Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd give Comtois another chance.

I'm not sure you'll find much better with the current UFA crop and there isn't anyone in the AHL thats really knocking on the door.

I think that ship has sailed. Someone here said it before, if Verbeek didn't qualify Milano, not sure he will qualify Comtois.

I'd rather give guys like Nesterenko, Groulx, and Regenda a shot, we need new blood into the line up.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think that ship has sailed. Someone here said it before, if Verbeek didn't qualify Milano, not sure he will qualify Comtois.

I'd rather give guys like Nesterenko, Groulx, and Regenda a shot, we need new blood into the line up.
While I’m not too optimistic myself about Comtois staying I don’t think his situation is really comparable to Milano. Sonny was 26, looking at possibly a pretty nice arbitration award and most importantly just doesn’t fit. Comtois at least is younger, not likely to get much of a contract and theoretically can bring some value. Also a chance he’s not qualified and brought back for a low number.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
While I’m not too optimistic myself about Comtois staying I don’t think his situation is really comparable to Milano. Sonny was 26, looking at possibly a pretty nice arbitration award and most importantly just doesn’t fit. Comtois at least is younger, not likely to get much of a contract and theoretically can bring some value. Also a chance he’s not qualified and brought back for a low number.
Hopefully they get a coach and check on his conditioning before making a choice. If they have a new coach who can sit down with Comtois and he's in better shape, he's worth the risk. He's shown he can play at the NHL level... the question is will he commit to it and will the coach put him in a position to succeed.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA

Keep in mind, isn't the qualifying offer $2.445M? He'd be worth another shot at $1M maybe, but do they want to not only spend the money, but also fill up a spot in the lineup on a guy that hasn't shown much over the past couple of years?

There are quite a few people in the prospect pool with scoring potential...even if they're not extremely appealing based on last year's performances (e.g. Tracey, Groulx, Nesterenko as Leo mentioned), it's worth a shot at being even or better than 9 goals 10 assists in 64 games (Comtois' numbers).

What's the story with Gawdin and Grimaldi? Are they not considered really for the big club at any point?

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Keep in mind, isn't the qualifying offer $2.445M? He'd be worth another shot at $1M maybe, but do they want to not only spend the money, but also fill up a spot in the lineup on a guy that hasn't shown much over the past couple of years?

There are quite a few people in the prospect pool with scoring potential...even if they're not extremely appealing based on last year's performances (e.g. Tracey, Groulx, Nesterenko as Leo mentioned), it's worth a shot at being even or better than 9 goals 10 assists in 64 games (Comtois' numbers).

What's the story with Gawdin and Grimaldi? Are they not considered really for the big club at any point?
Gawdin will likely fill in for injuries for a few games. Nothing special there.

Grimaldi was traded near the deadline. Still not sure about the logic on that move.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
It's only 30 seconds long the section I linked. They basically just comment on how bad the Ducks f***ed up with their D the past several years.
the only thing is they included Manson alongside Theo and Montour. Frankly we probably moved on from Manson at the right time, seems like he wasn't all that great for the Avs this season plus was getting injured a lot.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Former ducks d men still in playoffs is sad when you realize how bad we were this year haha

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Former ducks d men still in playoffs is sad when you realize how bad we were this year haha
At first glance, yes. On the other hand, they'd not be enough for us to be contenders, and had we kept them we'd be at best in Kings situation or worse 0- a bubble team not good enough to compete and not bad enough to rebuild via draft.

The thing that hurts that Montour and Theodore returned basically only Brayden Tracey, lol

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
At first glance, yes. On the other hand, they'd not be enough for us to be contenders, and had we kept them we'd be at best in Kings situation or worse 0- a bubble team not good enough to compete and not bad enough to rebuild via draft.

The thing that hurts that Montour and Theodore returned basically only Brayden Tracey, lol
Montour was the puzzling one for me considering the assets we got back...though again, would he have flourished in a basement team? Methinks not (he certainly didn't in Buffalo). In a vacuum a 1st and a decent prospect at the time was not a bad return...but definitely unnecessary. I can't remember now, but were we hoping Vatanen would be able to bounce back? That might have spurred the trade.

Theo was not suited to a bottom pairing role for a Cup-contending team, which we thought we were at the time (2016-17). It also wasn't evident that Larsson was a steaming pile of crap defensively, and we still had Bieksa on the team who didn't want to waive and was never approached to do so, AND we also got to keep Manson.

Down the left we had Fowler, Lindholm, Beauchemin and Theo. Down the right we had Manson, Bieksa, Montour and a bit of Vatanen. That would have been too much irresponsibility down the right to babysit Theo.

Of course now they're both "egg on our face" situations, but there's some background / context that doesn't get talked about in favour of just saying "haha Ducks not patient".

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Montour was the puzzling one for me considering the assets we got back...though again, would he have flourished in a basement team? Methinks not (he certainly didn't in Buffalo). In a vacuum a 1st and a decent prospect at the time was not a bad return...but definitely unnecessary. I can't remember now, but were we hoping Vatanen would be able to bounce back? That might have spurred the trade.

Theo was not suited to a bottom pairing role for a Cup-contending team, which we thought we were at the time (2016-17). It also wasn't evident that Larsson was a steaming pile of crap defensively, and we still had Bieksa on the team who didn't want to waive and was never approached to do so, AND we also got to keep Manson.

Down the left we had Fowler, Lindholm, Beauchemin and Theo. Down the right we had Manson, Bieksa, Montour and a bit of Vatanen. That would have been too much irresponsibility down the right to babysit Theo.

Of course now they're both "egg on our face" situations, but there's some background / context that doesn't get talked about in favour of just saying "haha Ducks not patient".
IIRC, Murray approached him but Bieksa said he wouldn't waive unless he was extended.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Yep. I think with Monty there was arbitration coming up. Similar situation with Comtois but if we part with Comtois and 4 years later he puts it together, we'll be screaming as well :laugh: But now it all makes sense – as you said, at the time I think most of us thought it was a decent return.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
No current Ducks on the Canada World Championships roster, but possibly a future Duck.

Also missed this yesterday. No Ducks on the USA team either, but Thrun is playing.

Canada bringing Lucic to this event is mind boggling to me.

Even with all the possible reasoning (wanted a veteran presence plus some grit in the lineup and of course limited to those who are available and wanting to go), I simply cannot fathom there not being dozens of better choices.

Reactions: Goose of Reason

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Canada bringing Lucic to this event is mind boggling to me.

Even with all the possible reasoning (wanted a veteran presence plus some grit in the lineup and of course limited to those who are available and wanting to go), I simply cannot fathom there not being dozens of better choices.

What makes it wild to me is that that's a pretty young group - is Lucic about to be captain Canada? It's gotta to be either him or Toffoli right?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Anaheim fell in the 2017 WCF. It was their second WCF in the past three playoff appearances.

Vegas expansion draft was held in the June 18-20 of 2017. Vegas drafted D Stoner from the Ducks on the contention of having D Theodore traded to them after the expansion draft. The trade happened on June 21st. Here's the reason behind the Theodore trade, via Sportsnet:

This trade was facilitated to ensure Vegas GM George McPhee stayed away from defencemen Josh Manson and Sami Vatanen, both of whom were left unprotected.

Note, the Ducks were able to unload Stoner's last year of his contract worth $3.25 mil AAV. That probably gave GM Murray the leeway to offer F Eaves a 3-year extension that off-season worth $3.15 mil AAV. Eaves signed that extension in June 23, per capfriendly. Anaheim was gearing up for another Cup run... just the healthy issues to Kelser and Eaves happened after the 2017 WCF.

In November of 2017, the Ducks traded Vatanen for Rico because our center depth kept getting injured. Anaheim made the playoffs that season, but it was first time they didn't win the Pacific Division after winning it for five consecutive seasons.

Dec of 2018, GM Murray wanted to give the Ducks some scoring punch and traded away young D Pettersson for F Daniel Sprong (the same Sprong on the Kraken today). Eventually, head coach Carlyle lost the team and GM Murray decide to rebuild at the TDL. Monty was traded away at the 2018-19 TDL for prospect D Guhle and a first round pick (later to become LW Tracey).

Anaheim had an extra first round pick in the 2019 and 2020 draft. In going into a rebuild, the Ducks were able to land Zegras at 9th overall in 2019, Drysdale at 6th overall in 2020, and McTavish as 3rd overall in 2021.

What did we get in protecting Manson and Vatanen?

• Vatanen gave us Rico. Rico is still here. Rico probably will be shopped at this year's TDL.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What makes it wild to me is that that's a pretty young group - is Lucic about to be captain Canada? It's gotta to be either him or Toffoli right?

Yeah it looks like a possibility based on the roster.

Rico would have been a great veteran add to that forward group, but I can see him wanting to focus on health and training ahead of a contract year.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
the only thing is they included Manson alongside Theo and Montour. Frankly we probably moved on from Manson at the right time, seems like he wasn't all that great for the Avs this season plus was getting injured a lot.
I wouldn’t include Montour. Do people not realize this breakout year he had came at age 28?

On top of a whole lot of other things, in what world aren’t fans pounding the table for him to be dealt if he remained on the roster post-Covid?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Is D Scott Harrington worth bringing back? He can play both sides, plays with Fowler, and sometimes is on the PK. Harrington played better ES defense. In 17 games with the Ducks, Scott had 4 points, +1 rating, 18:20 ATOI, and 31 hits. At least he's a veteran plug we know that can play up and down the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad