Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I don’t disagree.

But Drouin isn’t a C.

So if a top 6C gets hurt, all the Cs will move up a slot.

Asking because Drouin is one of the best passers on the team, when on his game. The Avs have defensive W options that they can put next to him. His passing could blend a line if he’s having a good year.

The Avs don’t have a lot of W to C candidates otherwise.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Asking because Drouin is one of the best passers on the team, when on his game. The Avs have defensive W options that they can put next to him. His passing could blend a line if he’s having a good year.

I get it.

There are elements to his game that make him an intrigue at center.

The problem is, for all of the things that are intriguing, there are a whole slew of other things that make him a terrible C.

If you want to make the most of that passing ability, then you need to put him on the PP, and on the wing where there’s limited scenarios.

On the wing he has his defender, and the boards. Much simpler game for him. And more importantly, more time to make those passes.

He’s not a center. There’s just simply too much that holds him back from being effective at that position.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

The Habs thought the same thing when they got him from Tampa. They literally announced him as a center and he fielded questions about playing there, saying he was confident. I don't remember exactly how long the experiment lasted, but it was a disaster. Drouin simply does not appear to be able to track the game well in the defensive zone. He forgets were players are and seems to be easily deceived by smart players. Even as a winger I worry about his defensive game. The only way he works at center is if they have his winger actually doing the defensive work down low like how Landeskog and MacKinnon used to work.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I agree with AJ about the defense here...

twftzAw.png

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I agree with AJ about the defense here...

twftzAw.png

Boston have 8 Dmen including Ian Mitchell... Maybe him?

Lindholm - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Zboril - Shattenkirk
Forbort - Mitchell

Or Jalen Chatfieild:

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Pesce
Skjei - DeAngelo
Jones - Chatfield

Someome out of Arizona?

Moser - Söderström
Valimaki - Dumba
Dermott - Durzi
Stecher - Brown

Would Detroit waive McIsaac before giving him a game in the NHL?

Walman - Seider
Chiarot - Petry
Gostisbehere - Holl
Määttä - McIsaac

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'll put this here as well:

So based on that list, right defensemen who may fit our need based purely on position and size:
- Alec Regula (BOS); 6'4" 208Ibs
- Dylan Coghlan (CAR); 6'2" 208Ibs
- Marcus Bjork (CBJ); 6'3" 203Ibs
- Philip Kemp (EDM) 6'3" 202Ibs
- Cal Foote (NJ) 6'5" 224Ibs

I haven't watched any of these players really so I have no idea if they are any good. Regula played for the Blackhawks before. Coghlan played for Vegas, and Foote may have a famous father or something. Kemp is a 7th rounder who has been in the AHL. Bjork is a former SHL player who got 33 games with that terrible Blue Jackets team (he has no connection to CMac or Bednar).

Lindholm - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Zboril - Shattenkirk
Forbort - Mitchell

Or Jalen Chatfieild:

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Pesce
Skjei - DeAngelo
Jones - Chatfield

Someome out of Arizona?

Moser - Söderström
Valimaki - Dumba
Dermott - Durzi
Stecher - Brown

Walman - Seider
Chiarot - Petry
Gostisbehere - Holl
Määttä - McIsaac
Chatfield would be a great fit I think, but I'd be surprised if they waive him. The others are all lefties and/or smaller players, so not ideal (I'm not counting Arizona, because I don't think we want anyone they would be waiving).

Reactions: Richard88

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Lindholm - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Zboril - Shattenkirk
Forbort - Mitchell

Or Jalen Chatfieild:

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Pesce
Skjei - DeAngelo
Jones - Chatfield

Someome out of Arizona?

Moser - Söderström
Valimaki - Dumba
Dermott - Durzi
Stecher - Brown

Walman - Seider
Chiarot - Petry
Gostisbehere - Holl
Määttä - McIsaac
I like how it's all the other teams' eighth defenseman, and just anyone of the eight in Arizona.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Also wonder if Lindström shakes loose in Montreal if some of the kids take roles. Probably a long shot

Matheson - Guhle*
Xhekaj* - Savard
Harris* - Kovacevic
Lindström
Barron*
(Wideman on LTIR)

Reinbacher*
Mailloux*
Etc

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Also wonder if Lindström shakes loose in Montreal if some of the kids take roles. Probably a long shot

Matheson - Guhle*
Xhekaj* - Savard
Harris* - Kovacevic
Lindström
Barron*
(Wideman on LTIR)

Reinbacher*
Mailloux*
Etc
He kinda sucks, but he's Marcus Ragnarsson's nephew, which pushes him over the edge.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The Habs thought the same thing when they got him from Tampa. They literally announced him as a center and he fielded questions about playing there, saying he was confident. I don't remember exactly how long the experiment lasted, but it was a disaster. Drouin simply does not appear to be able to track the game well in the defensive zone. He forgets were players are and seems to be easily deceived by smart players. Even as a winger I worry about his defensive game. The only way he works at center is if they have his winger actually doing the defensive work down low like how Landeskog and MacKinnon used to work.

Fair enough. Just to be clear, I’m not pounding the table for this idea. It’s just that, other than Mikko, there aren’t a lot of C options at the W.

I was thinking Nichushkin can do what you described at the defensive end.

If it’s a short term stop gap, Mikko seems most likely.

Reactions: MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

Matheson - Guhle*
Xhekaj* - Savard
Harris* - Kovacevic
Lindström
Barron*
(Wideman on LTIR)

Reinbacher*
Mailloux*
Etc
He makes a lot of sense as the 7th D, especially since they traded for him. One of the kids would have to steal a spot for them to waive him I think.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
I mentioned Chatfield as a potential depth D with the logjam in Carolina. Since they need to shed people and I would imagine they want any form of an asset back instead of waiving for free, I’d trade a mid/late-ish round pick for him. RHD. Good size. From what I’ve seen plays fairly tough and I thought I saw he has good enough underlying metrics for someone of his caliber.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Canes can't afford to lose Chatfield if they want to trade one of their top-4 so I doubt he becomes available on waivers

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Fair enough. Just to be clear, I’m not pounding the table for this idea. It’s just that, other than Mikko, there aren’t a lot of C options at the W.

I was thinking Nichushkin can do what you described at the defensive end.

If it’s a short term stop gap, Mikko seems most likely.

I know the joke well, but in the event of injuries Drouin can play center.

I'd have Nuke or Lehkky play the Landy role next to him, and try to line match as best as possible with O zone starts.

The reason I say that is it let's you keep the other lines mostly in tact, and Mikko is allergic to the position for whatever reason.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Matheson - Guhle*
Xhekaj* - Savard
Harris* - Kovacevic
Lindström
Barron*
(Wideman on LTIR)

Reinbacher*
Mailloux*
Etc
The guy we really want is Kovacevic. I don't know what he'd cost but he's a legit NHL dman, right handed, with size, who can PK, signed for 2 seasons at league minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad