Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsInRhodey

Oct 26, 2020
I fully agree with you. This second window thing is not happening... it would be risky as hell, with risks way outweighting the potential gains. Teams usually try that when they don't have much of an alternative. I.e. they fell off a cliff and have to try something. They Avs will do like the Pens, they'll squeeze as hard as they can for as long as they can. Because of the quality and number of star players they have, they will never do what would be needed to try for a second window. We tend to forget that there is a business behind the team as well...
Yep, this is how I see it too. We will be very competitive for the next 4 runs (maybe less, but I'm optimistic) and then we go through a period of another 4ish years where we maintain an extremely top heavy, star-laden lineup that hovers around the bubble due to lack of depth. Maybe we land a hot goalie in one of those later seasons and catch lightning in a bottle in the playoffs.

Once Mack retires, we reevaluate where we stand and perhaps we signal for an actual rebuild. Pretty much the Pen's model, hopefully with better asset management.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs are going to push for as long as they can and it will be for longer than their window is. How competitive the Avs are is going to be determined on how well the risks taken pan out. The Avs are not longer in sure thing territory with key positions. They are going to the risk/reward route. The next couple seasons are tied to RyJo, Colton, Wood, Drouin, Manson, and George... how that group ends up playing ultimately will determine the success. With the talent up top, they can overcome some failure... just maybe not at key positions. IE RyJo, Colton, and George likely to have to work out. They can probably survive Drouin, Wood and Manson all failing.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The Avs are going to push for as long as they can and it will be for longer than their window is. How competitive the Avs are is going to be determined on how well the risks taken pan out. The Avs are not longer in sure thing territory with key positions. They are going to the risk/reward route. The next couple seasons are tied to RyJo, Colton, Wood, Drouin, Manson, and George... how that group ends up playing ultimately will determine the success. With the talent up top, they can overcome some failure... just maybe not at key positions. IE RyJo, Colton, and George likely to have to work out. They can probably survive Drouin, Wood and Manson all failing.
We also cant afford an anchor like manson last year and sadly landeskog as well (we sat on so much LTIR money).

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013

2024B04A-9E4A-453B-A9A3-BA05B67C59A1.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Surprised Meyers wasn't shipped out.
Why would he be shipped out? When he's played in the AHL he's done pretty well. His underlying numbers look solid enough at the NHL level, but is obviously missing the finishing. There MIGHT still be an NHL level player in there, but obviously time is running VERY short for him.

At the worst he's a good AAAA player to have, someone who can be called up for spot duty but is a good player in the AHL, that's not bad to have.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Don't know anything about him, but it is notable that there are only two goalies in the NHL listed under 6 foot, and they're both 5'11. Soros and Stalock.

Pleshkov is about to turn 21 and he's listed at 5'10". Which might even be an exaggeration.

For reference, Franky is a smaller goaltender, and he's listed at 6'0". Georgiev also not that big by NHL standards is listed at 6'1".

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
There's no guarantee but Kings are currently proving that it's possible to make two runs with your best players. You need to commit to it, draft well and sign good UFA's.

If you ride your entire 1st core for too long you're done.
I’d argue Washington and St Louis fit the idea that you can win later on with your core also

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Don't know anything about him, but it is notable that there are only two goalies in the NHL listed under 6 foot, and they're both 5'11. Soros and Stalock.

Pleshkov is about to turn 21 and he's listed at 5'10". Which might even be an exaggeration.

For reference, Franky is a smaller goaltender, and he's listed at 6'0". Georgiev also not that big by NHL standards is listed at 6'1".
See Juuse Saros. He’s listed at 5’11 the same way Girard is listed as 5’10 :laugh:

The odds are against a goalie that small, but it’s not impossible.

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
Why would he be shipped out? When he's played in the AHL he's done pretty well. His underlying numbers look solid enough at the NHL level, but is obviously missing the finishing. There MIGHT still be an NHL level player in there, but obviously time is running VERY short for him.

At the worst he's a good AAAA player to have, someone who can be called up for spot duty but is a good player in the AHL, that's not bad to have.
The way our roster is currently constructed, he has no shot any day soon of making middle 6.

If we trade him to a young team that can provide an opportunity and ice time, he may yet still have some value elsewhere.

Might be best to use that value now if we have no plans to use him outside of 4C, we have plenty of other options for 4C.

We wouldn't get a high-end player to be sure, but I think we could have brought in a legitimate player who could contribute on third pair.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Someone else that comes to mind that’s also extremely obvious so I’m not searching under rocks for this team is Tampa. They lost in Cup final in 2015 to Chicago but won it 4-5 years later. I have faith Avs will contend for a while, but obvious they’ll have choices to make along the way to prolong this window. Toews extension. Possible Manson AND Girard trades, etc.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Someone else that comes to mind that’s also extremely obvious so I’m not searching under rocks for this team is Tampa. They lost in Cup final in 2015 to Chicago but won it 4-5 years later. I have faith Avs will contend for a while, but obvious they’ll have choices to make along the way to prolong this window. Toews extension. Possible Manson AND Girard trades, etc.
and Tampa are still a threat

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Tampa is absolutely not a threat right now.
They are still a threat as long as their goaltender returns to a reasonable level from injury and their top guns work. There is too much skill on that team and a nicely balanced roster.

Never count out a team with a great goaltender and a good team. Florida made it to the finals. (and they are better than Florida overall).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
They are still a threat as long as their goaltender returns to a reasonable level from injury and their top guns work. There is too much skill on that team and a nicely balanced roster.

Never count out a team with a great goaltender and a good team. Florida made it to the finals. (and they are better than Florida overall).
They don't have any depth... they might make a run based on Vasi going god mode, but they are not a legitimate contender. They've aged out and they don't have the depth anymore. They are a playoff team, but one that likely won't win more than a round for the next few years.

As some examples of their depth issues... Motte is on their 2nd line. Eyssimont (who I actually quite like) is on their 3rd. The 4th line is old man Glendening and a random Finn. Raddysh is on their middle pairing. The current backup goalie has never played a NHL game. They still have some high end talent for sure... but they are an absolute mess lower in the lineup.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
They don't have any depth... they might make a run based on Vasi going god mode, but they are not a legitimate contender. They've aged out and they don't have the depth anymore. They are a playoff team, but one that likely won't win more than a round for the next few years.

As some examples of their depth issues... Motte is on their 2nd line. Eyssimont (who I actually quite like) is on their 3rd. The 4th line is old man Glendening and a random Finn. Raddysh is on their middle pairing. The current backup goalie has never played a NHL game. They still have some high end talent for sure... but they are an absolute mess lower in the lineup.
They will improve at the trade deadline. They have too many critical pieces for me to say they are "out of it". They had a long summer break, which should help them mentally and physically prepare for this season. Also, they might want to make one last dance before riding to sunset. 3 Cups in 5 years would be unique—dynasty stuff. Add one more visit to Finals.. It's pretty insane.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
To be fair, we don't have Tampa's drafting. Although pro scouting may make up for it (at least partially).
Tampa has had both for years... they've just hit their wall.

They will improve at the trade deadline. They have too many critical pieces for me to say they are "out of it". They had a long summer break, which should help them mentally and physically prepare for this season. Also, they might want to make one last dance before riding to sunset. 3 Cups in 5 years would be absolutely amazing. Dynasty stuff really. Add one more visit to Finals.. It's pretty insane.

I agree their run has been insane. Not many teams have had the success of Tampa over an 8 year run, they just don't have the well to pull from now. The NHL level prospect pool is thin... losing college UFAs has really hurt their ability to re-tool. On the deadline, they'll make moves, but they don't have the assets to pull in the levels of guys they really need. There are no A level prospects unless Howard really breaks out at Michigan State, the next 1st they can sell is 2026... 25 2nds get you Eller sorts of guys. I just don't see it, especially in the East where it will be a bloodbath all season.

I could see them as a 1st wild card that upsets a team like Carolina... but an actual contender I don't see.

• Wow
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad