Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I doubt we are getting a top 4 D added to the roster. I would guess we might see a Kulikov-esque type addition as teams start to round out their rosters but its going to be a Rutta/Forbort type guy who is good enough for bottom pairing minutes and will likely see the revolving door that will be White/Hagg/AHL Guy #1/AHL Guy #2.

A lot is going to be asked of Fowler/Gudas/Drysdale
And that's not even factoring in when guys inevitably get hurt. Lacombe, Zellweger, Helleson, and Mintyukov will likely all see time just out of necessity unless Verbeek starts plucking off plugs from the waiver wire like he did with forwards last year.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
And that's not even factoring in when guys inevitably get hurt. Lacombe, Zellweger, Helleson, and Mintyukov will likely all see time just out of necessity unless Verbeek starts plucking off plugs from the waiver wire like he did with forwards last year.

Those were the guys I had in mind when I said AHL Guy #1 and #2. Im not sure they will be up all season or main stays, but there will be a rotation going.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Alright, I did a quick spreadsheet just to sort of see what kind of space we might be seeing in the next couple of years. Mostly, it's nice to see, based on what I think are reasonable expectations, what our free cap space will be.

I filled the lists out with more players contributing to the total than can be on the roster at any one time, but I think that also helps as it shows we've got plenty of space. This is not meant to be specifically accurate on total salary, but a basic practice to give an idea of our space.

Some assumptions:
- Expecting Rico, Silf, Hagg and White not to be on the roster after this season, due to trades, letting them walk, etc.
- I've thrown out guesses on salaries (text in blue) for some players not signed either this season or following. For example, I'm thinking Drys does a quick 2 year bridge, proves himself and gets paid more. I put Z at $7.8M, but a couple hundred K isn't going to make much of a difference. Assuming LaCombe makes the team out of camp, shows solid play and gets a reasonable bump.
- Indicated contract years in boxes...blue for RFA, red for UFA.
- I don't know what's going to happen w/ Regenda and various prospects down the line. I threw Gaucher and Pasta in there, but either or both of those could generally represent a prospect making the team at below $1M.
- This doesn't obviously account for some bigger trades/signings that could potentially happen. Again, I think seeing the potential cap space allows us to guess what we might be able to do in that realm.
- We could potentially save more by moving Gibby, but for now assuming he stays.

1691102764799.png

For me, the big questions are going to be what happens after 2025-26, regarding our total cap space and the D crunch. Gudas is likely gone, if they retain Cam he probably comes back at a lower cost, but we've got so many young kids, some of whom may need to be paid pretty well. Starting in 2026-27, Carlsson will need a good bump, and one of Minty or Zell (or maybe Luneau?) may show enough that they'll receive a nice payday. I don't think Hinds or Helleson will command more than a couple mil.

Anyway, thoughts?

Last edited:

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Jesus.... we get the worst career ending injuries and diseases... but on a positive note, doesn't that mean insurance pays his salary and our cap space is relieved of the 5.25 million?
LTIR doesn't relieve your team of the cap hit. It allows your team to exceed the Cap by the cap hit of the player you're placing on LTIR and only if you are actually at the cap already. Him going on LTIR for the Ducks probably does nothing for us outside of insurance paying his salary this year.

Reactions: cheesymc

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
As someone who has had multiple DVTs, it really depends on where the clot was and what the affects of the clot were. Also depends if it was a DVT, Arterial or superficial venous.

He could easily already be on bloodthinners or be put on a low dose and be completely fine. but if hes already on them and had another, they would need to up them or try something different.

I cant read the article, does it say anything about the severity, how it was found or anything else?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Poor guy. I would hope for his sake he retires now and takes it easy. A great duck he’s been!

Jesus.... we get the worst career ending injuries and diseases... but on a positive note, doesn't that mean insurance pays his salary and our cap space is relieved of the 5.25 million?

Um, he should be ready to go when the season starts.

• Love
Reactions: Hamilton Bulldogs

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Time to retire for Silfverberg. I’m on heavy blood thinners due to having open heart surgery. Playing contact sports ain’t it.

Wish him the best

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

Ok, then it shouldnt be that bad, and doesnt sound like it would be arterial. High dose blood thinners for a a month and then go down to a small dose like baby asprin. He shouldnt see any real side affects from that and long as they contain it.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
LTIR doesn't relieve your team of the cap hit. It allows your team to exceed the Cap by the cap hit of the player you're placing on LTIR and only if you are actually at the cap already. Him going on LTIR for the Ducks probably does nothing for us outside of insurance paying his salary this year.
Thanks for clarifying. A long term injury would be a dream scenario for our frugal organization. To stay above the cap floor while having insurance pay for an overpaid player. I hope this gives our young prospects some development time and PV doesn’t fill the opening with another 30+ year old soft waiver.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
He's going to have to go on blood thinners and that would be that. f***ing sucks

Edit: ah I see it was from trauma and he's going to be taken off of them, that's good.
I don't believe that for one bit. I'm not gonna get into details. But last year he had blood clots too. It's not from trauma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad