Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
They don't have any depth... they might make a run based on Vasi going god mode, but they are not a legitimate contender. They've aged out and they don't have the depth anymore. They are a playoff team, but one that likely won't win more than a round for the next few years.

As some examples of their depth issues... Motte is on their 2nd line. Eyssimont (who I actually quite like) is on their 3rd. The 4th line is old man Glendening and a random Finn. Raddysh is on their middle pairing. The current backup goalie has never played a NHL game. They still have some high end talent for sure... but they are an absolute mess lower in the lineup.
Literally us in 2 years or less as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Tampa has had both for years... they've just hit their wall.

I agree their run has been insane. Not many teams have had the success of Tampa over an 8 year run, they just don't have the well to pull from now. The NHL level prospect pool is thin... losing college UFAs has really hurt their ability to re-tool. On the deadline, they'll make moves, but they don't have the assets to pull in the levels of guys they really need. There are no A level prospects unless Howard really breaks out at Michigan State, the next 1st they can sell is 2026... 25 2nds get you Eller sorts of guys. I just don't see it, especially in the East where it will be a bloodbath all season.

I could see them as a 1st wild card that upsets a team like Carolina... but an actual contender I don't see.
Yeah, I am not saying they are top contenders, but never count them fully out. What you are saying is the most likely scenario probably.

True, so we better make two finals in the next 2 years. :D

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah odds are probably that. I feel like I have to disclaim this with I like what the Avs did this offseason... but it is risky. Drouin, RyJo, and Wood are all cast offs and expected for top 9 roles. If (read if) they fail like they did with their prior teams, the Avs are in a similar boat to Tampa today... just without the high end goaltending.

Yeah, I am not saying they are top contenders, but never count them fully out. What you are saying is the most likely scenario probably.

True, so we better make two finals in the next 2 years. :D

I'm sure there is a definition difference on contender. Some think just making the playoffs and ability to have a run as a contender. I'm of the side that normally you can pick somewhere between 5-7 at the beginning of each season and 90+% of the time the Cup winner will come from that group.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah odds are probably that. I feel like I have to disclaim this with I like what the Avs did this offseason... but it is risky. Drouin, RyJo, and Wood are all cast offs and expected for top 9 roles. If (read if) they fail like they did with their prior teams, the Avs are in a similar boat to Tampa today... just without the high end goaltending.

I'm sure there is a definition difference on contender. Some think just making the playoffs and ability to have a run as a contender. I'm of the side that normally you can pick somewhere between 5-7 at the beginning of each season and 90+% of the time the Cup winner will come from that group.
Yeah there's definitely a chance we are already Tampa... Though I tend to agree that I like most of what they did this summer. Outside of Wood pretty much and his success/failure isn't really important for this year at least(He becomes more important when the cap space gets even tighter in the coming years I would say).

I also agree with that contender evaluation, although I'd argue closer to 5 teams then 7 honestly. And I think today the Avs are in that 5-7 group personally(Though they could climb quite a bit by the time April rolls around in my rankings).

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

I guess that's a fair definition. Then I wouldn't call them contenders. They have a small chance.

Yeah there's definitely a chance we are already Tampa... Though I tend to agree that I like most of what they did this summer. Outside of Wood pretty much and his success/failure isn't really important for this year at least(He becomes more important when the cap space gets even tighter in the coming years I would say).

I also agree with that contender evaluation, although I'd argue closer to 5 teams then 7 honestly. And I think today the Avs are in that 5-7 group personally(Though they could climb quite a bit by the time April rolls around in my rankings).
It depends on how our gambles pay off. We could be the best team in the league, but also way worse. If nothing pans out, we will look like the previous year's team. OK.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

I'm not worried about Wood this year so much as down the road. If he's just and overpaid 4th liner, gotta find a way to Ferland him sooner rather than laters.

I could squabble on where exactly the line is, but year Avs are somewhere between 6th and 9th to me. If RyJo performs well, they could easily elevate a spot or 3. So I'd have them at the late fringe this year. Contending, but not a top tier contender.

I guess that's a fair definition. Then I wouldn't call them contenders. They have a small chance.

It depends on how our gambles pay off. We could be the best team in the league, but also way worse. If nothing pans out, we will look like the previous year's team. OK.
Yeah I'd agree with that.

And agree there too.... If RyJo is back to his 25 year old 1C level, Avs will be very tough to beat. If he's last year's very bad 2C who should be lower down the lineup... Avs are not any better than last year, arguably worse.

IMO if the Avs don't make it out of the first round this year, the red flags should be waiving on the window and some extreme moves may need to be made to save what is left. I think you could make the argument on the 2nd round too. This team needs to succeed and the risks need to pay off. If they don't the next 2-3-4 years are in jeopardy.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Yeah pretty much.

Although, I would say if nothing pans out(Like all of our gambles fail) we're much worse rather that just last years team.

But I do think there's an avenue to where we are legitimately the cup favorites heading into the playoffs again. If Landy comes back and looks legitimately good heading into the playoffs, I think we instantly are a Top ~3 contender. The other area I'd look at upgrading would be Drouins roster spot. Assuming RyJo and Colton both excel at 2C and 3C, I'd look at bringing in a legit Top line winger to fill out the rest of the roster. Jake DeBrusk being the guy I like most for that role.

If the Avs went into the playoffs with a lineup of:

DeBrusk - Mack - Nuke
Landy - RyJo - Mikko
Lehky - Colton - Tatar
Wood - Oloffson - LOC
Cogs/Kovalenko/Drouin

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - Johnson
Jones/Malinski/Hunt

That's the cup favorite IMO. Assuming good health and RyJo/Colton panning out positively.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
There's way too much doom and gloom in this thread for the first game of the season. I get trying to stay objective, but come the f*** on guys. The season is finally here. Hockey is BACK!

F*** the Golden Knights.
F*** the Wild.
F*** the Blues.
f*** the Blackhawks.
F*** the Jets.
F*** the Coyotes.
F*** the Stars.
And for tonight F*** LA too.

Let's win and have some fun.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
There's way too much doom and gloom in this thread for the first game of the season. I get trying to stay objective, but come the f*** on guys. The season is finally here. Hockey is BACK!

F*** the Golden Knights.
F*** the Wild.
F*** the Blues.
f*** the Blackhawks.
F*** the Jets.
F*** the Coyotes.
F*** the Stars.
And for tonight F*** LA too.

Let's win and have some fun.

I think sport forums in general are very bipolar. Look at Penguins forum yesterday before the game. People were bumped up for the season. They lost one game Vs a bad team and now they are upset that there's another 81 games. Haha

We sports fans are all a bit cuckoos nest.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Columbus fans on the main trade board and on capfriendly have been open to something around COL 2026 2nd + Francouz for Peeke. Capwise that would work well.

Edit: CBJ would need to retain $225k for that trade to be possible for Colorado (with a 22 man roster and MacDermid and JJ as 13F and 7D). Alternatively just send MacDermid down.
Yeah I can see why. A very good backup (when healthy) and a 2nd round pick is an excellent return for a guy who is essentially a bottom-pair D-Man and hasn't been able to be more than that (yet) on a bad team earning almost $3M per year.

Don't think the Avs need a guy like that unless they really believe he can play in the Top-4 AND Manson shows that he's unable to play.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I think sport forums in general are very bipolar. Look at Penguins forum yesterday before the game. People were bumped up for the season. They lost one game Vs a bad team and now they are upset that there's another 81 games. Haha

We sports fans are all a bit cuckoos nest.
Bumped up? Wow, yeah I bet they were energetic.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
See Juuse Saros. He’s listed at 5’11 the same way Girard is listed as 5’10 :laugh:

The odds are against a goalie that small, but it’s not impossible.

That applies to Pleshkov too though, he might not actually be 5'10".

Reactions: AvsCOL

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
We have a good track record of picking up bit-part players and them improving. I've tried reading this thread over the past week or so and it drove me insane. We'll be fine.

It’s just a select few that haven’t been able to get off the doom and gloom train. Camp, pre season and all reports suggest the new guys fit like gloves. We shall find out soon enough but this is the deepest team the avs have had in awhile.

Reactions: Alienblood

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I understand that there are question marks to this season. But I still struggle tremendously to understand how some people believe we are worse off than last year, or the same.

Lehkonen-MacKinnon- Rantanen
Nichushkin- Newhook- Rodrigues
Cogliano-Compher-LOC
Blidh-Sedlak-Meyers

That was our starting lineup.

Are we a top 3 contender. No I don’t think so

Are we better than last year? I don’t see how we aren’t.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
That means nothing for the Avs. Indefinite could mean back in two weeks.... could mean he's never heard from again until he writes in the Player's Tribune. :laugh:
While true, I have a feeling we’re not seeing him until 2024 at the earliest. And that’s if he ever plays again for the Avs

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I understand that there are question marks to this season. But I still struggle tremendously to understand how some people believe we are worse off than last year, or the same.

Cogliano-Compher-LOC
Blidh-Sedlak-Meyers

It is all risk/reward and really down to RyJo and Drouin working out. Colton and Compher are in the same general area of players. Wood isn't dramatically better than Cogs or LOC, but he allows one of those guys down. Drouin is a worse player than ERod, but has a much higher ceiling. RyJo is clearly a more talented and better fit for 2C than Newhook... but if he's a 35-40 point lazy 2C, is he any better? Oloffson/Sedlak... meh crappy 4th liners either way.

To me, the ceiling is obviously higher than last year's team, but the floor is lower too.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

I hate this ******* team

Cogliano-Compher-LOC
Blidh-Sedlak-Meyers

Yep, that's trash and then you add the injuries we had. Terrible team.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah pretty much.

Although, I would say if nothing pans out(Like all of our gambles fail) we're much worse rather that just last years team.

But I do think there's an avenue to where we are legitimately the cup favorites heading into the playoffs again. If Landy comes back and looks legitimately good heading into the playoffs, I think we instantly are a Top ~3 contender. The other area I'd look at upgrading would be Drouins roster spot. Assuming RyJo and Colton both excel at 2C and 3C, I'd look at bringing in a legit Top line winger to fill out the rest of the roster. Jake DeBrusk being the guy I like most for that role.

If the Avs went into the playoffs with a lineup of:

DeBrusk - Mack - Nuke
Landy - RyJo - Mikko
Lehky - Colton - Tatar
Wood - Oloffson - LOC
Cogs/Kovalenko/Drouin

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - Johnson
Jones/Malinski/Hunt

That's the cup favorite IMO. Assuming good health and RyJo/Colton panning out positively.
If RyJo doesn't pan out by the deadline what then? Get the best rental C you can get and roll with this?...

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen ----- Rental 2C -- Rantanen
Colton ------------- RyJo ------- Tatar
Wood ------------ Olofsson ---- O'Connor
Cogliano/Kovalenko

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If RyJo doesn't pan out by the deadline what then? Get the best rental C you can get and roll with this?...

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen ----- Rental 2C -- Rantanen
Colton ------------- RyJo ------- Tatar
Wood ------------ Olofsson ---- O'Connor
Kovalenko
I highly doubt the Avs would make a trade like that. More likely is Colton becomes the 2C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad