Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Vladar would be worse case scenario for me. Incredibly average and costs even more than Francouz. We should be trying to spend less on our backup goalie, not more.

I assume Francouz would go the other way. Either that or he's likely done for the year in which case we LTIR him.

Edit: Hard to trust the source though quite frankly. Kid is 18, but apparently he works for Dobber so maybe?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Vladar would be worse case scenario for me. Incredibly average and costs even more than Francouz. We should be trying to spend less on our backup goalie, not more.

I assume Francouz would go the other way. Either that or he's likely done for the year in which case we LTIR him.

Edit: Hard to trust the source though quite frankly. Kid is 18, but apparently he works for Dobber so maybe?
Oh, I'll be crystal clear--based solely on this guy, I do NOT think it's legit. I just thought it'd be fun to post it lol

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I assume that CGY would eat half of Vladar's salary, perhaps involving a 3rd team.

I'd much ather have someone else though

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean if Calgary fully retains that’d make some sense… but taking up more cap space for at best a lateral move wouldn‘t be ideal.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
With regard to lines makeup the other issue I have with keeping Mack and Mikko together is we are not putting RyJo in a position to succeed. Let's give him the players/talent so he can have a good start of the season. Once that is accomplished than maybe you can try RyJo without Mikko to see if he can carry the 2nd line.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I actually don't mind Vladar, but I'm just not sure he makes a ton of sense for either party. Calgary needs to dump a goalie for Wolf to get in and establish... ideally though, he steals the starting job from Markstrom and they can move on from him. For the Avs, Vladar is simply too expensive cap wise. ~4.4m destined to the backups is too much. Even buried that is still over $3m. That is way too much off the cap for this team. Maybe you can pay for retention... but then you're probably paying a 3rd or 4th for him... when you could just wait and grab Lyon off waivers.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I actually don't mind Vladar, but I'm just not sure he makes a ton of sense for either party. Calgary needs to dump a goalie for Wolf to get in and establish... ideally though, he steals the starting job from Markstrom and they can move on from him. For the Avs, Vladar is simply too expensive cap wise. ~4.4m destined to the backups is too much. Even buried that is still over $3m. That is way too much off the cap for this team. Maybe you can pay for retention... but then you're probably paying a 3rd or 4th for him... when you could just wait and grab Lyon off waivers.
I just assumed it was a Reto Berra trade clone. Pay a 2nd for a shit goalie from the Flames and immediately extend him for 3 years lmao

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well according to the main boards Halak has signed with us already and are just awaiting official announcement in the next couple days from the Avs...

I'd prefer Halak over Vladar easily. Then you don't have to move Frank at all just LTIR him and dig Halak for league minimum.

If/when Frank does come back, you can send Halak down to the minors and not have any money left on the book... Plus that's a pretty good #3 quite frankly.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
The 3rd goalie thing is easy to solve, going to be plenty of capable 2/3 tweeners on waivers alone In a few weeks.

The bigger question is do they need to outright replace Frankie at #2, is he capable of being healthy this year or do they need a true #2.

Reactions: MarkT

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If/when Frank does come back, you can send Halak down to the minors and not have any money left on the book... Plus that's a pretty good #3 quite frankly.
I'm just wondering, why would Halak accept a contract without a NMC, unless he's really dead set on just getting to 300 and then he might as well hang them up.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm just wondering, why would Halak accept a contract without a NMC, unless he's really dead set on just getting to 300 and then he might as well hang them up.

Money? Desperation? Chance to win a cup?

Lots of reasons honestly. The fact it's September and he still isn't signed is a pretty good indicator that teams aren't exactly standing in line to sign the guy.

Reactions: Chiarelli

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Yeah I don't like that line at all. Obviously it looks great offensively but defensively it is scary. I much prefer Nuke with Mack and Drouin, and Mikko on the 2nd line with RyJo and Lehky.
Mack wanted Drouin signed for a reason ind it’s not to play on the third or fourth line. He is going to be given every opportunity to play on the top line and he absolutely has the talent.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Mack wanted Drouin signed for a reason ind it’s not to play on the third or fourth line. He is going to be given every opportunity to play on the top line and he absolutely has the talent.

I dont think his issue was with Drouin playing with Mack.

The issue is putting Mack and Mikko together. It makes the Avs way too top heavy and leaves the 2nd line much weaker. That trio(Mack/Drouin/Mikko) would also be pretty bad defensively bordering on liabilities.

Mack/Mikko are responsible enough on the defensive side so long as they have a workhorse like Nuke, Landy, or Lehky playing with them. When they don't have any of those guys, they're pretty bad defensively.

And, Drouin certainly isn't a workhorse by any means.

Mack and Drouin can play together all year long IMO and likely do well, but they need one of Lehks or Nuke playing with them for defensive work and also to create time and space for them offensively.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Money? Desperation? Chance to win a cup?

Lots of reasons honestly. The fact it's September and he still isn't signed is a pretty good indicator that teams aren't exactly standing in line to sign the guy.
Money? He's probably fairly well of as it stands. If he had been desperate for money, he would've been signed already for some time. I'm sure teams have called him.

Desperation? For 300 wins? That I can buy.

A chance to win a cup? Hard to do that when you are #3 and nominally have been with the AHL team. Just like Annunen when we won. I mean he was there, but was he really that big of a part of the team?

Besides, he had NMCs in his last two contracts. And let's say Frankie is out until December, you sign Halak and he backs up well. At that point, you are probably looking to move Frankie.

I would like us to get Halak, but like I said before, I just don't know how we are going to make it work. Not that hard if you want to, but there are some considerations.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Money? He's probably fairly well of as it stands. If he had been desperate for money, he would've been signed already for some time. I'm sure teams have called him.

Desperation? For 300 wins? That I can buy.

A chance to win a cup? Hard to do that when you are #3 and nominally have been with the AHL team. Just like Annunen when we won. I mean he was there, but was he really that big of a part of the team?

Money is likely not a major driving force but it's still $800k. Again I really don't agree with thay last statement. If teams were calling him with offers, why hasn't he signed yet, especially with his agent taking to Twitter to hype him up about being 5 wins away from 300?

And the chance to win a cup would have to be high on the list I bet, along with 300 wins. Even as the #3, he would almost certainly get his name on the cup. That's the part that matters.

A chance to hit 300 wins on a contending team, and then hopefully play a role(No matter how small) in a deep playoff run would be prettt alluring.

All that said, I'm not sure an NMC should even be a hold up. If Francouz is out long enough that he needs to go on LTIR then that will create cap space. Worse case Ontario, when Frank comes back you send Olofsson or MacDermid down and carry 3 goalies. Given this teams injury history, by the time Frank comes off LTIR, someone else is probably going on it anyways :laugh:

Reactions: The Moops

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Money is likely not a major driving force but it's still $800k. Again I really don't agree with thay lat statement. If teams were calling him with offers, why hasn't he signed yet?
Because I think he overestimated his market value. He probably thought he was getting a raise from his 1,5mil salary last season, or certainly not getting a downgrade. I'm pretty sure NYR would've preferred to keep him instead of signing Quick, if the contracts were equal. When the dust settled, a lot of the open positions have already been filled, and he has been left without a chair.

I also do believe he would like to sign for a good team. A chance to win the cup, and maybe more importantly (because his agent actually stated this), a chance to get 300 wins.

Even as the #3, he would almost certainly get his name on the cup. That's the part that matters.
Well if he plays for half the season as a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad