Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Apparently Newhook had a very good camp. He looked fast and motivated.

He's been centering Josh Anderson and Juraj Slafkovsky in camp so far. That'd be their 3rd line. He showed good chemistry with Anderson but they haven't played a real game yet. They play the Devils tonight.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I hope he pulls it together and becomes a top 6 player for them, both as a Habs fan and an Avs fan who has warm feelings for him (especially now that he's not our potential problem).

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Apparently Newhook had a very good camp. He looked fast and motivated.

He's been centering Josh Anderson and Juraj Slafkovsky in camp so far. That'd be their 3rd line. He showed good chemistry with Anderson but they haven't played a real game yet. They play the Devils tonight.
makes me wonder about Bednar, Cronin sees him as a 2 C center and his speed is his best asset.

Likely gonna regret trading him.

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I always get a kick out of the speed comments about Newhook. Speed is not what hurts Newhook at center, it is his overall skating. Being fast doesn't make you a good skater (and let's be real, Newhook gets to top speed maybe once a game... takes him way too long to get there).

I do expect Montreal to give him a run there and maybe keep it beyond Dvorak coming back. They forced it with Dach and are likely to force it here too. They don't have anything to really lose by giving it extended looks. And in a more limited, one side of the ice tilted role, it may work.

Reactions: The Moops

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
makes me wonder about Bednar, Cronin sees him as a 2 C center and his speed is his best asset.

Well Bednar and Pratt can't develop young players which would be nice.
Wouldn't have minded seing Cronin get a shot here actually, at least coaching the d core.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg

Newhook’s problems don’t stem from his lack of skill. Players like him will usually look great at camp.

It’s things like his positioning, on ice awareness and quick decision making that will have to improve in order for him to reach his potential as a center.

I’m rooting for him, he seems like a down to earth easygoing teammate. Ultimately, I don’t think the Avs will regret trading him especially considering the return we got for him.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

Regret trading Newhook? You know what they got in return right?

I just don't see how he works out as a C or even 2C in MTL. His ability to get one from one zone to the other in the Avs system wasn't great. He took wayyyy to long to get shots off. If he got a break away he'd stick handle way too much then get a low percentage backhand off.

The guy has some skills, he's never put them all together though. And to be honest looking back to his college days he was somewhat of a Mike Hoffman on the PP. Not much else.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Good for Newhook, hopefully he has more confidence under the pressure in Canada than he did w/ the three tiny press outlets in Denver lol.
Martin St-Louis' mindset is "it's no big deal if you make mistakes", it's completely different than Bednar's ultra short leash in must win situations. Perhaps Newhook will benefit from that.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Martin St-Louis' mindset is "it's no big deal if you make mistakes", it's completely different than Bednar's ultra short leash in must win situations. Perhaps Newhook will benefit from that.
I certainly hope so. I'm rooting for him in general. But hearing is issues with CO, I don't think that the pressure in Canada mixed with an elevated roll will work well. I hope I'm wrong.

Obvious confidence issues and it seemed like some usage disagreements. I don't think he did anything with an elevated roll and plenty of chances in CO. If anything he drowned.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It'll allow him to play the middle more, but realistically, the we don't care if you make mistakes only works as long as you are a bad team. The second expectations start, mistakes matter.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
8x8 could be good.
8x7 would be so much better, but with the salary cap increasing, so will players' contracts as well. Then factor in inflation on top of that, 8x8 would almost be a dream. I very much like that Devon went publicly with his intentions to stay because I think it makes it so much easier to negotiate with somebody who wants to be here. However, if I were him I would see what the UFA market has to offer. There is a good chance he could go to another up-and-coming team and get 9.5 million on the open market for 6 to 7 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad