Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Part Deux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
To an extent. No matter how badly Mikko plays, he will not get demoted to the 4th line and Bednar elevates LOC to the top line for his effort. And the same goes for Byram getting into the top pairing. It's not happening with the Avs, no matter how well Byram plays.
Byram already has the 3rd most average time on ice among Avs dmen. And when Toews was sucking earlier in the year, Byram played with Makar.

And no, Rantanen doesn’t get demoted, because as lazy as he is, as bad as he can play, he’s a 100 point player. He produces to compensate for his crap play.

So obviously there are exceptions. When was the last stretch of time where Byram clearly outplayed Toews?

And ultimately, it’s a moot point. Toews, style-wise, is a perfect compliment for Makar. It gives Makar free-reign.

Reactions: Avsfan1921

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
This is a scenario where the Avs complete inability to draft viable NHLers is killing them. Even if the Avs were just league average at drafting the chaos machines would work so well. You have some rookies filling in for cheap talent in the middle-6 and suddenly the expense of having those guys is much more palatable.

Unfortunately, the Avs like drafting the Tyson Jost's and Alex Newhook's who are kinda just bland.
What kills me about Jost and Newhook is it should have been clear they were middle 6 wingers at best. You can get into variances, but you can find middle 6 winger types easily in the 2nd round. They could have traded down from the Newhook pick and grabbed Brink and another defensemen… and ended up with a similar outcome (in a way they kinda did that with how it ended up this summer).

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Byram already has the 3rd most average time on ice among Avs dmen. And when Toews was sucking earlier in the year, Byram played with Makar.

And no, Rantanen doesn’t get demoted, because as lazy as he is, as bad as he can play, he’s a 100 point player. He produces to compensate for his crap play.

So obviously there are exceptions. When was the last stretch of time where Byram clearly outplayed Toews?

And ultimately, it’s a moot point. Toews, style-wise, is a perfect compliment for Makar. It gives Makar free-reign.
I'm not arguing against any of this, and I'm not saying the Avs should do anything differently. Just that I disagree with the fact that it's all up to the player to play his way into the better position, or that you can show your true potential regardless of your position in the lineup. Sometimes players need to be thrown into the deep end and let them play their optimal position to actually let them develop into that role in the NHL. We were not doing that because we tried to win. And did win. New York has faced the same type of dilemma with Laf and Kakko. They have been mostly utilized as 3rd liners in their young careers and guess what they look like right now? Third liners (although Laf has improved this season). Byram looks like a 2nd pairing guy because that's how he has been played.

Writing has been on the wall with Byram for at least a year now, probably even before our cup run. He doesn't really have a chance to get into the top pairing, unless Toews would've completely fallen off. Which wasn't likely, and hasn't happened. As such, if there is still any way that between his injuries and inconsistent play, some organizations still view him as a potential #1, the Avs should've done that trade yesterday to potentially address their #2C issue, or get the assets to address it.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
With all the debates and discussions, I would like to once again loudly proclaim that I just want Tage Thompson. I'm going to force it to become a reality through pure will and gibberish on a message board.

Try it out. You can 100% convince large numbers of people of anything on the internet, through sheer repetition alone.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I'm not arguing against any of this, and I'm not saying the Avs should do anything differently. Just that I disagree with the fact that it's all up to the player to play his way into the better position, or that you can show your true potential regardless of your position in the lineup. Sometimes players need to be thrown into the deep end and let them play their optimal position to actually let them develop into that role in the NHL. We were not doing that because we tried to win. And did win. New York has faced the same type of dilemma with Laf and Kakko. They have been mostly utilized as 3rd liners in their young careers and guess what they look like right now? Third liners (although Laf has improved this season). Byram looks like a 2nd pairing guy because that's how he has been played.

Writing has been on the wall with Byram for at least a year now, probably even before our cup run. He doesn't really have a chance to get into the top pairing, unless Toews would've completely fallen off. Which wasn't likely, and hasn't happened. As such, if there is still any way that between his injuries and inconsistent play, some organizations still view him as a potential #1, the Avs should've done that trade yesterday to potentially address their #2C issue, or get the assets to address it.
I don’t disagree.

I didn’t mean to suggest that play alone will dictate role. It was more meant to show that if a player is playing well, they will get minutes. That doesn’t necessarily mean top minutes or minutes on top pairings, but definitely increased role within the team.

Unfortunately for Byram, he was never going to be better than Makar. And Makar is best with the puck. And Toews’ style of play is more conducive to getting the maximum out of Makar. Byrams style of play isn’t really similar, so the idea of him being a top pairing in Colorado was always going to be a challenge.

But yes, I agree. If they can solve the 2C problem with a legitimate solution, by all means, use Byram, or Girard, or 1sts or prospects. But it has to legitimately solve the problem for a t least medium term.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Probably helps to explain… that graph is z score. 0 is supposed to be average, negative means worse in that area, positive means better in that area.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I heard a rumour from somewhere that the Sabres and Avalanche have been discussing a deal around Tage Thompson. That would be an interesting move. (Am I doing it right!?)

Sort of, but you jumped the gun. It works better if you start off by turning something subjective into something objective by saying it very confidently over and over.

Just make up a bunch of nonsense about who he is as a person, and exaggerate his faults, while ignoring all the good plays he makes, and repeat it ad nauseam.

You might have to be patient, but if you establish the groundwork, there will be a point where he struggles a little bit. Then you can start the trade talk, and create a bunch of threads, and you got em hook line and sinker.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
You need to state from an inside source connected to Adams.
I've got a buddy who works for the Buffalo Bills and has frequent contact with the Pegulas. He reached out recently since he knows I'm a hockey fan as he overheard Pegula on the phone with someone discussing something about Tage Thompson and the Avalanche. Don't shoot the messenger but I thought you'd all be interested in hearing this! (Did I do good?)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I dont think we have the cap to do that if we want to address center and defence.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Perry is the ultimate 4th liner for a playoff run. He's still very effective.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't want Perry. Rats like him, or Marchand (who's turned into a great player) or Avery, or Cooke, are just scummy dudes.

They may be the type of player that some would love on their team, but you have to have a high level of scum in you to constantly be sucker punching people, and making dirty hits.

Decent human beings don't really do that over and over. Maybe a couple times if they let their emotions get out of control, but not as often, or as calculated as how Perry does.

Not shocking at all that he get involved in an off ice incident in Chicago and they terminated his contract.

He's not a leader. He's just a vet who loses in the Cup Finals unless he has Pronger, Niedermayer, and Beauchemin patrolling his blue line with a prime JSG in net, and Getzlaf and Selanne up front.

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
Try it out. You can 100% convince large numbers of people of anything on the internet, through sheer repetition alone.
Sheer repetition of a point of view or trade proposal may convince some but others will quickly begin to ignore the poster's rant.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I don't want Perry. Rats like him, or Marchand (who's turned into a great player) or Avery, or Cooke, are just scummy dudes.

They may be the type of player that some would love on their team, but you have to have a high level of scum in you to constantly be sucker punching people, and making dirty hits.

Decent human beings don't really do that over and over. Maybe a couple times if they let their emotions get out of control, but not as often, or as calculated as how Perry does.

Not shocking at all that he get involved in an off ice incident in Chicago and they terminated his contract.

He's not a leader. He's just a vet who loses in the Cup Finals unless he has Pronger, Niedermayer, and Beauchemin patrolling his blue line with a prime JSG in net, and Getzlaf and Selanne up front.

I forget which coach it was but he basically said that in a locker room full of stars and leaders Perry was the best leader of men he has ever had.

Found it

There's articles all over about how Perry is loved by his team-mates and is one of the most respected guys in the league. We would be fortunate to have him.

Reactions: Balthazar

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sheer repetition of a point of view or trade proposal may convince some but others will quickly begin to ignore the poster's rant.

Should, but it doesn't prove to be true though.

Maybe more so with bad trade proposals, but not repetition of opinions, or view points. Not trying to get OT, but you can see this in many areas online, not just hockey.

It's a real issue, because we're still young in the social media age, and still getting used to deciphering bad information from good online, and good sources from bad.

Large numbers of people seem to gravitate toward the most vocal and most confident sounding, and that group include a lot of people who just don't know what they're talking about, and tend to be overly emotional, rather than rational or logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad