Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Hope you're right!

Are your centers your weakness??

Anyways, one great defender to this team and you look quite good!
Our weakness would be impact forwards. Pretty much all our top forward prospects are already on the team and establishing themselves while on D we have like 4-6 prospects that have legit chances at NHL futures and the top 2 being LD. Seems PV is content for those D prospects to arrive on the team.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Hope you're right!

Are your centers your weakness??

Anyways, one great defender to this team and you look quite good!
Forward in general. Outside of Carlsson the Ducks don't really have potential top line guys in the system.

Where the Ducks have 3/4 potential top pairing defensemen in the system.
That forward group looks pretty bad. Strome is not a top 6 center.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
Forward in general. Outside of Carlsson the Ducks don't really have potential top line guys in the system.

Where the Ducks have 3/4 potential top pairing defensemen in the system.
That forward group looks pretty bad. Strome is not a top 6 center.
You don’t consider Zegras, Terry, and MacTavish potential top line guys?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not sure how you're getting LaCombe on the PP (or on the team for that matter). Pretty sure Drysdale and Fowler would both be ahead of him, not to mention Zellweger or Mintyukov if they make the Ducks. The final two games last year have zero relevance to the lineup Cronin ices. Different coach, different roster.

Thanks for not answering the question on who will be playing PK on the left side. I appreciate the effort to miss the forest from the trees.

I don't comprehend why LaCombe doesn't get love. He's 6'2 and 201 lbs. He's got a great NCAA career under his belt, both offensively and defensively. Always top-3 in blocked shots on the team and finished as the 4th best NCAA scorer for defensemen last year. LaCombe's also a great skater. He was a great skater when we drafted him and, four years later, new GM PV raves about his skating. His two-game NHL preview was great as LaCombe displayed what he's developed in his past four seasons in college, including playing on the PP2 unit.

Let's breakdown your tangent inquiry.

=== Who's defensively better today between LaCombe, Minty, and Zell? ===

LaCombe is defensively better today. We already have had GM PV state that both Minty and Zell need to work on their defensive structures halfway through the season and after the season (McIlvane's presser).

PV on Minty and Zell at the halfway mark of the season:​
As I just mentioned with Pavel, these offensive guys I'm not worried about it because, while they can get away with this stuff in junior, they're smart enough and dedicated enough to really work at their game defensively. Olen's the same thing. He's going to have to put a lot more structure into his defensive game.
PV on LaCombe:
Those two guys [LaCombe and Thrun] have played really well this year. With [Lacombe], the college game is really easy for him. I mean, he's an excellent skater. He's moving up the ice, but no one can catch him. That's how strong a skater he is.

LaCombe has the better track to the NHL than Minty and Zell right now, that's the PV has shared. I have shared PV's view on Minty and Zell's need for defensive structure growth many times before. This info should not be unknown.

Defensively, LaCombe's two-game stint was a great preview of his game at the NHL level. He led the defense in blocked shots in both games, earning 3 BS in his first game and 6 BS in his second game. The highest BS for a defenseman after LaCombe in both games was 2 BS. For all four years in the NCAA, LaCombe has been one of the top shot blockers on his team. (See chart below.)

Lacombe
SeasonLeagueGamesGAPtsPPG+/-Block ShotsTeam Rank
D+1NCAA
37​
3​
10​
13​
0.35​
-1​
61​
2nd
D+2NCAA
27​
4​
17​
21​
0.78​
19​
33​
3rd
D+3NCAA
39​
3​
27​
30​
0.77​
23​
64​
1st
D+4NCAA
37​
9​
26​
35​
0.95​
12​
53​
3rd
NHL
2​
0​
0​
0​
0.00​
-1​
9​
n/a
Total.
142​
19​
80​
99​
0.70​
52​
220​

Also at the NHL level, LaCombe was playing over 18 mins a game; for comparison, fellow prospect D Helleson was playing over 13 mins a game. Apparently, there is a hierarchy in talent with the prospects.

Back to college, LaCombe finished 4th best defensive scorer last year. Apparently, he isn't inept offensively.

Of course, if you're basing Minty's Dev camp 3v3 exhibition as a reason for increased probability, then it negates your criticism on LaCombe's two NHL game experience.

=== Which defensemen will be or could be on the PP? ===

We can exclude Gudas, Lyubushkin, Hagg, and Vaaks. That would leave us with Fowler, Drysdale, White, and rookie LaCombe. White and Hagg maybe rotating as 6D. Right now, the only known quantity is Fowler. Drysdale's missed a whole season. LaCombe's only played two games, but was a part of the PP2 unit in both games.

PP1: Zegras, Rico, McTavish, Terry, and Fowler
PP2: Strome, Vatrano, Killorn, .... LaCombe and Drysdale

We have played with two D-men on the PP2 unit before. LaCombe did it with Shatty last year, where we witnessed LaCombe walk the blueline with ease.

=== New coaches, different roster ===

The different roster aspect is why I inquired about who will play LD on the PK2 unit. Anyhow, I addressed the PP roster above.

As for new coaches, we still have the same PP coach in Brown and rover coach in Johnson. We also have the same GM. I addressed what our GM has already stated about young defensemen above.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Thanks for not answering the question on who will be playing PK on the left side. I appreciate the effort to miss the forest from the trees.

I don't comprehend why LaCombe doesn't get love. He's 6'2 and 201 lbs. He's got a great NCAA career under his belt, both offensively and defensively. Always top-3 in blocked shots on the team and finished as the 4th best NCAA scorer for defensemen last year. LaCombe's also a great skater. He was a great skater when we drafted him and, four years later, new GM PV raves about his skating. His two-game NHL preview was great as LaCombe displayed what he's developed in his past four seasons in college, including playing on the PP2 unit.

Let's breakdown your tangent inquiry.

=== Who's defensively better today between LaCombe, Minty, and Zell? ===

LaCombe is defensively better today. We already have had GM PV state that both Minty and Zell need to work on their defensive structures halfway through the season and after the season (McIlvane's presser).

PV on Minty and Zell at the halfway mark of the season:​
As I just mentioned with Pavel, these offensive guys I'm not worried about it because, while they can get away with this stuff in junior, they're smart enough and dedicated enough to really work at their game defensively. Olen's the same thing. He's going to have to put a lot more structure into his defensive game.
PV on LaCombe:
Those two guys [LaCombe and Thrun] have played really well this year. With [Lacombe], the college game is really easy for him. I mean, he's an excellent skater. He's moving up the ice, but no one can catch him. That's how strong a skater he is.

LaCombe has the better track to the NHL than Minty and Zell right now, that's the PV has shared. I have shared PV's view on Minty and Zell's need for defensive structure growth many times before. This info should not be unknown.

Defensively, LaCombe's two-game stint was a great preview of his game at the NHL level. He led the defense in blocked shots in both games, earning 3 BS in his first game and 6 BS in his second game. The highest BS for a defenseman after LaCombe in both games was 2 BS. For all four years in the NCAA, LaCombe has been one of the top shot blockers on his team. (See chart below.)

Lacombe
SeasonLeagueGamesGAPtsPPG+/-Block ShotsTeam Rank
D+1NCAA
37​
3​
10​
13​
0.35​
-1​
61​
2nd
D+2NCAA
27​
4​
17​
21​
0.78​
19​
33​
3rd
D+3NCAA
39​
3​
27​
30​
0.77​
23​
64​
1st
D+4NCAA
37​
9​
26​
35​
0.95​
12​
53​
3rd
NHL
2​
0​
0​
0​
0.00​
-1​
9​
n/a
Total.
142​
19​
80​
99​
0.70​
52​
220​

Also at the NHL level, LaCombe was playing over 18 mins a game; for comparison, fellow prospect D Helleson was playing over 13 mins a game. Apparently, there is a hierarchy in talent with the prospects.

Back to college, LaCombe finished 4th best defensive scorer last year. Apparently, he isn't inept offensively.

Of course, if you're basing Minty's Dev camp 3v3 exhibition as a reason for increased probability, then it negates your criticism on LaCombe's two NHL game experience.

=== Which defensemen will be or could be on the PP? ===

We can exclude Gudas, Lyubushkin, Hagg, and Vaaks. That would leave us with Fowler, Drysdale, White, and rookie LaCombe. White and Hagg maybe rotating as 6D. Right now, the only known quantity is Fowler. Drysdale's missed a whole season. LaCombe's only played two games, but was a part of the PP2 unit in both games.

PP1: Zegras, Rico, McTavish, Terry, and Fowler
PP2: Strome, Vatrano, Killorn, .... LaCombe and Drysdale

We have played with two D-men on the PP2 unit before. LaCombe did it with Shatty last year, where we witnessed LaCombe walk the blueline with ease.

=== New coaches, different roster ===

The different roster aspect is why I inquired about who will play LD on the PK2 unit. Anyhow, I addressed the PP roster above.

As for new coaches, we still have the same PP coach in Brown and rover coach in Johnson. We also have the same GM. I addressed what our GM has already stated about young defensemen above.
I was responding to your contention that LaCombe would be on the PP. That's all. You tried to divert my question onto another topic. Nice try. I think LaCombe has an opportunity to be on the 2nd PP unit, but it isn't going to be given to him. When Zellweger and Mintyukov are ready for the NHL, they will be the guys at the point. Who's to say that won't be this season?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I was responding to your contention that LaCombe would be on the PP. That's all. You tried to divert my question onto another topic. Nice try. I think LaCombe has an opportunity to be on the 2nd PP unit, but it isn't going to be given to him. When Zellweger and Mintyukov are ready for the NHL, they will be the guys at the point. Who's to say that won't be this season?
They also have to unseat both Fowler and Drysdale. The second unit could possibly run 3 forward 2 D but it hasn't really been the trend.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
They also have to unseat both Fowler and Drysdale. The second unit could possibly run 3 forward 2 D but it hasn't really been the trend.
I don't think "trend" should be a thing anymore. Cronin isn't Eakins. I don't expect him to make the same personnel decisions. I feel like it's a blank slate.

Reactions: Kalv

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I don't think "trend" should be a thing anymore. Cronin isn't Eakins. I don't expect him to make the same personnel decisions. I feel like it's a blank slate.
That's probably fair. But in general the NHL has been going with 4f and 1 d for awhile now. Not just Eakins. I'd expect those spots are Fowlers and Drysdales to lose.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
That's probably fair. But in general the NHL has been going with 4f and 1 d for awhile now. Not just Eakins. I'd expect those spots are Fowlers and Drysdales to lose.
I like the 4F 1D unless your D are dynamic. In a couple of years Ducks may be running 3F 2D on both units.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Anyone interested in having Terry, Zegras, and McTavish on the same line? If Carlsson looks like he could play this season, could be interesting:

Zegras-McTavish-Terry
Henrique-Carlsson-Killorn

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Anyone interested in having Terry, Zegras, and McTavish on the same line? If Carlsson looks like he could play this season, could be interesting:

Zegras-McTavish-Terry
Henrique-Carlsson-Killorn
Would be my preference like this, the kids can handle top line duties, while Carlsson can develop with some responsible vets next to him. All of this obviously depends if he’s able to handle the NHL at this point.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Let's see how it holds up after the first 20 minutes of the season. :D

Just read the main threads, any optimism will be shot down by other fans, who have us dead last again next year, or at least last in the division. So yup.

I mean if we are not better than at least the Sharks next season, this rebuild is not going well. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad