Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

Garrioch is muckraking again.

Anaheim Ducks GM Pat Verbeek is open for business with his club in a full rebuild.

The organization would like to get the contract of veteran John Gibson off the books because he has four years left with a cap hit of $6.4 million (all figures U.S.) per-season through 2026-27.

The 29-year-old Gibson had a tough year with a 3.99 goals-against average and an .899 save percentage. There is talk he’d like to be moved to a contender and the Senators are on the verge of something special.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Garrioch is muckraking again.
Jesus, why does these people keep making shit up? The organization is not looking to offload his contract, Verbeek has literally said the opposite. Gibson has not talked about wanting to be moved to a contender, again the exact opposite has been said by him. How do these people keep getting paid to write this crap?

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Jesus, why does these people keep making shit up? The organization is not looking to offload his contract, Verbeek has literally said the opposite. Gibson has not talked about wanting to be moved to a contender, again the exact opposite has been said by him. How do these people keep getting paid to write this crap?

Agreed. It was publicly reported that both PV and Gibson sat down at the end of the season and they both confirmed his commitment to the team. PV stated that he is not interested in trading a 1# goalie. I wish they would focus on something more interesting and unknown such as who the next coach will be or if they'll sign any defenseman or who they would draft 2nd.

Reactions: lwvs84

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Agreed. It was publicly reported that both PV and Gibson sat down at the end of the season and they both confirmed his commitment to the team. PV stated that he is not interested in trading a 1# goalie. I wish they would focus on something more interesting and unknown such as who the next coach will be or if they'll sign any defenseman or who they would draft 2nd.
The irony here is that one of the 2 parties isn't giving real information here. History shows that GMs literally lie about players availability all the time. There are enough people that PV was just posturing for a better return and feel Gibby SHOULD be moved. Some of our own fans included. I hope PV was being honest though.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Oh Here We Go GIFs | Tenor

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Has history shown that GMs trade players months after sitting down with them and telling them they won't be moved "all the time"?
I doubt it. I hope PV was telling the truth. I'm just saying there is a group of people online who will ignore it and use incidents like the Subban trade to justify it.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Has history shown that GMs trade players months after sitting down with them and telling them they won't be moved "all the time"?
It’s probably uncommon but definitely not unheard of. In fact, Frank Seravalli had a recent podcast with an agent (I think it was Allan Walsh), and that exact scenario played out. The GM said he wasn’t trading the player, but then he had a deal fall into his lap that this player had to be involved in (for cap reasons). The player initially refused, but then was threatened with waivers, where he would be picked up by the team that was going to acquire him anyway. So eventually the player gave in and accepted.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
It’s probably uncommon but definitely not unheard of. In fact, Frank Seravalli had a recent podcast with an agent (I think it was Allan Walsh), and that exact scenario played out. The GM said he wasn’t trading the player, but then he had a deal fall into his lap that this player had to be involved in (for cap reasons). The player initially refused, but then was threatened with waivers, where he would be picked up by the team that was going to acquire him anyway. So eventually the player gave in and accepted.

Why would PV do anything like that though? He trades a #1 goalie signed long term why? He ruins relationships with agents and players for publicly and privately lying. He creates mistrust with the fans for lying all for the purpose of....

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Why would PV do anything like that though? He trades a #1 goalie signed long term why? He ruins relationships with agents and players for publicly and privately lying. He creates mistrust with the fans for lying all for the purpose of....
He's already arguably doing that. What PV has said since he joined the team and the results he he's achieved don't quite go together. Were we mid rebuild, did he actually expect a .500 team last year? I really don't know what to believe from him right now.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
He's already arguably doing that. What PV has said since he joined the team and the results he he's achieved don't quite go together. Were we mid rebuild, did he actually expect a .500 team last year? I really don't know what to believe from him right now.
Not really sure what you're wanting to hear, we were mid-rebuild when he took over, the team's finances were a blank slate and there were no valuable veteran core pieces he had to make a tough decision on outside of his first month on the job. Then this season he's certainly not going to come out and say he set the team up to fail whether he did or not.

Reactions: Deuce22 and Hey234

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Not really sure what you're wanting to hear, we were mid-rebuild when he took over, the team's finances were a blank slate and there were no valuable veteran core pieces he had to make a tough decision on outside of his first month on the job. Then this season he's certainly not going to come out and say he set the team up to fail whether he did or not.
I don't want him to contradict himself. If didn't expect a .500 team don't say he did. If he didn't think we're in the middle of the rebuild then don't say we were. If he wants to be non commital about things that's fine but don't send mixed messages. If he has a plan why not share it? Apparently everyone in the org thinks it's a great one.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I don't want him to contradict himself. If didn't expect a .500 team don't say he did. If he didn't think we're in the middle of the rebuild then don't say we were. If he wants to be non commital about things that's fine but don't send mixed messages. If he has a plan why not share it? Apparently everyone in the org thinks it's a great one.

I don't think he needs to share anything with us. You can choose to support the team with your hard earned money or not, thats up to you. I want to see this organization improve as a whole from when Verbeek took over. This year was bad, it needs to improve. That's all he owes us.

Reactions: Boo Boo

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I don't think he needs to share anything with us. You can choose to support the team with your hard earned money or not, thats up to you. I want to see this organization improve as a whole from when Verbeek took over. This year was bad, it needs to improve. That's all he owes us.
Sure he doesn't need to by why go out and give statements the seem to be in direct contradiction to what he actually does. It feels dishonest which doesn't sit well with me for any organization.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I think you're mixing roster situations with organization expectations.

Roster situations, the players know where they and GM Verbeek stand. With our pending UFA's last year, they knew there were going to be two options: re-signed or get traded. Manson and his agent were ghosted. Rakell's offer got shunted. Lindholm was given a short deal or be traded. With Des, a 3rd round pick was too difficult to pass up for Verbeek.

Organizational expectations, Verbeek puts out CYA statements.

When Verbeek was first hired, he said the next step was to contend, but he reset the rebuild. We didn't know it then, but he dropped hints with UFA's: We're gonna try to sign the UFA's, but if we can't, then we have to get something from them.​
To begin this season, Verbeek stated he's more worried about development than wins and losses. Two-thirds into the season, he's concerned about wins and losses. After the season presser, he's angry about the wins and losses.​

As for the plan, it's a good plan that many have done before for rebuilds: collect assets for a while, create organizational depth with those assets, trade assets when you start that playoff turn, and use future assets to control the cap. Verbeek doesn't like juggling the cap like Murray tinkered with it. The plan is a long term plan, though. Currently, the Ducks will have five consecutive top-10 picks and two top-3 picks in three drafts. I'm down for two more development seasons for our blueliners, but if we push it early, then I'm not okay with it b/c it strays prematurely from the original game plan.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I feel like Killorn could be a solid pick up. Probably only looking for 2-3 years. Should be good for 50-60 points and solid 2-way play. Ton of leadership qualities and beloved by Tampa. Ducks can easily overpay 5-6. I would do 2 years at 6 per.

Zegras-McTavish-Killorn
Henrique-Fantilli-Terry

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
I feel like Killorn could be a solid pick up. Probably only looking for 2-3 years. Should be good for 50-60 points and solid 2-way play. Ton of leadership qualities and beloved by Tampa. Ducks can easily overpay 5-6. I would do 2 years at 6 per.

Zegras-McTavish-Killorn
Henrique-Fantilli-Terry
I would like him, but my limit would be 3 years. I fully expect some team will offer him 4 or even 5 years.

Reactions: Hey234
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad