Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Newhook seems like he could bust in a year or two. Can't produce on a stacked team. Steel couldn't produce on a crappy team.

Byram if he keeps getting hurt he's gonna lose effectiveness.
Fantilli most likely scores more in NHL next year than Newhook.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Our need for another top 6 player is much higher than our need for Byram. As someone else mentioned the injury history isnt exactly appealing.

We have plenty of dmen coming up, we lack forwards.

Newhook doesnt move the needle at all, hes sam steel level of a player.... and we let sam steel walk for free.
Thank you for the insight!

What about a player like Rantanen?

aqsw

PM
Sponsor
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
Lotta rumors on Gibson. I think if u get a good return, go for it. Is Dostal ready?
From a fan that doesn't follow enough, but wow I love your future.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Lotta rumors on Gibson. I think if u get a good return, go for it. Is Dostal ready?

Dostal is ready for NHL, but prob not ready to take over.

We’d need a stop gap goalie for sure if we move gibson.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Most of the informed voices around here are probably as tired as I am about this, but I'll keep piping up for those that need to hear it:

1. Verbeek is on record just two months ago saying "I'm not considering moving John Gibson. I've actually sat down and had a conversation with him about this."

2. Gibson and his agent publicly denounced any rumors of requesting a trade out of Anaheim last off-season.

3. Elliot Friedman is guilty of peddling bullshit (re: Gibson wants out of Anaheim) and the media outlets around the league lap it up and puke it out like a kitty at dinner time.

4. Anyone pretending to infer anything from a goalie's body language is no better than the nimrods claiming to know what Troy Stecher said by reading his lips.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for the insight!

What about a player like Rantanen?
Sure to contract, our time-line, and position ( Fantilli/Carlsson will probably be better playoff centers than Z), I don't think the Ducks would do that. Having the versatility of 3 guys that can play top 6 C could be huge in the future too.

I'm not sure if Gibson would get a good return right now. Teams would lowball because of the last few seasons (and they should) because his numbers have been bad. I'd rather keep him and see what he can do with a coach that has a defensive system and (hopefully) a better defense in front of him. It'll also give Dostal a full year in the NHL and see if he's ready. If Gibson pays well this year and Dostal shows he's ready to be given a full time shot, next summer might be a better time to look at trades for Gibson.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Making Dostal the guy behind one of the worst d's in the league is a questionable idea.
Idk why it’s always a pre assumption that we won’t find a stop gap goalie.

Obviously only reason to move gibson is if he has value…. Plenty of mid tier goalies to pick up as stop gap until dostal is ready to be the guy

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

Obviously only reason to move gibson is if he has value…. Plenty of mid tier goalies to pick up as stop gap until dostal is ready to be the guy

To this point, if there's a good deal to be had for Gibby then I think he'd be traded. You can find a 2 year stop gap to split time with Dostal as they wait for him to prove he can be a #1. Still doesn't make sense to trade Gibby for an "overpayment" though unless he becomes toxic to the up and coming team.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022

Gibson has little value at this point. You might get a mid second for him? Considering Verbeek has been absolutely destroyed in every trade he's made, it would likely be a third and some meh prospect. How many prospects do the ducks need? Theres only 4 lines and 3 d pairs. Give me a vet goalie that can push Dostal over overfilling the cupboards

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Gibson has little value at this point. You might get a mid second for him? Considering Verbeek has been absolutely destroyed in every trade he's made, it would likely be a third and some meh prospect. How many prospects do the ducks need? Theres only 4 lines and 3 d pairs. Give me a vet goalie that can push Dostal over overfilling the cupboards
Assets can be used for other things than just drafting.

We don’t actually know gibsons value with gms league wide, and we have plenty of assets/cap space to make a trade worth more in our favor, just need to be a little creative.

I’d rather see gibson get a chance to win, as we’ve basically wasted his prime…. And by the time we’re good again he’s going to be worn out from over usage in meaningless game and at the end of his career .

Reactions: duckpuck

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

We don’t actually know gibsons value with gms league wide, and we have plenty of assets/cap space to make a trade worth more in our favor, just need to be a little creative.

I’d rather see gibson get a chance to win, as we’ve basically wasted his prime…. And by the time we’re good again he’s going to be worn out from over usage in meaningless game and at the end of his career .
No one is going to give us what we want for Gibson.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022

I'd like to think this team gives Gibson that chance since hes only 30. One would hope that Dostal can carry some of the load and that a competent head coach could maybe help the team not give up 50 shots a game. When this core gets to the playoffs, you'll want a goalie like Gibson to help you win a series or even be there to go in for Dostal. Look at this years playoffs, every team is using multiple goalies. How close the Ducks are to making the playoffs will depend on the progress of the kids and the off season moves that are done. I think it gives the team a bad vibe when you trade your elite goalie and replace him with some jank goalie like Jones, Jarry, Reimer or any other of the undesirables that would be a stop gap.

The return for Lindholm was incredibly underwhelming and the Ducks would be fortune to get half of that for Gibson. Seems like making a trade for the sake of it.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just wanted to share…thanks @Machinehead

IMG_4331.jpeg

He really should not be with Zegras next season.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He shouldn't have even been signed, especially to a ridiculous 5 year contract.

We don’t need the cap, and think he will be good on a 3rd line with some skill and better coaching. He did hit 40 points which is at least not bad considering.

The idea is to have him and Vatrano in the bottom 6 providing some depth as we fill the Top with young players and legit Top 6/top line vets by either trade or FA, but not until we are ready to contend again of course.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Just wanted to share…thanks @Machinehead

View attachment 711552

He really should not be with Zegras next season.
You can see the blue bars there: he's still good at even strength offense. That's a huge asset.

What he's bad at, he's really bad at. He can be positive player but he needs to be in the right setup.

He worked well with Panarin because Panarin is low-key pretty good at defense. Always was. He has holes but that's not one of them. The Rangers also usually had a defensively responsible player at RW.

That's not something you want to put on the shoulders of Zegras.

He's a good soldier and I think his leadership will be valued on a young team. It's not for lack of trying, he just sucks at certain things. I would put him on a line with checkers.

I think he spent time with Vatrano too, right? That's like taking the two troublemakers in class and having them work together.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You can see the blue bars there: he's still good at even strength offense. That's a huge asset.

What he's bad at, he's really bad at. He can be positive player but he needs to be in the right setup.

He worked well with Panarin because Panarin is low-key pretty good at defense. Always was. He has holes but that's not one of them. The Rangers also usually had a defensively responsible player at RW.

That's not something you want to put on the shoulders of Zegras.

He's a good soldier and I think his leadership will be valued on a young team. It's not for lack of trying, he just sucks at certain things. I would put him on a line with checkers.

I think he spent time with Vatrano too, right? That's like taking the two troublemakers in class and having them work together.
8A0B21DA-5009-408E-9F01-4CDCD5EA91AD.gif

Hey
Dylan McIlrath

Just messing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad