Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Part Deux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Zegras is obviously better for the long-term but I still think Lindholm is the way. IMO, he would give them a better chance to win it all this year than a one-dimensional center (we sure?) with zero playoff experience.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Zegras is obviously better for the long-term but I still think Lindholm is the way. IMO, he would give them a better chance to win it all this year than a one-dimensional center (we sure?) with zero playoff experience.
One gives ya a better shot this year marginally. The other buys the Avs a longer overall window.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont even know if Lindholm gives the Avs that much better of a shot this year.

It's insane how underrated Zegras is right now in this thread. I'm not even his biggest fan, but he'd be a fantastic 2C here for us this year, with the potential to be more than that in future year.

To me it isn't even close between the two in terms of fit for the Avs. Lindholm gives us a chance to win the cup this year, but then you either lose him in free agency in the summer and you're once again in the same position of needing a 2C.... Zegras would legit extend the window for this group by 2 more years. He and his contract would open the window for at least this year and next years playoff runs, possibly even the 3rd year after that depending on our cap situation with Mikko.

Just pay more in the one transaction to get Zegras, versus paying a less to get Lindholm for one year, and then having to pay more again next year for another 2C. In the long run I bet it would cost less for Zegras right now then it would cost the Avs to pay for Lindholm this year, pay for another 2C in 2025, and then possibly have to lay for  another 2C in 2026. And we get the best fit right away.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Toews doesn't block Byram on the powerplay except when Makar is out.

Manson having that little offensive run while lacking some forwards like Lehkonen made me wonder if we would see a 4 D powerplay unit for 30 seconds a game.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Well Byram kinda forced the Avs hand on the Toews contract by not being able to stay healthy and just not being that good the last two years. That and Toews has been the perfect partner for Makar while also being a great top pairing guy.

I don't think us resigning Toews had anything to do with Byram. We Resigned Toews because he is a top 5 Dman in the league and we got a sweetheart of a contract from him

Reactions: Foppa2118

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
As others have said here, if Byram’s play shows he’s better than Toews than I bet Bednar gives him that role. He hasn’t been close especially related to defensive play. If he believes he’s first pairing D easiest to get there is with your play. Show it to earn it.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
We’ve literally watched Drouin go from barely playing minutes/healthy scratched to being used as a top minute forward. And it was his play that dictated his usage.

Bednar will increase roles if the player earns those minutes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We’ve literally watched Drouin go from barely playing minutes/healthy scratched to being used as a top minute forward. And it was his play that dictated his usage.

Bednar will increase roles if the player earns those minutes.
Yup… if a player earns roles, he will give them. We’ve seen it directly which Byram too… when he’s rolling, he’s fed minutes.

My main concern with Lindholm is that he's quite the passenger, and he hasn't exactly thrived in the playoffs. I still think he'd be a good addition, particularly if it's meant to pair him with Nuke.
Yeah he’s clearly not a driver. Excellent at complimenting, but has shown zero ability to drive a line. Kadri has/had lots of faults, but he could drive a line. The old thought is that he was a one man 2nd line and could pull along guys to play at that level and one man show if he had to. Lindholm doesn’t seem to have that. If he’s with a driver, he can play very well and probably even be better than Kadri. Just if he doesn’t have that he kinda disappears.

Reactions: The Moops
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Yup… if a player earns roles, he will give them. We’ve seen it directly which Byram too… when he’s rolling, he’s fed minutes.

Yeah he’s clearly not a driver. Excellent at complimenting, but has shown zero ability to drive a line. Kadri has/had lots of faults, but he could drive a line. The old thought is that he was a one man 2nd line and could pull along guys to play at that level and one man show if he had to. Lindholm doesn’t seem to have that. If he’s with a driver, he can play very well and probably even be better than Kadri. Just if he doesn’t have that he kinda disappears.
It's why I'd be okay with him paired with Nuke, with the way Nuke is playing right now, or shake things up a bit and split Rants and MacK.

Drouin-MacKinnon-Nichushkin
Lehkonen-Lindholm-Rantanen

If that second line works out, get Elias to learn Finnish over the summer, sign him long-term and debut Liindhoolm for next year.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think it could work… my issue is I think Lindholm, to get the best out of him, requires a guy with creativity. Nuke for all his strengths is not creative.
I actually had a similar thought and was editing my post as you replied, haha. Get Lehky and Lindholm to do all the behind the scenes stuff and let Rants do his lazy dangles and hope for the best.

Oddly enough with the discussion re: Zegras or Lindholm, I feel like Zegras and Lindholm would be complimentary players so clearly we should trade for both.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I actually had a similar thought and was editing my post as you replied, haha. Get Lehky and Lindholm to do all the behind the scenes stuff and let Rants do his lazy dangles and hope for the best.

Oddly enough with the discussion re: Zegras or Lindholm, I feel like Zegras and Lindholm would be complimentary players so clearly we should trade for both.
Yeah I think Rants would have to be on the line with Lindholm.

Both would be a dream

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I really dont think that's true. I mean look around the league and what 3rd lines are playing 15-16 minutes a night, maybe you find a couple really good 3rd lines that get that ice time, but for most teams 15-16 minutes is basically 2nd line ice time. I think our bottom 6 is fine honestly. Actually I'd even go so far as to say its pretty good, when we're at full health anyways and LOC is a 4th line guy.

The problem is we have quite literally no 2nd line right now. RyJo has proven to be an absolute bomb of an acquisition, and due to Lehkys injury, you're basically asking the 3rd line to play as the 2nd line right now + Nuke/Drouin on the wing where you could honestly argue Drouin is probably more of a 3rd liner then a Top 6 guy as well. I think if the Avs could roll into game 1 of the playoffs with a bottom 6 of:

Wood - Colton - Drouin
Cogs - Olofsson - LOC
Kiviranta

That would be a solid Top 6 group... Kind of even resembling the 2022 Cup winning team where Colton replaces JTC and Drouin replaces Burakovsky and quite frankly Wood is probably an upgrade over Newhook/NAK on that 3rd line from that cup run.

Then you've still got 5/6 of the same Top 6 with Mack, Mikko, Lehky, Nuke, and Landy(Assuming he's back).

But they really need a 2C, the one piece on this current roster that simply hasn't even been somewhat replaced from that 2022 run, is Kadri and the 2C slot. Get someone to fill those shoes and I truly think we could be in business in the playoffs(Georgiev being the other significant concern currently).
To elaborate on why I think the 3rd line is a problem, it's because they don't have a big enough impact AND due to their salaries we can't afford a #2C, especially if Landy comes back. In a vacuum I love what they bring, the issue is that they can't be elevated in the lineup even temporary.

IMO, a $4 mil #3C that plays 12-13 minutes a night is a luxury, and one we can't afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad