Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Terry and Jones interview plus some of the best screenshots from the video.

IMG_1735.jpeg
IMG_1737.jpeg
IMG_1738.jpeg

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't really u derstand thse things too well. It seems to say he's good at defense and bad at offense?

It states he is very good at ES defensively, but average at offense and slightly below average on the PK. He basically is an upgrade to anyone named Shattenkirk, Beaulieu, Klingberg, Benoit. When it comes to playing defense.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
It states he is very good at ES defensively, but average at offense and slightly below average on the PK. He basically is an upgrade to anyone named Shattenkirk, Beaulieu, Klingberg, Benoit. When it comes to playing defense.
What's fowlers look like? He could be better than anyone we had last year. That being said I dont really take much head in defensive stats as usually they're just inferred good corsi numbers. If the other team has a bad corsi it means he is good at defense which I really just don't agree with that assertion.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What's fowlers look like? He could be better than anyone we had last year. That being said I dont really take much head in defensive stats as usually they're just inferred good corsi numbers. If the other team has a bad corsi it means he is good at defense which I really just don't agree with that assertion.
Here's Fowler over the same sample.

download (16).png

You can see Fowler is good at offense according to the numbers and his 5v5 defense is solid. The metrics really don't like his penalty killing for some reason.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

View attachment 735102

You can see Fowler is good at offense according to the numbers and his 5v5 defense is solid. The metrics really don't like his penalty killing for some reason.

Fowler should be limited with PK time, eventually taken off, but given the Ducks depth on D they need to use him there. But at least Shatty is gone. Fowler and Shatty both on the PK was brutal.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm kinda disappointed in Gudas' PK metrics. I thought his ES defensive metrics would translate, but it didn't. Could be why he's a 3rd pairing D for Florida and that Florida's forward group was the reason why they dominated on the ice. I mean, Mahura looked okay with Florida and Gudas.

I have a feeling we are going to see a Fowler and Gudas pairing, maybe the two ES metrics combined will translate to a solid pairing for them, I dunno.

Reactions: DavidBL

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I have a feeling we are going to see a Fowler and Gudas pairing, maybe the two ES metrics combined will translate to a solid pairing for them, I dunno.

As much as I want that to happen, I kinda doubt it'll be that if Drysale and LaCombe make the team. I want both youths with veteran D. That means splitting up Fowler and Gudas.

Fowler-Gudas
LaCombe-Drysdale
Hagg-White

That just feels disastrous to start the season.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
As much as I want that to happen, I kinda doubt it'll be that if Drysale and LaCombe make the team. I want both youths with veteran D. That means splitting up Fowler and Gudas.

Fowler-Gudas
LaCombe-Drysdale
Hagg-White

That just feels disastrous to start the season.

Stephens has mentioned that PV is still looking to add on defense and that's probably a partner for Drysdale. Gudas and Fowler are most likely playing together. My guess:

Fowler-Gudas
xxx-Drysdale
LaCombe-Hagg

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town

View attachment 735102

Hoof.

Considering his partners on the kill though, it doesn't surprise me. For what it's worth, I also don't remember a lot of instances where Fowler blew coverage or absolutely biffed it.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hoof.

Considering his partners on the kill though, it doesn't surprise me. For what it's worth, I also don't remember a lot of instances where Fowler blew coverage or absolutely biffed it.

Yeah Fowler is solid at ES on defense, but the PK has brought his defensive numbers way down.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah Fowler is solid at ES on defense, but the PK has brought his defensive numbers way down.

Players park in front of the goalie far more often on the PK. Fowler doesn't move, let alone clear, opposing players in front of our net. That's one of the significant factors why Fowler's defensive numbers are down on the PK.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Players park in front of the goalie far more often on the PK. Fowler doesn't move, let alone clear, opposing players in front of our net. That's one of the significant factors why Fowler's defensive numbers are down on the PK.

Yup exactly this.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
LaCombe isn’t going to be in the top 4.

I’m expecting a Kulikov type trade in the next few weeks.

Seeing that we don't have a proper top d-line and Fowler is our only top-4 defenseman, you're expecting another 3rd pairing D to play up in the lineup via trade. But that's what we have now, including LaCombe and Gudas.

Gudas ATOI last year: 17:22
Gudast ATOI career: 18:03

LaCombe's ATOI last year (two NHL games): 18:29
Helleson's ATOI last year (three NHL games): 13:39

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Seeing that we don't have a proper top d-line and Fowler is our only top-4 defenseman, you're expecting another 3rd pairing D to play up in the lineup via trade. But that's what we have now, including LaCombe and Gudas.

Gudas ATOI last year: 17:22
Gudast ATOI career: 18:03

LaCombe's ATOI last year (two NHL games): 18:29
Helleson's ATOI last year (three NHL games): 13:39
I like LaCombe, I just don’t think Cronin and Verbeek are going to roll with 2 kids in the top 4 (at least not right away). Someone like Forbort makes sense. Though I’d prefer Dillon if available.

In terms of time on ice, Gudas’ numbers will be higher in Anaheim than in Florida, in 23-24 anyway. I’m not necessarily saying that’s a good thing. It’s just where we are at as a team right now.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I like LaCombe, I just don’t think Cronin and Verbeek are going to roll with 2 kids in the top 4 (at least not right away). Someone like Forbort makes sense. Though I’d prefer Dillon if available.

In terms of time on ice, Gudas’ numbers will be higher in Anaheim than in Florida, in 23-24 anyway. I’m not necessarily saying that’s a good thing. It’s just where we are at as a team right now.
Agreed. I think they'd let a second kid fight their way into a top-4 spot but I don't think they'll give it to them off the bat.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Even as an analytics guy who loves his mobile D, I agree with this.

Penalty killing is inherently a state where you're going to have a 15% corsi. The mantra of "the best defense is having the puck" doesn't apply for defensemen (it sticks better for forwards - they can use their speed and your best weapon is a shorthanded goal). For defensemen, the best thing you can do is be strong and nasty.

Even Adam Fox, who's just sublime in every aspect of the game, isn't good at penalty killing because he's 5'8".

Gudas is a tad short but he's solid. He's like a big basketball.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Currently, it looks like two kids in the top-4 due to lack of talent on the blue line. And who's to say that LaCombe will the be the youth kicked out of the top-4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad