Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah, was hoping Verbeek went after a legit #4 guy, even if it cost us one of those 2nd round picks. Gudas getting over 20 mins is not going to be good.
Everyone keeps saying that Gudas getting top 4 minutes is bad… is this proven by the data ?

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017

Interesting seeing Drysdale in McDavid's (?) event. They're both Otters alumni tho. Jamie wearing an LA hat :laugh:

You can feel the McTavish's workout intensity through those pics.

It’s cool to see Rico with him too. Probably good for both of them lol

Reactions: Kalv
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Everyone keeps saying that Gudas getting top 4 minutes is bad… is this proven by the data ?
20 minutes is top pairing ice time, Gudas has never done that. He's had a couple of 19min/g seasons (which is close top top pairing ice time), the last being 6 years ago, but to be fair that was arguably his best season. Still, he's 33 now.

Anyway I don't think anyone has said that Gudas on the second pair is a bad thing. Even if it was it would have to be truly terrible for it not to be an improvement over last year's second pair. The point is that he doesn't belong on Fowler's pairing playing 25 a night.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
20 minutes is top pairing ice time, Gudas has never done that. He's had a couple of 19min/g seasons (which is close top top pairing ice time), the last being 6 years ago, but to be fair that was arguably his best season. Still, he's 33 now.

Anyway I don't think anyone has said that Gudas on the second pair is a bad thing. Even if it was it would have to be truly terrible for it not to be an improvement over last year's second pair. The point is that he doesn't belong on Fowler's pairing playing 25 a night.
We having more actual proven 4-6 d types, should make it easier to not have to rely so heavily on fowler… minutes can be spread out better maybe.

Reactions: lwvs84
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
We having more actual proven 4-6 d types, should make it easier to not have to rely so heavily on fowler… minutes can be spread out better maybe.
They can certainly be spread out more although it's hard to say whether it would be better. I don't think we'll be as bad as last year's historically terrible defensive team and Gudas (and Lyubushkin) will be part of that IMO. But I don't think we'll have the makings of an acceptable NHL defense until someone who can actually anchor a second D pair steps forward. The only guy we have who might have that ability is Drysdale IMO, although I may be selling Gudas short.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

He's never averaged over 20 mins a season in his career. At 33yo now, to give him Top pairing mins, doesn't seem wise. Should keep him more around 18-19 mins.

@The Midnight Burrito said it best. I have no issues with him on a 2nd pairing but who will play with Fowler? Drysdale? Not sure how I feel about that one.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Fowler shouldn't play at all on the PK, that would reduce his minutes without affecting his 5 on 5 time.
That would be ideal, but you need at least 4 (probably 5) defensemen who can play on the PK and Drysdale definitely shouldn't yet. And if LaCombe makes it, he probably shouldn't yet either. Fowler will likely be a PK player for us until he leaves/retires.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
That would be ideal, but you need at least 4 (probably 5) defensemen who can play on the PK and Drysdale definitely shouldn't yet. And if LaCombe makes it, he probably shouldn't yet either. Fowler will likely be a PK player for us until he leaves/retires.
Definitely ideal to not rely on fowler for pk duties. That’s for sure, killorn is supposed to be a really good pk player himself. Guys like Jones need to step up in that department too

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Most of our major PKers from last season are gone, including mainstays in Benoit, Beaulieu and Kulikov (the top 3 D PK minute-getters), as well as Grant and Lundy. Only Cam, Silf and Henrique are returning from the top 10 guys (excluding Groulx, who only played 2 games). Shatty and Megna are gone, too. The PK is going to look completely different.

Last edited:

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Most of our major PKers from last season are gone, including mainstays in Benoit, Beaulieu and Kulikov (the top 3 D PK minute-getters), as well as Grant and Lundy. Only Cam, Silf and Henrique are returning from the top the top 10 guys (excluding Groulx, who only played 2 games). Shatty and Megna are gone, too. The PK is going to look completely different.
I guess my main concern at the moment is who is our top LHD PK option? Unless Hagg is a regular in the lineup, it would have to be Fowler (it could be Fowler even if Hagg is a regular). Maybe if Vaak regains form then it could be him, but I don't have my hopes up for that. That's why a guy like Forbort would fit well.

EDIT: Maatta could be another option. Detroit has a lot of defensemen now that they acquired Petry. Though Maatta would probably cost a bit more than Forbort because Detroit doesn't need the cap space as much, and Maatta also has an extra year on his deal.

Last edited:

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I guess my main concern at the moment is who is our top LHD PK option? Unless Hagg is a regular in the lineup, it would have to be Fowler (it could be Fowler even if Hagg is a regular). Maybe if Vaak regains form then it could be him, but I don't have my hopes up for that. That's why a guy like Forbort would fit well.
Forbert or similar larger top 4 dman who can kill penalties would just round us out so well. Have to think said player will be added.

Reactions: lwvs84
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
giphy.gif

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Most of our major PKers from last season are gone, including mainstays in Benoit, Beaulieu and Kulikov (the top 3 D PK minute-getters), as well as Grant and Lundy. Only Cam, Silf and Henrique are returning from the top 10 guys (excluding Groulx, who only played 2 games). Shatty and Megna are gone, too. The PK is going to look completely different.

I've said this in the other threads. Killorn is an excellent PK'er. So that should help as well.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I've been thinking this as well. The current D roster is reaaaly sus :laugh: There is Fowler and then 3rd pair guys or unproven ones (including Drysdale who missed a year).

However, I am liking the balance of that roster waaaay much than last year. I was pretty open of how sceptical I was of having Drysdale, Kling, Shatt, Fowler, Vaaks on the same blueline. Womans soccer team could bully that.

While I don't see much improvement in personell, I see a much better balance and that's fine

Reactions: DavidBL

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Is this realistic? (Zegras, pick and a poor prospect, Vaakanainen etc for Sergachev)

Adam Killorn - Mason McTavish - Troy Terry
Adam Henrique - Ryan Strome - Frank Vatrano
Brock McGinn - Leo Carlsson - Jacob Perreault
Max Jones - Sam Carrick - Jakob Silfverberg
Isac Lundeström - Brett Leason

Sergachev - Lyubushkin
Fowler - Drysdale
Hägg - Gudas
LaCombe - Helleson

John Gibson

• Wow
Reactions: ohcomeonref

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Is this realistic? (Zegras, pick and a poor prospect, Vaakanainen etc for Sergachev)

Sergachev - Lyubushkin
Fowler - Drysdale
Hägg - Gudas
LaCombe - Helleson

John Gibson
Ducks have far too much LD prospect depth to spend a real assets to acquire a LD. Especially if you're looking for Z which is realistically a non starter.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Sergachev - Lyubushkin
Fowler - Drysdale
Hägg - Gudas
LaCombe - Helleson

John Gibson

no.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Fowler-Gudas
LaCombe-Lyubushkin
Hagg-Drysdale
White

Vaak to waivers

More development time for the rest of the kids. Minty, Zell, Hinds, Helleson.

This is what I expect the defense to be as well. Sadly, that's an improvement from last year. Still pretty bad though. I don't think Vaak will be waived. I would guess it will be White who is waived.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDonald19

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

Sergachev - Lyubushkin
Fowler - Drysdale
Hägg - Gudas
LaCombe - Helleson

John Gibson
Trade a position of weakness for a position of strength?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad