Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean Jones and Tufte coming up today took off ~1.5mil of cap space. So assuming we're running a 21 man roster like normal we'll have a little over 2mil in cap space at the deadline. Plus we can move Drouin, Tatar, MacDermid, JJ in a deal for Tanev. It wouldn't be a challenge to acquire him at all.

I've been saying for months that the Avs spent over $3M on injury callups last year, and it would eat up whatever cap cushion they have this year.

The Avs had been lucky that only Landy and Franky were unable to play and they could go with a 21 man roster. That almost never happened last year and it's not going to be the case very often this year.

There's going to be plenty more Tufte/Jones situations to eat up their remaining space. Somebody will be injured and this is roughly the amount of cap space they'll have to spend at the deadline.

They're not moving Drouin, Tatar, or JJ after signing 1 year deals. Nobody would ever sign a 1 year deal with the Avs again. They signed to go Cup hunting not get traded halfway though the season.

Maybe they'll trade MacDermid but we'll see and I'm not sure that's enough for Tanev even at 50%. We'll have to know the exact cap situation near the deadline, and my guess is it won't be enough.

The Avs most likely built their team in the off season. Any remaining additions will likely be a cheap Kovalenko on a prorated deal and/or maybe a cheap depth D with around a $500k prorated cap hit.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I've been saying for months that the Avs spent over $3M on injury callups last year, and it would eat up whatever cap cushion they have this year.

The Avs had been lucky that only Landy and Franky were unable to play and they could go with a 21 man roster. That almost never happened last year and it's not going to be the case very often this year.

There's going to be plenty more Tufte/Jones situations to eat up their remaining space. Somebody will be injured and this is roughly the amount of cap space they'll have to spend at the deadline.

They're not moving Drouin, Tatar, or JJ after signing 1 year deals. Nobody would ever sign a 1 year deal with the Avs again. They signed to go Cup hunting not get traded halfway though the season.

Maybe they'll trade MacDermid but we'll see and I'm not sure that's enough for Tanev even at 50%. We'll have to know the exact cap situation near the deadline, and my guess is it won't be enough.

The Avs most likely built their team in the off season. Any remaining additions will likely be a cheap Kovalenko on a prorated deal and/or maybe a cheap depth D with around a $500k prorated cap hit.
We'll have more LTIR room by the TDL. There's always a player that could use the extra recovery time instead of playing through an injury that will open up space to make a move if needed.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
For this year? Avs can't afford his $4.5M even at 50%. He's about to turn 34 also so he's probably not in their long term plans.
With Francouz on LTIR they have ~$2.5m to play with, enough for Tanev at 50% ($2.25m).

Alternatively Tanev double retained at $1.125m) would be easy to fit.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Absolutely not. Rantanen isn't just some random first line winger. He's the type of guy you keep around for life if you can. An all-in type deal for Lindholm I wouldn't be opposed to. But to say we could take him over Rants is nuts. Rather rent Lindholm than see Rants go.

Ideally we could shed Manson in the process.

Insane how easily people throw away elite talent.

Reactions: The Moops

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
What needs to happen is kovalenko needs to be Nuke 2.0 and we trade Nuke before mikko's renewal
As long as Nuke has his head in the game, I like his contract quite a bit. One of the best two way forwards in the game.

You only trade Rants for Petterson, not Lindholm…. Same with Byram.
True, that makes way more sense.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
With Francouz on LTIR they have ~$2.5m to play with, enough for Tanev at 50% ($2.25m).

Alternatively Tanev double retained at $1.125m) would be easy to fit.
I bet the Avs hang onto whatever $ they have available until the deadline.

(Or until Kane is ready to come back). :D

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Least shocking news I've heard this year. Who would have ever guessed that the bargain bin guy who has like 10 goals in his last 150 games and is a notorious floater wasn't going to work out. Shocker.

Where are all the he's a lock for 50 pts plus people now? I'll admit I was hoping for better than what we've gotten but these results had to be somewhat expected.

In seriousness what now? We need another top 6 winger.

Reactions: The Moops

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Me coming into this thread and seeing Rantanen should get traded since he's likely gone.
giphy.gif

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Least shocking news I've heard this year. Who would have ever guessed that the bargain bin guy who has like 10 goals in his last 150 games and is a notorious floater wasn't going to work out. Shocker.

Where are all the he's a lock for 50 pts plus people now? I'll admit I was hoping for better than what we've gotten but these results had to be somewhat expected.

Yeah, he looks like he's struggling. Seems like the puck is never on his stick.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
To be honest, I'm a bit shocked he didn't produce at all. Even Yakupov put up points his first 8 games with us.
I agree. It was never supposed to be a long-term thing, people saw the playoff benching coming even with a decently productive season, but already done at this point is quick.

Also, I would argue @chet1926, that when people are being optimistic you don't need to post "where you at". But then again you could. ;)

Reactions: missionAvs

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

DeBrusk would have been the plan IMO, but Boston refuses to go away so that may not be an option anymore.

Shouldn't be hard to find a decent middle 6 winger however. They're quite literally always available at the deadline and usually for not much more than a mid round pick.

If the Center position holds up over the season, then they probably look at a winger at the deadline.

Reactions: chet1926

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
To be honest, I'm a bit shocked he didn't produce at all. Even Yakupov put up points his first 8 games with us.
Like I said I was hoping for a little better, but it's clearly not working and it's not close. Drouin is consistently one of the worst players every night. His NHL days are numbered IMO, I wouldn't be shocked to see him waived in the next couple of weeks. Not sure if anyone gives him a chance at this point.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Like I said I was hoping for a little better, but it's clearly not working and it's not close. Drouin is consistently one of the worst players every night. His NHL days are numbered IMO, I wouldn't be shocked to see him waived in the next couple of weeks. Not sure if anyone gives him a chance at this point.

That's a little harsh honestly.

His analytics are fine. He's actually generating chances individually as well.

But it is going exactly how it probably should be going quite frankly.

Reactions: cinchronicity

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I agree. It was never supposed to be a long-term thing, people saw the playoff benching coming even with a decently productive season, but already done at this point is quick.

Also, I would argue @chet1926, that when people are being optimistic you don't need to post "where you at". But then again you could. ;)
The reality is that there were tons of people around here saying he's a lock for 50 pts. Now they are crickets.

I'm not gloating or anything as I don't like that's it's not working out with Drouin as it actively hurts the team. But I also would love to hear from the he's a lock for at least 50 pts crowd for their thoughts in what now? They were adamant that we were fine with this route, but we clearly aren't so what now?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
That's a little harsh honestly.

His analytics are fine. He's actually generating chances individually as well.

But it is going exactly how it probably should be going quite frankly.
I don't see it as harsh, it's reality.

He's not doing anything of value, no points, defensive liability, lots of floating, no PKing. Chances are great and all, but chances don't equate to something tangible that makes him an asset to the team.

I mean a minor league player like Tufte or Pavel could easily match what Drouin has given us so far and those guys offer a physical side that Drouin can't.

I don't hate Drouin but he isn't doing anything to keep himself around. I could easily see him getting waived and I don't think another team will give him a shot at this point.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The reality is that there were tons of people around here saying he's a lock for 50 pts. Now they are crickets.

I'm not gloating or anything as I don't like that's it's not working out with Drouin as it actively hurts the team. But I also would love to hear from the he's a lock for at least 50 pts crowd for their thoughts in what now? They were adamant that we were fine with this route, but we clearly aren't so what now?
It's not like we had a ton of options.

Reactions: missionAvs

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Drouin is one of those players that kept getting brought up here over the years because of the MacKinnon connection. It finally happens and it turns out Drouin is just as he has been in his previous teams.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't see it as harsh, it's reality.

He's not doing anything of value, no points, defensive liability, lots of floating, no PKing. Chances are great and all, but chances don't equate to something tangible that makes him an asset to the team.

I mean a minor league player like Tufte or Pavel could easily match what Drouin has given us so far and those guys offer a physical side that Drouin can't.

I don't hate Drouin but he isn't doing anything to keep himself around. I could easily see him getting waived and I don't think another team will give him a shot at this point.
Generating chances at a consistently high basis is absolutely positive value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad