Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Usually when folks jump to conclusions before the season starts, or say I told you so after a few games, they get proven wrong. Hopefully that happens again.

Drouin did not get scratched for lack of production though. He got scratched because he's not forechecking consistently enough.

This is not an easy system to play. We see it every time someone new comes here. It's hard to forecheck the way Bednar wants and still produce. They usually sacrifice one or the other. There's a reason none of the new guys are producing and it's not Drouin's fault that Tatar, Colton, and Wood aren't producing either.

Drouin is tied with MacKinnon for 1st on the team with 9 high danger chances. Colton has 6 and Wood has 2. Tatar has 1. Drouin's individual Corsi is higher than Colton and Wood too and only below Nate, Mikko, and Val among the forwards. He has more individual scoring chances than Colton or Wood, and is only below Nate, Mikko, Val, and RJ overall.

But guys like Colton and Wood are forechecking hard like Bednar wants, so they stay in the lineup, while Drouin and Tatar who aren't forechecking how he wants consistently, get scratched early, to send them the message that this is a priority for him.

Bednar isn't like the people here that overreact to everything. He wouldn't care if they had 0 points, as long as they were playing the way he wants. But they're not, and the team got shut out twice in a row, so they get to sit. But not because they're not producing.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Usually when folks jump to conclusions before the season starts, or say I told you so after a few games, they get proven wrong. Hopefully that happens again.

Drouin did not get scratched for lack of production though. He got scratched because he's not forechecking consistently enough.

This is not an easy system to play. We see it every time someone new comes here. It's hard to forecheck the way Bednar wants and still produce. They usually sacrifice one or the other. There's a reason none of the new guys are producing and it's not Drouin's fault that Tatar, Colton, and Wood aren't producing either.

Drouin is tied with MacKinnon for 1st on the team with 9 high danger chances. Colton has 6 and Wood has 2. Tatar has 1. Drouin's individual Corsi is higher than Colton and Wood too and only below Nate, Mikko, and Val among the forwards. He has more individual scoring chances than Colton or Wood, and is only below Nate, Mikko, Val, and RJ overall.

But guys like Colton and Wood are forechecking hard like Bednar wants, so they stay in the lineup, while Drouin and Tatar who aren't forechecking how he wants consistently, get scratched early, to send them the message that this is a priority for him.

Bednar isn't like the people here that overreact to everything. He wouldn't care if they had 0 points, as long as they were playing the way he wants. But they're not, and the team got shut out twice in a row, so they get to sit. But not because they're not producing.

IMG_0154.gif

“Yeah, ya know, I don’t know.”

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Least shocking news I've heard this year. Who would have ever guessed that the bargain bin guy who has like 10 goals in his last 150 games and is a notorious floater wasn't going to work out. Shocker.

Where are all the he's a lock for 50 pts plus people now? I'll admit I was hoping for better than what we've gotten but these results had to be somewhat expected.

In seriousness what now? We need another top 6 winger.

Your desire to be right about Drouin, seems to outweigh your beliefs on sample size, and I told you so posts.

plenty around here seem to be Deion haters who like to say I told you sold.
People want Deion to fail so badly that they are just waiting for the slightest hiccup so they can run to their keyboard to talk shit. I've never seen anything like it.
I love how the Deion haters come out of the woodworks to say see I told you so, all hype no substance etc.
Dater will totally play the I told you so card.
I do realize Lee is ppg at the moment, but that is a small sample size, that can easily change.
It could be small sample size, it could be regression.
The sample size is extremely low. The Avs certainly have the core to win.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

With the way Tufte played last night Drouin better get used to nachos because he isn't getting back in the lineup any time soon.

Tufte was engaged and very noticeable in a positive way. Way moreso than Drouin had been in 6 of the 8 games he played. Not sure Tufte will stay on line 2, but I'm not sure how you can keep him out of the lineup.

Not too mention when 56 inevitably leaves the lineup I would assume Tatar is next in line as he has been slightly better than Drouin.

So short of injury I don't see Drouin rotating back in anytime soon.

He's simply not a great NHLer he can't bottom 6 effectively and doesn't produce often enough to warrant top 6 mins.

You can blame small sample size all you damn well feel like but the guy has like 10 goals in his last 150 games, that's a trend not a small sample.

I don't hate Drouin and want him to succeed to here because that would help the team, but the reality is, is he is struggling to gain any traction and has proceeded to go from top line to benched in 8 games. Clearly the coach didn't think his game is close to where it needs to be.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Drouin can't shoot the puck anymore because of his wrists, he doesn't like physical play and isn't good defensively.

Objectively, that leaves him with really not much to offer. He can make great passes when he has time and space but that alone isn't enough to keep you in the NHL.

Reactions: Chiarelli

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Ditch Tatar and Drouin for someone that can fill a roll in this lineup plz. Neither makes a ton of money but ~2.5 mill tied up in dead weight is too much on a contender
I think we're going to need Drouin and Tatar at points in this regular season to play in the top 6 when injuries inevitably hit. We don't want a Matt Nieto type on the second line, and our experiment of putting LOC there for a few games did not work well either.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Drouin can't shoot the puck anymore because of his wrists, he doesn't like physical play and isn't good defensively.

Objectively, that leaves him with really not much to offer. He can make great passes when he has time and space but that alone isn't enough to keep you in the NHL.

He’s pretty good at controlled zone entries on the powerplay too.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I know it is only one game but I am curious if LOC worked on his stamina this offseason. His effort didn't seem to dip in the 3rd period last night like it did last season when being played quite a bit more than usual. He played almost 18 minutes last night. That would be a big plus for the Avs if that is the case.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I know it is only one game but I am curious if LOC worked on his stamina this offseason. His effort didn't seem to dip in the 3rd period last night like it did last season when being played quite a bit more than usual. He played almost 18 minutes last night. That would be a big plus for the Avs if that is the case.
LOC has looked fine in spurts when up the lineup. The issue is when he’s there for a prolonged period. So the test I think will be if he’s there for like 5+ games I think.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
With the way Tufte played last night Drouin better get used to nachos because he isn't getting back in the lineup any time soon.

Tufte was engaged and very noticeable in a positive way. Way moreso than Drouin had been in 6 of the 8 games he played. Not sure Tufte will stay on line 2, but I'm not sure how you can keep him out of the lineup.

Not too mention when 56 inevitably leaves the lineup I would assume Tatar is next in line as he has been slightly better than Drouin.

He's simply not a great NHLer he can't bottom 6 effectively and doesn't produce often enough to warrant top 6 mins.

You can blame small sample size all you damn well feel like but the guy has like 10 goals in his last 150 games, that's a trend not a small sample.

I don't hate Drouin and want him to succeed to here because that would help the team, but the reality is, is he is struggling to gain any traction and has proceeded to go from top line to benched in 8 games. Clearly the coach didn't think his game is close to where it needs to be.

I want MacDermid on the team.

The final straw was Makar being ran by some goof.. We at least need the presence of an enforcer with Landeskog out so opposing players at least think twice about taking liberties with our players.

As for Tufte, what a 1st game. He had 3 scoring chances by my eye and was all over the ice. I like that kid.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I want MacDermid on the team.

The final straw was Makar being ran by some goof.. We at least need the presence of an enforcer with Landeskog out so opposing players at least think twice about taking liberties with our players.

As for Tufte, what a 1st game. He had 3 scoring chances by my eye and was all over the ice. I like that kid.
MacDermid is a detriment to the team. He doesn't contribute anything offensively or defensively, he doesn't "enforce" or "deter" anything, he can't skate fast enough to land a hit, and if he magically decides to fight nobody is willing to square up with him. His 3 minutes a night could go to someone who can actually do one of those things and doesn't have his cap hit. If we ever trade him the team he goes to will be worse off than when they didn't have him.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
MacDermid is a detriment to the team. He doesn't contribute anything offensively or defensively, he doesn't "enforce" or "deter" anything, he can't skate fast enough to land a hit, and if he magically decides to fight nobody is willing to square up with him. His 3 minutes a night could go to someone who can actually do one of those things and doesn't have his cap hit. If we ever trade him the team he goes to will be worse off than when they didn't have him.

You've never played hockey then at a competitive level if you think enforcers aren't needed.

Sure, the hit might have happened but then the next shift MacDermid comes out and sends a message himself. I guarantee players will see that and think twice.

I know I did because I didn't want to get ran into the boards or get punched in the face. It's not fun.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I would agree on Tufte. He should play over Drouin right now. I really liked his pre-season too. But this team will inevitably have injuries. There will be more opportunities for both.

But let's be honest. Don't try to have it both ways. You don't want Drouin to succeed. You're invested in this narrative. Which is why you came here to gloat about Drouin not producing, while you're complaining about other people rushing to their keyboards to gloat about Deion Sanders.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
You've never played hockey then at a competitive level if you think enforcers aren't needed.

Sure, the hit might have happened but then the next shift MacDermid comes out and sends a message himself. I guarantee players will see that and think twice.

I know I did because I didn't want to get ran into the boards or get punched in the face. It's not fun.
Name one person MacD has protected because of a fight he had? Fact is that he doesn't jump anyone who causes harm, he legitimately can only get other face punchers to fight.

I don't need to have played competitive hockey to see that he doesn't do jack shit out there besides being burned for 3 minutes straight. In fact the most memorable things I've seen from him this year are from him getting leveled a few times on hits. Last time I went to a game he got the shit kicked out of him by Lucic.

He's not a good player and his salary could be better spent on a lot of other players.

Just think for a second during the playoffs in our cup run how many minutes did he play? What did he do besides getting plastered in the club and dropping the cup to entertain us that summer? Absolutely nothing. He's a liability and adds nothing to the team. He's never once jumped someone. Prove me wrong.

Landy and Naz were much more effective because they'd actually go after guys. MacD just skates away if he can't find a partner.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The effectiveness of enforcers like MacDermid being a deterrent is like the debate about the importance of faceoffs. You're not going to see it reflected in all situations.

He's not a deterrent for all players, every game, but he is for some players in other situations. The importance of that is up for debate, but he's not a non factor.

There have been countless times the scrums died down or emotions cooled off from the opposition when he was on the ice, or physical players passed up dangerous hits like Tom Wilson on MacKinnon with his head down.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Drouin and Tatar aren't doing a lot on the scoresheet, which is where their impact should be, but they are so cheap it's not like we can just get better players for cheaper.

I am not including Tufte in regards to them because I feel like he's bullied his way onto the team and will be making nacho artists out of anyone who's not currently pulling weight. I know it was just one game but damn he fit in nicely and after seeing so many smallish guys on our bottom six it's nice to have another talented player who won't get run over when teams rough it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad