Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
If we did 8x7-8m for Toews, we'd have to move Girard(gulyayev+behrens+malinski can fill in).
I think we need Bo's personality on the backend.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It'll allow him to play the middle more, but realistically, the we don't care if you make mistakes only works as long as you are a bad team. The second expectations start, mistakes matter.
If what we saw of Newhook during his sophomore season is the finished product, you're right that allowing him to make mistakes won't change a thing in the end. He won't be good enough anyway when the team becomes competitive.

MSL is doing this so players can grow through their mistakes though, he's not allowing them to make mistakes because he doesn't care. We'll see if his method helps Newhook on the long run or not.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
If we did 8x7-8m for Toews, we'd have to move Girard(gulyayev+behrens+malinski can fill in).
I think we need Bo's personality on the backend.
Fill in? In what, 2027?!? I have moments where I flip-flop on what I’d like done with Girard but these players are not a solution in the short term. And the short term is what this team should be 100% focused on.

If Girard gets traded they need an nhl quality defenseman who can play meaningful minutes on the third pair and we are already very thin in that department. I get the concept, and am not even sure I disagree, with trading girard to make room for either a Toews extension or 2c contract. But I will be livid as a fan if they go into the playoffs with any of those three as a regular on the roster.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If what we saw of Newhook during his sophomore season is the finished product, you're right that allowing him to make mistakes won't change a thing in the end. He won't be good enough anyway when the team becomes competitive.

MSL is doing this so players can grow through their mistakes though, he's not allowing them to make mistakes because he doesn't care. We'll see if his method helps Newhook on the long run or not.
I understand why he is doing it, just saying that this philosophy only works when you're bad. Once there are any expectations, those mistakes need to be gone.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Fill in? In what, 2027?!? I have moments where I flip-flop on what I’d like done with Girard but these players are not a solution in the short term. And the short term is what this team should be 100% focused on.

If Girard gets traded they need an nhl quality defenseman who can play meaningful minutes on the third pair and we are already very thin in that department. I get the concept, and am not even sure I disagree, with trading girard to make room for either a Toews extension or 2c contract. But I will be livid as a fan if they go into the playoffs with any of those three as a regular on the roster.

Third pairing dman should be pretty easy to find in the short term.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Third pairing dman should be pretty easy to find in the short term.
I agree to an extent, that’s why I’d be really upset if we go into the playoffs with a rookie as an everyday roster player. We need to have somebody that can move up in a pinch if/when injuries happen. Obviously if we get ravaged I won’t blame the org for using these guys but going from Girard to one of them as an intended replacement is not the right call IMO.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I tend to agree with you as i often got this vibe from Byram's camp.
That's my point! If Toews wants to sign here for 8x8, then the chances are that Byram is the one Avs have to move on due to simply pricing himself out compared to Girard who's shown to want to sign long-term deals. I am not sure if that's the smart move in the long run, but it is one Avs will eventually have to make a decision on if Devon is truly sincere with his request to take less money to stay an Av.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
That's my point! If Toews wants to sign here for 8x8, then the chances are that Byram is the one Avs have to move on due to simply pricing himself out compared to Girard who's shown to want to sign long-term deals. I am not sure if that's the smart move in the long run, but it is one Avs will eventually have to make a decision on if Devon is truly sincere with his request to take less money to stay an Av.
It may not be the smartest move from the Avs to do with Byram. BUT we have to take injuries into considaration and that's where it becomes foggy. Whether we like it or not there's a history of injuries with this player, no matter how good he is/ will be , he is a risk and i understand the Avs to Gamble a little.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It may not be the smartest move from the Avs to do with Byram. BUT we have to take injuries into considaration and that's where it becomes foggy. Whether we like it or not there's a history of injuries with this player, no matter how good he is/ will be , he is a risk and i understand the Avs to Gamble a little.

The Byram situation next summer looks somewhat similar to the Barrie situation a few years ago... As in, he's a young Dman who'll have one more year of cost certainty next summer, and though he's a pending RFA rather than pending UFA like Barrie he will also be asking for a big raise a year later which could price him out.

Like Barrie the Avs also effectively have the position he plays in covered (in this case a combination of Toews/Girard along with Gulyayev and Behrens, similar to how Makar enabled the Avs to trade Barrie).

Reactions: MarkT

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The Byram situation next summer looks somewhat similar to the Barrie situation a few years ago... As in, he's a young Dman who'll have one more year of cost certainty next summer, and though he's a pending RFA rather than pending UFA like Barrie he will also be asking for a big raise a year later which could price him out.

Like Barrie the Avs also effectively have the position he plays in covered (in this case a combination of Toews/Girard along with Gulyayev and Behrens, similar to how Makar enabled the Avs to trade Barrie).
Avs could potentially get a long-term solution with the #2 centre with Byram's talent and potential as well. He just has to stay healthy and Avs can do a lot of good either by re-signing him or trading him.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City

Totally agree, if we sign Toews like I'm sure we will, Bo will be currency for what we need in 2 years, I can't see the Avs being able to make it work and there will be plenty of holes to fill elsewhere. The defense will be in pretty good shape.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Newhook’s problems don’t stem from his lack of skill. Players like him will usually look great at camp.

It’s things like his positioning, on ice awareness and quick decision making that will have to improve in order for him to reach his potential as a center.

I’m rooting for him, he seems like a down to earth easygoing teammate. Ultimately, I don’t think the Avs will regret trading him especially considering the return we got for him.

Yup. He's basically the reverse Jost IMO. Jost had no tools but was had good hockey IQ. Newhook has the tools but has no idea what to do with them. He just always looked lost on the ice. Always a step behind the play. I do think that's why coaches/media etc. rave about his skating in training camp/practice but when it comes time to play he's not able to properly utilize it.

Maybe playing in a situation where he's allowed to make mistakes will help him take a step. It'll probably help in the short term atleast. The second his "potential" is gone nobody's going to let him play like that tho.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Byram++ for Pettersson. If we say it enough times it will happen!!

Though tbh we probably can't afford Petey either unfortunately.

The other play is to target a high end Center who hasn't quite hit his stride in the NHL yet. Shane Wright, Kent Johnson, maybe Cole Sillinger if he rebounds nicely this year, we've mentioned Lundell here many times before...

Maybe Trevor Zegras? If that relationship in Anaheim continues to fracture, though it feels like a trade on that front would happen sooner than the Avs would be prepared to deal Byram.

Reactions: Chiarelli

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Byram++ for Pettersson. If we say it enough times it will happen!!

Though tbh we probably can't afford Petey either unfortunately.

The other play is to target a high end Center who hasn't quite hit his stride in the NHL yet. Shane Wright, Kent Johnson, maybe Cole Sillinger if he rebounds nicely this year, we've mentioned Lundell here many times before...

Maybe Trevor Zegras? If that relationship in Anaheim continues to fracture, though it feels like a trade on that front would happen sooner than the Avs would be prepared to deal Byram.
In a salary cap world you can’t afford two #1 centers unless you get rid of bunch of depth from your team.

The only team that has two number one centers are the Oilers, and that’s why they can’t get their D and goaltending fixed

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
In a salary cap world you can’t afford two #1 centers unless you get rid of bunch of depth from your team.

The only team that has two number one centers are the Oilers, and that’s why they can’t get their D and goaltending fixed
I mean by that logic we can’t afford 2 #1Dmen either.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I mean by that logic we can’t afford 2 #1Dmen either.
Unless one of them makes 9 mill instead of like 12 or 13. That’s why Avs can afford Makar and possibly Toews although that’s still uncertain. If you get EP and you have Mack making 12+ you can’t afford to pay EP who’s probably gonna make at least 10 or 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad