Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I love how you can apparently only be a fan if you ignorantly buy into all delusions of success.
Optimism is a term if use in place of ignorant. Pessimistic people are energy drains and useless from where I sit

Unless cMac is able to pull a legit 2C out of his ass at the deadline, it absolutely does. The Avs WILL NOT win another cup with a liability at 2C, history proves that point over and over again.
Kadri turned out alright, go back and read those threads…

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If RyJo doesn't pan out by the deadline what then? Get the best rental C you can get and roll with this?...

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen ----- Rental 2C -- Rantanen
Colton ------------- RyJo ------- Tatar
Wood ------------ Olofsson ---- O'Connor
Cogliano/Kovalenko

For argument's sake, let's say that the Ryjo addition is an outright disaster and it's clearly NOT working... then I believe that the Avs wouldn't wait until the TDL and that by the end of November, they'd package him up for a better option (potentially a guy like Kuznetsov comes to mind). Clearly, under such a scenario the Avs would pay through the nose to dump and upgrade Ryjo but I believe they would pay the price because too much is invested into the 'reload' that is this season.

I don't think it gets to that point though. I think Ryjo will have up-and-down moments during the regular season. Times where he looks really good and other times when he looks super lazy and we are all frustrated with him but having said all that, I'm still expecting about a 50 point season and he's talented enough to get that done.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Did you not see what happened last year with Compher as 2C?

What happened in 2021 when Kadri got suspended?

Quite literally this very core group has years of evidenced failures when they don't have a legit 2C. And on the flip side the one year where they had a good 2C, they dominate the league and win the cup.

2C is one of the most important positions in hockey and yes, the success or failure of our very controversial 2C, will entirely determine the success or failure of this team. Not a hot take at all, just more facts based on mountains of evidence.

Like I said. Absurd.

If we had a healthy Landeskog and Manson and Nichushkin didn't go awol we roll in the playoffs last year. With Compher as a 2C.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Been thinking about a couple players lately.

I am sure we kicked the tires, but man, moving for Pinto wouldn’t be the worst option at Center, although he’s not a true #2 C.

Boqvist out of CBJ would be a *nice* option on RD, too, if they would be so kind as to send him our way at a bargain-basement price.

Now that it has been typed into existence, it will certainly never happen (did Pinto sign today?)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There were so many 2C options this offseason and we end up with a washed ghost. Unbelievable.

Not nearly as many as you think, especially given the Avs cap situation.

Let’s give it time. One game. But yes he’s going to frustrate the living hell out of everyone a lot of nights. We can only hope he’ll show up enough on others.

But there’s also some lineup issues that need to be addressed. Much as he loves to try it, Lehkonen and Nichushkin on the same line never works and Bednar needs to get over it. I get he wants the Triple Moose thing to work but he’s gotta mix and match a little more. I wish a Johansen/Drouin tandem wasn’t a defensive black hole, those two kinda clicked well in the preseason.

I also think Nuke was hella rusty despite some flashes of brilliance. Once he rounds into form things should get better.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Not nearly as many as you think, especially given the Avs cap situation.

Let’s give it time. One game. But yes he’s going to frustrate the living hell out of everyone a lot of nights. We can only hope he’ll show up enough on others.

But there’s also some lineup issues that need to be addressed. Much as he loves to try it, Lehkonen and Nichushkin on the same line never works and Bednar needs to get over it. I get he wants the Triple Moose thing to work but he’s gotta mix and match a little more. I wish a Johansen/Drouin tandem wasn’t a defensive black hole, those two kinda clicked well in the preseason.

I also think Nuke was hella rusty despite some flashes of brilliance. Once he rounds into form things should get better.
I was only able to watch all of the 1st and a few min of the 2nd, but Nuke looked lazy to me, at least in the 1st.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The 2nd line had 2 good shifts in the 3rd... the others were also pretty bad. It is one game and hard to extrapolate everything from it. There just wasn't a lot positive you can take from it. Also of note, Nuke also had a few moments with Colton where he looked very good there. I think if we see a tweak, we're going to see Nuke with Wood and Colton and Tatar up. Not real sure how I feel about that. It is probably the best mix of skills... but can't help but think both lines will be offensively neutered.

Johansen has always been frustrating player. Nothing new. As long as he performs better than Compher, I am happy.

Also Nuke and Lehkonen is a bad fit. I wish he had one more skill guy on his line.

That's a bar I'm not personally happy with. I want this team to contend at a high level, which means RyJo can't simply be slightly better... he has to be a good 2C at a minimum.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The 2nd line had 2 good shifts in the 3rd... the others were also pretty bad. It is one game and hard to extrapolate everything from it. There just wasn't a lot positive you can take from it. Also of note, Nuke also had a few moments with Colton where he looked very good there. I think if we see a tweak, we're going to see Nuke with Wood and Colton and Tatar up. Not real sure how I feel about that. It is probably the best mix of skills... but can't help but think both lines will be offensively neutered.

That's a bar I'm not personally happy with. I want this team to contend at a high level, which means RyJo can't simply be slightly better... he has to be a good 2C at a minimum.
Johansen shows up for the playoffs. I am not worried.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
The answer is pretty f***ing easy, he was cheap and free to acquire.

The Avs have prioritized defensive depth over having a proper second line center.

As they should. We have been a dominant team with that model and just won the cup.

Stud Dmen are just so much harder to find and are way more important than second liners.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Like I said. Absurd.

If we had a healthy Landeskog and Manson and Nichushkin didn't go awol we roll in the playoffs last year. With Compher as a 2C.
Partially correct, IMO.

Leaving Landeskog out of it, I believe that with Manson and Nichushkin in the lineup - AND Giorgiev not letting in a patsy goal every other game - the Avs go to the WCF last season.

And lose to Vegas.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
This board being pessimistic? Bro.. some people gave up after Avs lost to the Blues in game 5 in our cup run. Keep your optimism guys and plan the parade already.

It is kind of crazy to look back at just how dominant of a run that was and yet you still had some doom and gloom during it.

I think it’s messed with the idea/expectation of a contender as well. Avs we’re probably done being on that level after the cup unless they got lucky with a few players. Cap simply makes it very hard to have that dominant of a cup team. If we win again it’ll be far more up and down.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I would rather see Nichushkin with Colton and Wood while Tatar plays with Lehkonen and Johansen.

The Avs aren't going to move on from Johansen. He already looks good on the PP, they're just going to have to hope he gets better at 5v5 then his "give a f***" levels increasing in the playoffs.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I would rather see Nichushkin with Colton and Wood while Tatar plays with Lehkonen and Johansen.

The Avs aren't going to move on from Johansen. He already looks good on the PP, they're just going to have to hope he gets better at 5v5 then his "give a f***" levels increasing in the playoffs.
I think that is what is going to happen in time. We need 5v5 production from RyJo though... to the tune of 45+ points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad