Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I worry about zegras on the wing. When he did play there last season he was noticeably worse

Thats what concerns me a bit too but between him and McT, I think Zegras fits the winger role better and I dont like the idea of pushing McT tot he 3rd line center role and Gaucher to 4th C. You would imagine someone has to convert.

Zegras will also have more support on the wing than he did before.

If the pick is Carlsson for some reason, then this could become moot, Carlsson has been playing wing more so its possible then that Z could stay at center.

I agree, but I think that had to do with us not having a strong center to play with him. It was usually Strome.

Fantilli or McT as his center could absolutely make a difference

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I'm still not quite sure why Zegras is seen as a C. WIth the way NHL systems work these days, there's tons of rotation and the lines are pretty blurry between the positions, but the main things a C does is take faceoffs and have more defensive responsibility. Neither of which are things that Zegras excels at. If you just want him up the middle on rushes, send him up the middle on rushes. He doesn't need to play C to do that.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
giphy.gif

Beat me to it!

I'm still not quite sure why Zegras is seen as a C. WIth the way NHL systems work these days, there's tons of rotation and the lines are pretty blurry between the positions, but the main things a C does is take faceoffs and have more defensive responsibility. Neither of which are things that Zegras excels at. If you just want him up the middle on rushes, send him up the middle on rushes. He doesn't need to play C to do that.
Because he's performed better as a C so far. I agree with the rest of your point though.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do people not notice that even when Zegras is listed at center he often isn’t playing it in his own end? I’d guess he’s mostly played as much as he did out of necessity but I don’t think that necessity is there anymore.

Strome or Henrique have pretty much taken face offs for him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Do people not notice that even when Zegras is listed at center he often isn’t playing it in his own end? I’d guess he’s mostly played as much as he did out of necessity but I don’t think that necessity is there anymore.

What's funny is that describes Will Smith to a T, but he is able to thrive b/c his wingers are doing the dirty work in Leonard and Perreault. It's possible, Z could remain at center and have Fantilli and Terry working it down low. Otherwise, Z can reprise his winger role like at the WJC-20 and Turcotte was his center. Z and Fantilli need to be together b/c they complement each other so well - Z's the offensive wizard and Fantilli's the ferocious guard dog that's blazing fast and relentless.

McTavish is the probably the one that stays put at center.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Would love to see us get Boeser. I thinkbhes primed for a rebound year.
Debrusk would be a great fit, or Tyler bertuzzi… don’t care for the boeser fit

Debrusk mctavish zegras
Henrique fantilli terry
Strome lundy vatrano

Eventually move Henrique move vatrano up, and move Jones to 3rd line.

Debrusk mctavish zegras
Vatrano fantilli terry
Jones Lundy strome

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Debrusk would be a great fit, or Tyler bertuzzi… don’t care for the boeser fit

Debrusk mctavish zegras
Henrique fantilli terry
Strome lundy vatrano

Eventually move Henrique move vatrano up, and move Jones to 3rd line.

Debrusk mctavish zegras
Vatrano fantilli terry
Jones Lundy strome
I don't mind debrusk but I imagine Boston will try to move Hall first. Burtuzzi is hurt too much to invest the money he'll want. Style wise though hes perfect. Not sure why you don't like Boeser, in a down year he still put up like 55 pts. Yes he's not overly physical but if he can be had cheap he's young and can put up points and he amhas short term. If we don't like the fit we can move on and recoup assets.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't mind debrusk but I imagine Boston will try to move Hall first. Burtuzzi is hurt too much to invest the money he'll want. Style wise though hes perfect. Not sure why you don't like Boeser, in a down year he still put up like 55 pts. Yes he's not overly physical but if he can be had cheap he's young and can put up points and he amhas short term. If we don't like the fit we can move on and recoup assets.
I don’t like his fit stylistically with what we already had. Would be like adding William nylander lite

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Would love to see us get Boeser. I thinkbhes primed for a rebound year.
2 year contract and then he's a UFA. We will not be spending assets to get him after we finished last, and with next season's performance also in question (highly likely no playoffs again)

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
2 year contract and then he's a UFA. We will not be spending assets to get him after we finished last, and with next season's performance also in question (highly likely no playoffs again)
It certainly depends on the price. I wouldn't trade a first or anything. I actually think the contract is a bonus. He has another year so he ki d if replaces Rico after next year. If he's good we can resign him if he's not we can trade him at the next TDL and recoup assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad