Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So a 6M AAV 3rd line wing under contract for 7 years? Better be a temporary solution.
You harp too much on the placements of players.

Nichushkin can look more like a 6M player with Colton and Wood than he can with Johansen and Lehkonen IMO. So play him where he's best suited. Not like he's going to see 10 minutes and call it a night.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
It is kind of crazy to look back at just how dominant of a run that was and yet you still had some doom and gloom during it.

I think it’s messed with the idea/expectation of a contender as well. Avs we’re probably done being on that level after the cup unless they got lucky with a few players. Cap simply makes it very hard to have that dominant of a cup team. If we win again it’ll be far more up and down.
Yea there's a LOT of sementic intertwined in this whole never-ending dispute about window/cup contender status/objective vs realist vs pessimist vs rosy glasses, etc...

At one extreme, for a select few, the bar seems set very high. The Avs need to be a top 2-3 team in the league, with no glaring weakness and very little uncertainty at important positions in order to meet the bar, otherwise the window is possibly already closed and the team is at risk of sinking fast. This group usually views itself as objective and realist.

At the other end. the bar is very low. As long as we have MacKinnon + Makar + Rantanen we will be contenders and the window will be open. They are usually calle dthe homers / rosy glasses.

And then +90% of this board is somewhere in between... fighting on semantics like "window closing", "Cup contender status", etc...

This has taken so much room that you now see takes that are very Dater-like : I like what the Avs did, they can easily be a top 3 team in the league and win the Cup, but there are risks, and they could very well miss the playoffs and realize that their window has already closed... I believe that this is a bit extreme, but not completely crazy at all. I think the floor is higher than that, as demonstrated last year when all hell broke lose yet we still won the division. But that's where sementics kicks-in again. What were we last year? We won the division but lost in the first round. Were we a cup contender or a team with a closed window. If we have a progression but a smallish one this year in the regular season. Meaning division champ again but with consistency issues with RyJo and Drouin for example. What will we be ? Without hindsight based on the playoff performance ?

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I think ideally we could find another C to push RyJo down and/or move Colton to the wing, but that is a lot easier said than done given cap constraints, etc. I think a good player for this team would be a guy like Nieddereiter, who could be had for $2M with retention and could replace Tatar at the deadline.

Basically we could have Kovelanko, Landeskog (hopefully) and Niederreiter all joining the current group for the playoffs and push everyone down into better roles

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Drouin
Nichuskin - RyJo - Rantanen
Lehkonen - Colton - Niederreiter
Wood - Oloffson - LOC
Cogliano/Kovalenko

With that kind of winger depth the shortcomings at C are less noticeable

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think ideally we could find another C to push RyJo down and/or move Colton to the wing, but that is a lot easier said than done given cap constraints, etc. I think a good player for this team would be a guy like Nieddereiter, who could be had for $2M with retention and could replace Tatar at the deadline.

Basically we could have Kovelanko, Landeskog (hopefully) and Niederreiter all joining the current group for the playoffs and push everyone down into better roles

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Drouin
Nichuskin - RyJo - Rantanen
Lehkonen - Colton - Niederreiter
Wood - Oloffson - LOC
Cogliano/Kovalenko

With that kind of winger depth the shortcomings at C are less noticeable
I really hope the Pinto situation just continues for a bit, I do think he'd be a really nice fit for this team.

Reactions: Rumplesnipeskin

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I really hope the Pinto situation just continues for a bit, I do think he'd be a really nice fit for this team.
Pinto would be amazing here.

I really don't think the Avs will reverse course this season with RyJo. The assets aren't there for a mid-season change, the cap isn't easy to work, and they know he elevates his play. They are ride or die on him this season. If he completely fails this season and in the playoffs, they probably move on in the summer (likely would have to be bought out at that point).

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver

I really don't think the Avs will reverse course this season with RyJo. The assets aren't there for a mid-season change, the cap isn't easy to work, and they know he elevates his play. They are ride or die on him this season. If he completely fails this season and in the playoffs, they probably move on in the summer (likely would have to be bought out at that point).
We just stash him on the 3rd line with Colton as his LW, and end up with 2 3rd lines.

Colton pinto Tatar
Wood olofsson LOC

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Pinto is on the market we'll have to outbid all the other teams that want him (unlikely) + can't send money back to Ottawa we'd have to pay someone to take a roster player that we need.

So yea, needless to say that chances of it happening are near 0 or 0.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I'm definitely with you there. It's a pipe dream, but having MacK-Pinto-Colton down the middle would be pretty nice.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
To me... it is clear what the Avs have planned for the top 9 center positions over the next few seasons:

23-24: MacK-RyJo-Colton (Colton is backup #2C)
24-25: MacK-RyJo-Colton (attempt to break in Ritchie as a NHLer)
25-26: MacK-Ritchie-Colton (Colton is backup #2C)

If failure happens, the move will be to shore up 3C and move Colton up. So not a Pinto sort of guy, but more of an Eller/Soda sort of guy.

Dickinson and Henrique would be the two names I'd watch down the line. If the Avs struggle at center, I think those are guys they'd target. If they don't struggle at center, they'll want DeBrusk to shore up the top 9 wings and move Tatar down for the playoffs. If there is a mix of the questions, Henrique makes even more sense with his positional versatility.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
To me... it is clear what the Avs have planned for the top 9 center positions over the next few seasons:

23-24: MacK-RyJo-Colton (Colton is backup #2C)
24-25: MacK-RyJo-Colton (attempt to break in Ritchie as a NHLer)
25-26: MacK-Ritchie-Colton (Colton is backup #2C)

If failure happens, the move will be to shore up 3C and move Colton up. So not a Pinto sort of guy, but more of an Eller/Soda sort of guy.

Dickinson and Henrique would be the two names I'd watch down the line. If the Avs struggle at center, I think those are guys they'd target. If they don't struggle at center, they'll want DeBrusk to shore up the top 9 wings and move Tatar down for the playoffs. If there is a mix of the questions, Henrique makes even more sense with his positional versatility.

Thats a short ass runway for Ritchie....

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I was only able to watch all of the 1st and a few min of the 2nd, but Nuke looked lazy to me, at least in the 1st.
He picked it up a little later on, started winning puck battles and bulldozing his way through guys--I could be wrong but I thought he also laid a pretty good hit on Dubois later in the game.

Slow starts for Nuke are nothing new. Took him a while to get his wind back last year, given his rather...interesting offseason, we might be seeing more of the same. Who knows.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He picked it up a little later on, started winning puck battles and bulldozing his way through guys--I could be wrong but I thought he also laid a pretty good hit on Dubois later in the game.

Slow starts for Nuke are nothing new. Took him a while to get his wind back last year, given his rather...interesting offseason, we might be seeing more of the same. Who knows.
Yeah I didn't like Nuke the first two periods but I thought he was a lot better in the third. He did take a couple of shifts with Colton and they looked really good together.
I still don't like that 2nd line.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I was only able to watch all of the 1st and a few min of the 2nd, but Nuke looked lazy to me, at least in the 1st.
Here's a visual representation of Nuke's game last night.

1st period.
4f625074ca30bc8d7b79d472e945e51d.gif

2nd period.
viralhog-drunk.gif

2nd intermission.
henry-vacuum.gif

popeye-spinach.gif

3rd period.
4f26fcf889635e1806bcc14baee08d32.gif

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Yeah I didn't like Nuke the first two periods but I thought he was a lot better in the third. He did take a couple of shifts with Colton and they looked really good together.
I still don't like that 2nd line.

Tatar is miscast on that 3rd line too. Put him with a natural passer like Johansen and let Nichushkin and Colton wreak havok

Drouin- Mackinnon- Rantanen
Lehkonen- Johansen- Tatar
Wood- Colton- Nichushkin
O'Connor- Olofsson- MacDermid

*Cogliano

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Prosvetov is a guy I’ve liked for a long time. Has size and is super athletic. Holes in his game for sure, but he has the athletic tools to succeed in the NHL unlike Annunen.
Add in the Avalanche goaltending coaches being able to work wonders for the most part with whomever has been in net. The system and goaltender coaching has made a massive difference even for goalies like Gru.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Add in the Avalanche goaltending coaches being able to work wonders for the most part with whomever has been in net. The system and goaltender coaching has made a massive difference even for goalies like Gru.
I think the system makes it pretty easy for most goalies to come in. Where the Avs start having issues is rebounds and seam passes... which exposes less athletic goalies. Prosvetov doesn't have that issue though.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
IF Landeskog comes back, he'd be a compliment to RyJo.
Landeskog can match any speed of play and be successful (unlike someone like MacK who lives and thrives in turbo mode)

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
Henrique is such an Avs target. Not a crazy big name option, but someone with versatility who can come in, not cost too much, and be fine.
yes. I'll go so far as to say he was the target last year after Toews died, and then Henrique got hurt.

Yes, I know he plays wing mostly for the Ducks. No, I don't think the Avs care just like with Colton or Olafsson.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
That's what the Avs do... they pencil in young guys to these roles and they sink or swim.
Your timeline gives him 4 seasons in junior, no? Has him with the Avs in a season where he turns 21?

Or is my math stoned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad