Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Pretty crazy how Cmac turned an absolute juggernaut into whatever shit we have in front of us now, in such a quick time span. I’m actually kind of impressed.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Honestly, this progression was easy to see coming… the cap, aging, and contract issues with a few mistakes leads to this.

I think most of us knew there was going to be some significant pains coming up with how the contracts lined up. I think that they needed to commit earlier, while everyone was on their cheaper contract, that was the time to go all in.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think most of us knew there was going to be some significant pains coming up with how the contracts lined up. I think that they needed to commit earlier, while everyone was on their cheaper contract, that was the time to go all in.
And why some of us have screamed to go all in for years. Including being upset at last years ole. Windows are always shorter than people think and can slam shut. We don’t know if it is shut today, but if this team fails and the commitments made to a number of guys, it’ll be hard to come back. The new guys, Byram, Toews, Nuke, and the stars all need to be a step or three better.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Honestly, this progression was easy to see coming… the cap and contract issues with a few mistakes leads to this.

Started with the albatross Manson contract, which rolled down hill to the horrific Ryjo transaction. 8.5 million dollars spent on garbage, which otherwise could have been used on a legit #2C.

Then another 4 million used on a #3C…who actually can’t play center.

12.5 million dollars…the cap isn’t even a good excuse.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean there's definitely a way out of this. It just takes a complete mortgaging of your future which, given the contracts we've signed you might as well go all in and trade 1sts in the next couple of years along with players like Olausson, Behrens, Gulyayev, and NHLers like Girard.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I mean there's definitely a way out of this. It just takes a complete mortgaging of your future which, given the contracts we've signed you might as well go all in and trade 1sts in the next couple of years along with players like Olausson, Behrens, Gulyayev, and NHLers like Girard.
The Avs won’t do that though… we know they won’t trade it all. And they are tied to Colton/RyJo for at least the season.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I still like the Colton and Wood additions. That third line hasn’t been productive, but they’ve shown in quite a few shifts the type of chaos they can create which will be big for the playoffs.

I was hoping that the RyJo, Drouin and Tatar pickups would work out better than they have so far.

Definitely feels like the team needs to add some high IQ guys that still have good drive to them.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs won’t do that though… we know they won’t trade it all. And they are tied to Colton/RyJo for at least the season.
I'm not saying they will. I certainly would, and I think GMs are too risk averse in general because the shelf life of GMs isn't a decade-plus the way these guys operate thinking they have lifetime jobs.

If they wanted to, though, they could get out of this and improve the team fast. It'd just take a real mortgaging of the future in 2024, 2025 and 2026.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I still like the Colton and Wood additions. That third line hasn’t been productive, but they’ve shown in quite a few shifts the type of chaos they can create which will be big for the playoffs.

I was hoping that the RyJo, Drouin and Tatar pickups would work out better than they have so far.

Definitely feels like the team needs to add some high IQ guys that still have good drive to them.
Wood is a 4th liner paid and playing on the 3rd line. That contract will be a disaster. Colton hasn’t played center well either. Chaos can be fun, but we need production.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site

Definitely remember the times when the 3rd line chaos’ed our way to the cup in 2022.

Who needs actual offensive production when you can have chaos. Maybe a little Ryan Reeves can be thrown in there during the TDL for good measure.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Also, anyone touting the bonafides

Definitely remember the times when the 3rd line chaos’ed our way to the cup in 2022.

Who needs actual offensive production when you can have chaos. Maybe a little Ryan Reeves can be thrown in there during the TDL for good measure.

Considering Vegas just won a cup with their bottom lines employing that strategy…but hey, you only show up when things are going bad, so who knows if you even know what success is.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Also, the days of touting the bonafides of our pro-scouting group are long gone. Just over two off-seasons of terrifyingly bad assessments. Somehow… they’re now almost as incompetent as our amateur scouting staff.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
FWIW I think Colton will end up being a solid player for us. I dont even think he was really an issue tonight.

Though with that being said, he might be a solid winger for us rather then Center... In which case that is yet another $4M spent on the wing and not down the middle.

They have GOT to figure out the Center depth. It is quickly becoming a sink or swim situation. And people here laughed off the significance of a quality 2C for the longest time but we are seeing first hand the result of poor Center depth right now.

If it were me... I'd be doing whatever it takes to get Lindholm here I think.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Considering Vegas just won a cup with their bottom lines employing that strategy…but hey, you only show up when things are going bad, so who knows if you even know what success is.

Oh, you mean the 3rd line that consisted of noted chaos agents like Reily Smith and William Karlson? Who casually have multiple 20-30 goal seasons between the both of them? You got me there oh great mod.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Oh, you mean the 3rd line that consisted of noted chaos agents like Reily Smith and William Karlson? Who casually have multiple 20-30 goal seasons between the both of them? You got me there oh great mod.

Smith and Karlson have always been on their top 2 lines, so I have no idea what you're saying here. Which they've had since the expansion draft and got for free.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Smith and Karlson have always been on their top 2 lines, so I have no idea what you're saying here. Which they've had since the expansion draft and got for free.
They were on the 3rd line for Vegas last year. Eichel is the top line and Stephenson is the 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad