Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'm tired of complaining about it, so just bring on the Toews 7 year contract.

It f***s the team royally in 3 years (like they're absolutely going to lose Mikko or Cale, royally) but this year and probably next year the Avs really just need to figure out the 2C problem and there's no reason they couldn't win another cup before everything goes to shit.

The contention window hard closes after next season though. Either they find a way to keep Rantanen and can't afford to ice a competitive roster or Rantanen walks and they lose a top winger that made them competitive.

So cMac NEEDS to go balls to the wall this year and next. Fire every trade asset into the sun for cap dumps, depth, and for the love of god find a real 2C.

Then we get to endure over a decade of shit starting 25-26 season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yes. That's right. A good comparable may be Pietrangelo. He signed for 8.8 four years ago. What would his deal be if he was a free agent this year? 10? 11 mil per? Maybe more?

I think Toews starts with a 9. If you wete Toews would you take 20-25 mil less over the length of his deal? I wouldn't.
Pietrangelo would probably get less today with his age. ;)

Market here is somewhere around 9-9.5 x 7. Typically the 8th year discount is 2-4m added to total of the 7 year deal... so 8.125-8.375 x 8. I expect a bit of a discount from Toews from those numbers. How much is the crux.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I wonder if a Toews extension makes a Bo trade more feasible. Keep Girard just cause if his known quantity.

Problem is moving Bo doesn't really help them too much cap wise for the two years they're actually competitive.

One of Girard/Manson are most likely gone next summer. I'm quite surprised Girard is still here TBH.

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
7.5 means he would get less than what Orlov got on the open market. And Toews is the superior player. Power just signed for 8.35 mil x 8 and Toews is the better player. Dahlin got 11 mil per year but he had an amazing year. I think Toews will get a deal in between those two guys.

Toews knows how much he would get on the open market and it probably starts with a 10.

8 x 9.675 mil for him to stay in Colorado and we give him the 8th year.
With Dahlin and Power you're getting only prime years. With Toews 7-8 years you're getting maybe 2-3 good years and then a big drop most likely. Not comparable

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Would be nice to have it done and hopefully at a reasonable rate.
Yeah, getting it done sooner rather than later would be great as it would give clarity on what additional roster moves can be made this season and next.

Without Toews signed it would be very risky to add a player with term by the TDL. For example, let's say for example that the Avs are interested in Peeke who has a $2.75m X 3 year commitment; it would be quite risky adding that contract as it could limit flexibility with Toews. With Toews signed though the outlook for is suddenly much clearer, at least until 2025 when Georgiev, Byram, Rantanen, Johansen, and O'Connor are up, so you can suddenly start to think of how to build some extra depth until 2025.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Toews gives us the best chance to win today. The only scenario where it ever made sense not to keep him, was if they were going to do a scorched earth rebuild in the next year, obviously that isn't going to happen.

Avs won't do it but Byram would certainly be my top trade chip now. Probably for a Top 4RD with a different skill set from what we have here right now quite frankly.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Toews gives us the best chance to win today. The only scenario where it ever made sense not to keep him, was if they were going to do a scorched earth rebuild in the next year, obviously that isn't going to happen.

Avs won't do it but Byram would certainly be my top trade chip now. Probably for a Top 4RD with a different skill set from what we have here right now quite frankly.
Please let's not trade Byram for a meat and potatoes Dman just because he's a RHS. Just add a RHD at the deadline, there are plenty available.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah it would be greeeaaaat if we could not have the Seider Vs Byram debate on here for the 985th time.

*Insert office space meme*
scrooged-sometimes-the-truth-is-painful.gif

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I’d move Byram for the best possible C at this point. Hard to hate the pick given the role he played in us winning a cup. After G went down he logged some big time minutes. The 3 headed monster of Makar/Toews/Byram vs Tampa was a huge reason we won.

Yeah Jack Hughes would be nice but we used up all our luck losing the lottery and getting Makar instead of Nolan Patrick.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
7X7.25 BANG! What a deal

I’d move Byram for the best possible C at this point. Hard to hate the pick given the role he played in us winning a cup. After G went down he logged some big time minutes. The 3 headed monster of Makar/Toews/Byram vs Tampa was a huge reason we won.

Yeah Jack Hughes would be nice but we used up all our luck losing the lottery and getting Makar instead of Nolan Patrick.

Trade Girard in this situation with a doubt lol.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Byram has been my fav player since the Avs drafted him, but if he returned a legit 2C under team control I'd drive his ass to the airport myself.

Honestly, it'd be better for Byram to be traded to a team that cemented him onto their PP1.

As the Avs sit today for next season, there are 15 players signed (9F - 5D - 1G) for a total cap hit of ~84.9m. Cap is expected to be 87.675m. 2.775m in cap room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad