Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
As the Avs sit today for next season, there are 15 players signed (9F - 5D - 1G) for a total cap hit of ~84.9m. Cap is expected to be 87.675m. 2.775m in cap room.
Landy can't come back, that's a given.

Also we'll have to replace a top 6er (Drouin) who makes 825k. Good luck to us.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Landy can't come back, that's a given.

Also we'll have to replace a top 6er (Drouin) who makes 825k. Good luck to us.

Landy will be back for next season... who knows after that, but he's not retiring yet. What this points to is one or more of RyJo, G, or Manson are gone. Different ways to execute that, but I don't see a situation where all 3 are back.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
As the Avs sit today for next season, there are 15 players signed (9F - 5D - 1G) for a total cap hit of ~84.9m. Cap is expected to be 87.675m. 2.775m in cap room.
Yeah if Landy does indeed return, the writing is on the wall for Girard or Byram essentially... Maybe Manson.

The good news though, is they have all the main positions signed in those 15 playrers... You're looking at:

Landy - Mack - Mikko
Lehky - RyJO - Nuke
Wood - Colton - ????
LOC - ???? - ????

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - ????

George
???

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah if Landy does indeed return, the writing is on the wall for Girard or Byram essentially... Maybe Manson.

The good news though, is they have all the main positions signed in those 15 playrers... You're looking at:

Landy - Mack - Mikko
Lehky - RyJO - Nuke
Wood - Colton - ????
LOC - ???? - ????

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - ????

George
???

Also forgot about Kovalenko... For better or worse I'd bet he's slotted into the 3rd line RW slot next year.

AvsInRhodey

Oct 26, 2020
Landy will be back for next season... who knows after that, but he's not retiring yet. What this points to is one or more of RyJo, G, or Manson are gone. Different ways to execute that, but I don't see a situation where all 3 are back.
Agreed. Manson is the first guy to go in any scenario. Assuming Landy comes back, then we probably trade Girard. Next offseason we put our pro scouts to work to find an up-and-coming RFA dman in the 3M range to replace G.

If RyJo fails in year 1, we trade him too, but we need to spend assests to bring in another 2C in the 4M range. Not a lot of cap savings to be had at 2C even if we are willing to throw in a 1st rounder or 2 to fix that situation. If Ryjo is successful in year 1, we thank our lucky stars and learn to live with a weaker #4 and #5 dmen. The optimist in me thinks either Malinksi or Behren will be ready to fill a 3rd pair role next year, and we do the normal Avs thing where we trade for a guy who magically pops in our system and boom there's Byrams partner.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Not too worried about our D depth. Makar, Toews and Byram should eat a lot of minutes. We just have to pray Makar is healthy and Byram. Those are the biggest question marks imo.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Alright here's the purely hypothetical I just put together for next year and how it would work cap wise:

- Girard to Chicago at the 2024 draft for TBL 2024 1st + DAL 2025 2nd
Assuming Girard has a strong bounce back year, Avs get decent draft pick capital for him assuming the Tampa 1st isn't high but in the 21-25 range, Chicago does this because they need to turn all the draft pick capital they've acquired into legit NHL talent to surround Bedard and start making strides to improve. G would be the best PMD on the Hawks and a legit Top 4 option(Good partner for Jones IMO).

- Re-sign Prosvetov 2x$950k

Lehky(4.5) - Mack(12.6) - Mikko(9.25)
Landy(7.0) - RyJo(4.0) - Nuke(6.125)
Wood(2.5) - Colton(4.0) - Kovalenko(0.9)
???? - Pavel(0.9) - LOC(1.05)

Toews(7.25) - Makar(9.0)
Byram(3.85) - Manson(4.5)
???? - Malinski(0.85)

George(3.4)
Prosvetov(0.95)

At this point, the Avs would be left with an $87.5M cap, Avs would be left with $4.9M in space for a #3LD, a 4th line winger, and then 13th forward and 7th Dman. The two extra guys should be league minimum $800k deals so basically $3.3M for the last two roster spots. Could sign a $1M 4th liner and have just over $2M for a decent 3rd pairing guy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Alright here's the purely hypothetical I just put together for next year and how it would work cap wise:

- Girard to Chicago at the 2024 draft for TBL 2024 1st + DAL 2025 2nd
Assuming Girard has a strong bounce back year, Avs get decent draft pick capital for him assuming the Tampa 1st isn't high but in the 21-25 range, Chicago does this because they need to turn all the draft pick capital they've acquired into legit NHL talent to surround Bedard and start making strides to improve. G would be the best PMD on the Hawks and a legit Top 4 option(Good partner for Jones IMO).

- Re-sign Prosvetov 2x$950k

Lehky(4.5) - Mack(12.6) - Mikko(9.25)
Landy(7.0) - RyJo(4.0) - Nuke(6.125)
Wood(2.5) - Colton(4.0) - Kovalenko(0.9)
???? - Pavel(0.9) - LOC(1.05)

Toews(7.25) - Makar(9.0)
Byram(3.85) - Manson(4.5)
???? - Malinski(0.85)

George(3.4)
Prosvetov(0.95)

At this point, the Avs would be left with an $87.5M cap, Avs would be left with $4.9M in space for a #3LD, a 4th line winger, and then 13th forward and 7th Dman. The two extra guys should be league minimum $800k deals so basically $3.3M for the last two roster spots. Could sign a $1M 4th liner and have just over $2M for a decent 3rd pairing guy.

I know pure hypothetical, but Chicago isn't trading for G. Davidson loves size and girth to his D. :nod:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Moving money costs a fortune in assets. Even with the cap going up we'd be lucky if someone offers to take G for no contract back. I don't think we get anything of value in return if that happens.

Best case scenario is probably someone who's willing to take G at full cap hit for a couple of AHL contracts.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It is all really dependent on performance. If G plays like he did 3 years ago, there will certainly be a team willing to take him on and pay decent. There is a bit of threading the needle due to his size, but if his play is good, it can be figured out. If it isn't, he's going to be fairly tough to move. This goes for Manson and RyJo too... though if Manson or RyJo fail, buyouts will be on the table. Yeah that extends the hits... but you get immediate relief and the extension beyond the deals is only around a million.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Moving money costs a fortune in assets. Even with the cap going up we'd be lucky if someone offers to take G for no contract back. I don't think we get anything of value in return if that happens.

Best case scenario is probably someone who's willing to take G at full cap hit for a couple of AHL contracts.

If Girard has no market (I think he will) then you simply keep him and trade Byram, or Manson.

Girard is worth more to the Avs than it would be too just dump his cap space.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I’d explore trading Byram now. He will get you the best return and if you’re choosing between him and Mikko anyways in 2 years that’s a no brainer.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I’d explore trading Byram now. He will get you the best return and if you’re choosing between him and Mikko anyways in 2 years that’s a no brainer.

I know you're down on Byram but its selling low. Youre just as well off hoping he has a (mostly) healthy season.

But maybe youre right. Who knows what the offers currently might be?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Just rounding here... essentially the Avs need to find $8m to keep Byram, and Rants. RyJo's $4m expires at the same time to be replaced by Ritchie's <1m. There's 3. Cap should go up another 5%, there's 4.5m. Which just means finding 500k somewhere through discount, further moves, etc. Keeping both Byram and Rants is possible. What it will continue to do though is eat away at the depth.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Girard is getting moved. Avs aren’t going to carry a 5m third pair guy forever. We will also see some youth come up next year, might not be the same power house but such is life and every top team goes through it
I think it's pretty obvious that Girard is here to stay. Just last game it was Manson on the 3rd pair and not G. Manson will be moved and G or Bo will play their off side. No way will Cmac replace 25 year old with a 35 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad