Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
LTIR and salary retention
:laugh:

I know people tend to overlook potential injuries here but it's a bit extreme to just go ahead and assume that someone new will be on LTIR from the trade deadline to the beginning of the playoffs (at least).

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
:laugh:

I know people tend to overlook potential injuries here but it's a bit extreme to just go ahead and assume that someone new will be on LTIR from the trade deadline to the beginning of the playoffs (at least).
Knowing the Avs, we'll have 3-4 out for the season by then

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

I inquired about a Pinto last week.

7G5y.gif

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Any trade is basically dollar in/dollar out. The chatter around Frank isn't about a season long LTIR, but seems like a 2 month thing.

Again, I state, 637k in extra space would be really nice to have.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
Any trade is basically dollar in/dollar out. The chatter around Frank isn't about a season long LTIR, but seems like a 2 month thing.

Punt McD to the moon. I know they won't do it early in the year, but at the deadline with 20 games left I can see it, it's not like they'll use him in the playoffs anyway.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Who do we have that's 637k overpaid right now that everyone else can make the joke about?

Edit: Nvm, I remember now. The 637k in bonus carryover which indeed wouldn't have happened if we didn't overpay everyone by 250k last year.

That's even more funny :laugh:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

What’s the specific 637K?

I keep seeing it. What did I miss?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Who do we have that's 637k overpaid right now that everyone else can make the joke about?

Edit: Nvm, I remember now. The 637k in bonus carryover which indeed wouldn't have happened if we didn't overpay everyone by 250k last year.

That's even more funny :laugh:
Now you get it. People meme'd it and it is biting the Avs in the ass right now. Avs would have ~1.1m in space to fill the Frank void (enough for 50% retention on Vladar or signing a guy). They'd also have had some ability to go for a bit higher targets or have more room at the deadline. When you're tight on the cap, every penny counts.

What’s the specific 637K?

I keep seeing it. What did I miss?
Bonus overage from last season due to being over the cap.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Now you get it. People meme'd it and it is biting the Avs in the ass right now. Avs would have ~1.1m in space to fill the Frank void (enough for 50% retention on Vladar or signing a guy). They'd also have had some ability to go for a bit higher targets or have more room at the deadline. When you're tight on the cap, every penny counts.

Bonus overage from last season due to being over the cap.

Oh yeah absolutely. This place laughed at the 250k overpaid last summer. Just unfortunate some of knew it wasn't a joke.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I also feel like I remember a conversation here last year about how they should have left Byram on the IR for 1 more game...

If he plays 1 less game, he doesn't get at least 2 bonuses last year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Jokes here are never not actually sarcasm and pessimism.

Not if you saw the M-A Cliche teams.
We should keep the jokes... and joking in dark times is the best way to keep it together.

200.gif

I also feel like I remember a conversation here last year about how they should have left Byram on the IR for 1 more game...

Yeah they could have avoided it with Byram (might have also been a potential NHLPA case if they did that), but on a personal level I get not doing that. Cap wise it hurt.

The Avs do have some exposure this year to the tune of ~300k. Stienberg, Foudy, Pavel, and Polin all have a games played performance bonus that likely hit at 10 games.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Keeping a player on IR for extra games when he's already healthy to keep him from getting his bonus would be an excellent way to piss said player off, which would have been especially pertinent in this case given that Byram was a pending RFA who was already going to be tricky to negotiate with. Not to mention the very realistic offer sheet risk.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Keeping a player on IR for extra games when he's already healthy to keep him from getting his bonus would be an excellent way to piss said player off, which would have been especially pertinent in this case given that Byram was a pending RFA who was already going to be tricky to negotiate with. Not to mention the very realistic offer sheet risk.

For the sake of 1 game I don't think it would have been an issue at all. Especially given Byrams injury history.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
If we’re of the belief that the Avs injuries won’t be much better this year, I don’t think the cap will be a problem for a deadline acquisition. Manson and Nuke will be on LTIR with bad ankles and they’ll be “questionable” to make a return around game 1 of the playoffs. Teams get creative at the deadline, even if it costs you a little more in assets.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If we’re of the belief that the Avs injuries won’t be much better this year, I don’t think the cap will be a problem for a deadline acquisition. Manson and Nuke will be on LTIR with bad ankles and they’ll be “questionable” to make a return around game 1 of the playoffs. Teams get creative at the deadline, even if it costs you a little more in assets.
Thats all good in theory, but the Avs haven't shown a tendency to try to use the LTIR loophole to maximise capspace before, even when presented with a perfectly good opportunity to do so a couple of seasons ago with Landeskog.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I've been watching the Avs since 1998 and feel pretty lucky to have seen 2 Cup victories in my lifetime, both were special teams in their own ways

Some fans never, ever get to see a championship team - I don't even mind the "dark days", they come with the territory of being this successful of a franchise
This gets lost so often. Winning titles is hard and they accomplished it with this core. Whenever the next rebuild happens, odds are high it won't result in a Cup win and the Avs go through another 07-17 stretch... maybe multiple. Strike while the iron is hot and hope you can get at least one... if the opportunity for more is there, keep piling in.

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
I've been watching the Avs since 1998 and feel pretty lucky to have seen 2 Cup victories in my lifetime, both were special teams in their own ways

Some fans never, ever get to see a championship team - I don't even mind the "dark days", they come with the territory of being this successful of a franchise
Imagine being a fan of a team like Toronto, who hasn’t won since 1966-1967 (which was the last season of there being only 6 teams in the entire league no less) :laugh:

That’s gotta hurt!

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Thats all good in theory, but the Avs haven't shown a tendency to try to use the LTIR loophole to maximise capspace before, even when presented with a perfectly good opportunity to do so a couple of seasons ago with Landeskog.
I agree with you on this which is really a shame. The Avs should be all chips in for the next 2-3 seasons. Use LTIR, trade all the picks and use all your capspace. Don’t go down with any bullets left in the chamber.

I’d be more satisfied as a fan knowing management did all they could when they had a chance of winning as opposed to half-measures with a balance of trying to win now and an eye towards the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad