Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Proof that even GMs can be blinded by their love of a player.
1695158691705.png

1695158720767.png

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Felt like DeSmith was the best backup goalie in that price range we could had. Oh well.

Reactions: Chiarelli

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
Felt like DeSmith was the best backup goalie in that price range we could had. Oh well.
We'll be fine with a waiver guy as a stopgap in the worst case; wouldn't feel great to go into the postseason without a 'legit' backup, though, after our Hamburglar/hurt Frankie adventures

Reactions: MarkT

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Still doesn’t make sense to me.

The only feasible options are goalies with fully buriable contracts. Any goalie making over 1.15M doesn’t seem like an option.

The comments today from CMac that Francouz is expected to return re-confirm that for me.

Guys like DeSmith, Vladar, etc, either need to come with retention, or under a scenario where Francouz is shipped out/gone for the year.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Mack wanted Drouin signed for a reason ind it’s not to play on the third or fourth line. He is going to be given every opportunity to play on the top line and he absolutely has the talent.
Like Pierce explained to you my issue was having Mikko on the top line not Drouin.

Reactions: avsfan9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Having to attach a third round pick to move Pearson is rough but at least they're be able to recoup draft capital when they're forced to trade Pettersson after the season. Glass half full!

Reactions: dahrougem2

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I dont think his issue was with Drouin playing with Mack.

The issue is putting Mack and Mikko together. It makes the Avs way too top heavy and leaves the 2nd line much weaker. That trio(Mack/Drouin/Mikko) would also be pretty bad defensively bordering on liabilities.

Mack/Mikko are responsible enough on the defensive side so long as they have a workhorse like Nuke, Landy, or Lehky playing with them. When they don't have any of those guys, they're pretty bad defensively.

And, Drouin certainly isn't a workhorse by any means.

Mack and Drouin can play together all year long IMO and likely do well, but they need one of Lehks or Nuke playing with them for defensive work and also to create time and space for them offensively.
Lol! I read it wrong. I agree but Mikko would be awesome on their wing as well!

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Well tbf Pearson has had major injury issues and had negative value at the moment.

Yeah, because he’s overpaid, but at a one-year term it really means nothing for Montreal.

It doesn’t make a lot sense to me from Vancouvers standpoint. You’re paying a decent price honestly, for the kind of goalie that you can get off waivers.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah, because he’s overpaid, but at a one-year term it really means nothing for Montreal.

It doesn’t make a lot sense to me from Vancouvers standpoint. You’re paying a decent price honestly, for the kind of goalie that you can get off waivers.
Canucks are over the cap and have to move money. They saved 1.5M with that trade.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Nah the value was fair.

The difference in salary between the two players was $1.5M, and $1.5M in cap space is worth roughly a 3rd round pick.

Honestly I think it makes plenty of sense for Vancouver. Spencer Martin was a terrible backup and DeSmith is probably an above average backup honestly. They improved in a position while also creating cap space at a fair price point. Just because the contract means nothing for Montreal doesn't mean they should just take on money for free.

It's also worth noting that Pearson just got reactivated from LTIR and actually put Vancovuer in a position where they would either be over the cap or would need to run a 20 man roster to stay below the cap.

It made a lot of sense for both sides.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Halak could easily win a cup here and be a big part as well. Think Hill, Khudobin, Francouz all have gotten close to or won the cup in the last few years alone

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

8. There is a chance some conversations and potential outcomes changed over the summer. One example is Calgary, where many of the Flames who departed frustrated and unhappy in April cooled down and returned to Alberta with positive mindsets — featuring a player-created pre-camp golf day that got social media run. That doesn’t mean negotiations will be easy, but it is noticeable among the players and organization how much better everyone seems to feel. I do think the Flames will re-engage with several potential UFAs. Tarot cards indicate Mikael Backlund and Elias Lindholm are probably the first attempts. We will see where things go. Colorado took a run at Backlund, before landing Ross Colton and Ryan Johansen.

Interesting note from Friedman. I guess there was something to all the speculation around Backlund and the Avs.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Interesting note from Friedman. I guess there was something to all the speculation around Backlund and the Avs.

Definitely more upside with the duo we opted for... But also way more risk particularly on Johansen.

I dunno, I wouldn't mind circling back on Backlund in January or February if the Flames are out of the playoff picture(I doubt it) or Backlund wont commit to them.

Would be nice to grab another middle 6 Center for insurance, and also then you can move Colton to wing where he's probably a more effective player.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If we are talking with the Flames about a trade later in the season, I'm hoping it's involving Lindholm at 50%, Girard, our 1st and maybe one of their expiring dmen if they aren't planning on re-signing them (Hanafin, Tanev, Zadorov) and whatever it takes to balance all that out. Last season at 5v5 Tanev commanded an xGF% of 61.20, Hanafin was 54.93 and even big Z came in at 54.59.

Ah shit... Girard was 51.16. Maybe Conroy decides to keep his better players and not do this after all. :laugh:

Also, Zadarov - 6'6" 235lbs, Hanafin - 6'3" 215lbs, Tanev - 6'2" 197lbs, Girard - 5'10" 170lbs. While we might be able to make it work via salary cap depending on the players and retention in play.... I'm not sure the Avs plane could actually take off if they added this kind of beef. They might need a bigger plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad