Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
What RWs would you guys want to add this summer? I'm generally against guys playing their off wing but it's more manageable but I think we only have like 3 RS forwards. Terry, Stome and Silf.

I mentioned it the other day but I think Killorn makes some sense. Probably only a 2-3 year contract somewhere between 5-6 per year. Solid veteran, won't block anyone, good defensively, top 6 scorer.

Henrique-McTavish-Terry
Zegras-Fantilli-Killorn

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I mentioned it the other day but I think Killorn makes some sense. Probably only a 2-3 year contract somewhere between 5-6 per year. Solid veteran, won't block anyone, good defensively, top 6 scorer.

Henrique-McTavish-Terry
Zegras-Fantilli-Killorn
Wouldn't be shocking seeing as they were after palat last off-season.

Reactions: Hey234

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I mean, is Max worth a 2.4M QO? Honestly I don't know and that's a genuine question from me.

He hasn't earned it, would essentially be paying (twice his worth or more) for potential.

There is the possibility that he becomes a 2.5M player or more, but the likelihood of that happening is directly tied to fitness and consistency of effort. Hard to say if that ever clicks.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I have a question. Assuming we draft Fantilli (but the same could also apply to Carlsson) what would you say the odds are that we:

A. Convert a player to wing and run pairs on 2 top lines.
B. Run 3 centers in Zegras, McTavish and Fantilli.
C. Convert a player to wing and load 3 of them on the top line.

I think C is much less likely, but I included it to cover all the bases.

I would guess A=60%, B=35% and C=5%. Thoughts?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I have a question. Assuming we draft Fantilli (but the same could also apply to Carlsson) what would you say the odds are that we:

"A" makes the most sense. Either Z or Fantili/Carlsson play wing most likely. Imo.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Either Z or Fantilli goes to wing. Hmmm...

Rico-Z-Terry
Fantilli-McTavish-xxx (stroke or vatrano)

McTavish and Terry have no chemistry, but Z and Terry do. Fantilli can start off at wing and be that uber-pest. Z started off at wing and then transitioned to center. McTavish also started off at wing and then transitioned to center.

This way we have a pairing of playmaker and hero puck player on both lines. McTavish gets the type of puck hound winger like he had with Hamilton in Ryan Winterton, but much better than Winterton.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I personally think Zegras doesn't have the makeup to be a center. I just don't feel he is that invested in being defensively responsible the way MacTavish and Fantilli are. I feel they are our top 2 centers of the future so that Terry and Zegras can focus purely on offense.

I do want to see what Fantilli and Zegras can do together. Their speed and playmaking ability with a finisher would be super exciting to watch. The biggest issue with this is that our only top 6 forwards with R shots are Strome and Terry. I don't like the idea of overloading the top line with our best talents, especially on the road. So, without any moves I see our best option as:

Zegras Fantilli Strome
MacTavish Henrique Terry
Vatrano Lundy Silf
Jones/Carrick/Nesterenko/Leason/McGinn

I'm actually disappointed to hear MacTavish and Terry don't have any chemistry because I was hoping that they would work so well between 2 way veteran like Strome or Henrique.

If we can make a move for a Top6 Forward, buyout/trade Silf, I would then run:

Zegras Fantilli Top6 RW
Vatrano MacTavish Terry
Henrique Lundy Strome

Reactions: Leonardo87 and Kalv

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I personally think Zegras doesn't have the makeup to be a center. I just don't feel he is that invested in being defensively responsible the way MacTavish and Fantilli are. I feel they are our top 2 centers of the future so that Terry and Zegras can focus purely on offense.

I do want to see what Fantilli and Zegras can do together. Their speed and playmaking ability with a finisher would be super exciting to watch. The biggest issue with this is that our only top 6 forwards with R shots are Strome and Terry. I don't like the idea of overloading the top line with our best talents, especially on the road. So, without any moves I see our best option as:

Zegras Fantilli Strome
MacTavish Henrique Terry
Vatrano Lundy Silf

I'm actually disappointed to hear MacTavish and Terry don't have any chemistry because I was hoping that they would work so well between 2 way veteran like Strome or Henrique.

If we can make a move for a Top6 Forward, buyout/trade Silf, I would then run:

Zegras Fantilli Top6 RW
Vatrano MacTavish Terry
Henrique Lundy Strome
Your first sentence is so interesting to me because, in my opinion, Zegras looked much more active defensively than McTavish.

Which is partially understandable considering McTavish is a rookie and probably exhausted from too much hockey, but still. Zegras completely changed my mind about his defensive abilities this season.

Reactions: DavidBL

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Your first sentence is so interesting to me because, in my opinion, Zegras looked much more active defensively than McTavish.

Which is partially understandable considering McTavish is a rookie and probably exhausted from too much hockey, but still. Zegras completely changed my mind about his defensive abilities this season.

I think Zegras only looks more active defensively than McTavish because Z will chase to re-gain possession but it seems BigMac defends by positioning himself to block plays. More of a philosophy difference than an effort difference I think.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
A lot of people are mentioning how Terry and McTavish never developed chemistry, what about (if/when Fantilli moves to C and Zegras to wing) rolling something like:
Zegras-McTavish-??? (Nesterenko/Jones/FA/Prospect?)
Henrique-Fantilli-Terry (Henrique is a place holder until we develop/get someone better)

We're essentially getting role players for that last spot on each of the top two lines. While we are still rebuilding, we should try different styles of players in that 3rd spot on each line (and shuffle wingers around) to see what works. Even if guys like Jones, Nesterenko, Comtois aren't long term solutions, we can see what style of player we should target based on how each player performs relative to each other.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I think Zegras only looks more active defensively than McTavish because Z will chase to re-gain possession but it seems BigMac defends by positioning himself to block plays. More of a philosophy difference than an effort difference I think.
For sure. I think they both play to their strengths, which is great. I also think McTavish's style will be more effective when we have a better defense lol

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I kind of like this as a potential top 6. Zegras and McT can switch spots as needed and so can Henrique/Fantilli:

Zegras-McTavish-Vatrano
Henrique-Fantilli-Terry

1st Line: Zegras gets two legit goal scorers to feed the puck to, while letting McTavish take the heavy lifting on defense.

2nd Line: I really want Fantilli and Terry to play together as I think stylistically and in terms of pace they really pair well together. Henrique will be a great linemate for a rookie center and he can keep up with Terry and Fantilli.

Reactions: lwvs84

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Fantilli goes right to the NHL, will likely start on wing, can see opening night…

Henrique - Zegras - Terry
Fantilli - McTavish - Strome
Jones - Lundy - Vatrano

Strome gives some vet presence, isn’t the best on defensive but is willing to stick up for the kids. Strome will have someone to open up space for him and be the secondary distributor after Fantilli speeds into the offense zone.

Eventually, Fantilli should be paired with Zegras , but won’t happen right out of the gate. I also would not be shocked if Fantilli starts at 3LW. No
Reason to throw the kid into a Top 6 role, let him earn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad