson

And then on the same tier as Slavin and Lindholm. So between 9-11.

Lindholm at $6.5M is probably who the Avs are attempting to use as a comparable tbh. While Toews camp is probably looking at closer to McAvoy.

Meet in the middle you get something in the neighborhood of 7x$8M... If the Avs use the 8th year option to drive it down further, you might get to 8x$7.5M.

And every single year going forward he'll continue to drop.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
No, they don't....

They have him behind:

Makar
Fox
McAvoy
Heiskanen
Josi
Dahlin
Hedman
Karlsson

And then on the same tier as Slavin and Lindholm. So between 9-11.

Lindholm at $6.5M is probably who the Avs are attempting to use as a comparable tbh. While Toews camp is probably looking at closer to McAvoy.

Meet in the middle you get something in the neighborhood of 7x$8M... If the Avs use the 8th year option to drive it down further, you might get to 8x$7.5M.

Yes they do. If I knew how to post a picture I would.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
If they can get 7 signed long term and they can let Byram blossom. He could be a great trade asset down the line.

Reactions: 5280

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If they can get 7 signed long term and they can let Byram blossom. He could be a great trade asset down the line.
It has long been the direction I wanted to go in.

If we think Toews is the long term guy, Girard is plenty capable of 2nd pairing minutes and is locked up for the rest of his prime years.

Byram is going to want 8-9M+ on his next deal in 2 years as well and that's the spot where I especially don't think we can afford both guys, at least not without decimating the forward depth.

Byram could be a really good piece to fill a need elsewhere in the lineup. Whether that's a strong long term 2C or a good defensive RD to partner with Girard.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and 5280

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Yes they do. If I knew how to post a picture I would.
theathletic.com_4863183_2023_09_18_nhl-best-players-list-2023-2024-season_.png

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If we aren't going to be able to re-sign Toews, I really hope the Avs find a way to trade him for a dman we will be able to obtain during the season. That way we don't lose him for nothing and we just start life without him one playoffs sooner.

That being said, I still think 7.5M x 8 years is a good deal for both sides. Yes, Toews can make more. But 60M is a big, fat, juicy, round number and he doesn't have to up and move his family to a new city, get used to a new team, and who knows what quality team can offer him the bigger contracts. Does he want to make north of 8.5M by playing in Arizona? There are probably better teams that could make him an offer, but you just never really know. That and the lingering effects of a stagnant cap are the two things giving me some hope that a good deal could be made for both sides here.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Of course Toews' play will drop off as he ages and maybe sooner rather than later but one thing working in his favour is that he doesn't exactly rely on exceptional physical gifts/attributes in order to be a great player. I think he has the style of play and hockey IQ that could allow him to age well.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Personally, I think the Avs would probably find a way to dump Ryjo's $4M before getting rid of Lehkonen.
agreed , you dont find guys like Lenkonen all over the league , with his work ethic who elevate his game in the playoffs like he does. NHL teams are looking for player with Lenkonen's DNA , the Avs would be foolish to part from a player like him , now that they have one.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Personally, I think the Avs would probably find a way to dump Ryjo's $4M before getting rid of Lehkonen.
Likely... but if RyJo doesn't succeed, odds of getting out of that full $4m without some sort of hit are pretty low. The buyout hit is 1.33m for 2 years. Moving him would likely require salary back, retention, or decent assets. I was listing guys who have higher cap hits where all of it could potentially be moved for room, not necessarily guys they'll move (IE Byram is very unlikely to get moved)

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
agreed , you dont find guys like Lenkonen all over the league , with his work ethic who elevate his game in the playoffs like he does. NHL teams are looking for player with Lenkonen's DNA , the Avs would be foolish to part from a player like him , now that they have one.
Also agreed. Sweetheart of a deal. I think the people I’d want shipped out in order to save money for potential DToews and Mikko extensions and Landy coming off LTIR are; Manson, Girard, then Johansen. We’ve done a pretty damn good job so far and finding depth players throughout the years. I trust our pro scouting department. I also understand we might have to pony up to dump those contracts. Then pay the price. We won’t be good forever. Tack on a 2nd rounder, a B level prospect, etc. Avs will just have to stay active in signing those next undrafted free agent prospects, overseas guys, and doing moves similar to the Colton, Lehkonen, Burakovsky moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad