Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
You mean the years they we were right up against the cap and didn't really have space to add big name UFAs? We did add Koivu. BM built his D around having 3 solid pairings for years after. Spending bigger money on Fowler Lindholm and Vatanen. BMs management and roster contruction was his preference but didnt mean he didn't spend money. He just didn't spend it all the time in what WE wanted. Also BM isn't here anymore, why would anything BM did in the past 15 years have any bearing on what PV will do in the future.

As for the last, this team is in a unprecedented situation for itself. I don’t think they should build the entire team through UFA but for sure should add pieces we don't have internally, like defensive minded D. At least 1 to play with Fowler to help shelter the inherent pairings a bit.

Umm were the Ducks ever actually a cap team? Not sure if any website that has accurate info from that long ago, but I’m pretty sure they had their internal cap.

Anyways, the point remains, this idea that the Ducks can get a top 6 center and 2 top 4 defensemen without giving some stupid contracts is wishful thinking.

Reactions: Deuce22

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Umm were the Ducks ever actually a cap team? Not sure if any website that has accurate info from that long ago, but I’m pretty sure they had their internal cap.

Anyways, the point remains, this idea that the Ducks can get a top 6 center and 2 top 4 defensemen without giving some stupid contracts is wishful thinking.
Not all top 6 forwards and top 4 D are created equal. We're looking for guys who can support those who will be in the prominent roles. We're not looking for anyone to be a star for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: robbieboy3686

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Wanted to put down on paper a kind of theoretical expectation of how the roster may turn out for next year. Would like a better visual on where the obvious gaps are, who we know will return, expect to return, or expect to graduate to the big club. Won't delve into salary cap / spending etc.

I'll first list all players with contract status and at various levels and positions, and then try to slot them into a roster where appropriate (note where they're listed as potential centers, I've kept them in that category). I can adjust based on consensus.

Anaheim Ducks Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Signed through 2023-24:
  • NHL Centers: Henrique (LHS), Strome (RHS), Lundestrom (LHS), McTavish (LHS), Carrick (RHS)
    • Prospect Centers: Gaucher (RHS), Lopina (RHS), Regenda (LHS), De Leo (LHS), Gawdin (RHS), Wiebe (RHS)
  • NHL Wings: Silfverberg (RHS), Vatrano (LHS), McGinn (LHS), Jones (LHS), Nesterenko (LHS), Leason (RHS)
    • Prospect Wings: McLaughlin (LHS), Perreault (RHS), Tracey (LHS), Pastujov (LHS), Caulfield (RHS)
  • Defense (NHL): Fowler (LHS), LaCombe (LHS), Vaakanainan (LHS), White (LHS)
    • Defense (Prospects): Mintyukov (LHS), Helleson (RHS), Zellweger (LHS), Hinds (LHS)
  • Goalie (NHL): Gibson
    • Goalie (Prospects): Clang, Alexander
RFAs:
  • NHL Centers: Zegras (LHS)
    • Prospect Centers: Groulx (LHS), Slavin (LHS)
  • NHL Wings: Comtois (LHS), Terry (RHS)
    • Prospect Wings: Kindopp (RHS)
  • Defense (NHL): Drysdale (RHS), Benoit (LHS)
    • Defense (Prospects): Andersson (RHS)
  • Goalie (NHL): Dostal
    • Goalie (Prospects): Eriksson Ek
UFAs:
  • NHL Centers: Grant (LHS)
    • Prospect Centers: Kirkland (LHS), Sikura (LHS)
  • NHL Wings: Megna (RHS)
  • Defense (NHL): Shattenkirk (RHS), Beaulieu (LHS), Harrington (LHS)
  • Goalie (NHL): Stolarz

Based on above, guesses on roster following, positioned left to right:

Forwards:
HenriqueMcTavishTerry
VatranoZegrasStrome
JonesLundestromNesterenko
GroulxCarrickSilfverberg
Not listed: McGinn, Leason, Comtois, Grant, Megna

Defense:
Fowler(sign / trade?)
LaCombeDrysdale
BenoitHelleson
Not listed: White, Shattenkirk, Beaulieu, Harrington, Vaakanainan. Hinds a possibility.

Goalie:
Gibson
Dostal

Appreciate help and feedback on where you think players will slot in, who we'll retain, etc.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Wanted to put down on paper a kind of theoretical expectation of how the roster may turn out for next year. Would like a better visual on where the obvious gaps are, who we know will return, expect to return, or expect to graduate to the big club. Won't delve into salary cap / spending etc.

I'll first list all players with contract status and at various levels and positions, and then try to slot them into a roster where appropriate (note where they're listed as potential centers, I've kept them in that category). I can adjust based on consensus.

Anaheim Ducks Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Signed through 2023-24:
  • NHL Centers: Henrique (LHS), Strome (RHS), Lundestrom (LHS), McTavish (LHS), Carrick (RHS)
    • Prospect Centers: Gaucher (RHS), Lopina (RHS), Regenda (LHS), De Leo (LHS), Gawdin (RHS), Wiebe (RHS)
  • NHL Wings: Silfverberg (RHS), Vatrano (LHS), McGinn (LHS), Jones (LHS), Nesterenko (LHS), Leason (RHS)
    • Prospect Wings: McLaughlin (LHS), Perreault (RHS), Tracey (LHS), Pastujov (LHS), Caulfield (RHS)
    • Defense (Prospects): Mintyukov (LHS), Helleson (RHS), Zellweger (LHS), Hinds (LHS)
RFAs:
UFAs:

Forwards:
HenriqueMcTavishTerry
VatranoZegrasStrome
GroulxCarrickSilfverberg

Defense:
Fowler(sign / trade?)
LaCombeDrysdale
BenoitVaakanainan
Not listed: White, Shattenkirk, Beaulieu, Harrington

Goalie:
Gibson
Dostal

Appreciate help and feedback on where you think players will slot in, who we'll retain, etc.

I think helleson gets a look at 3 RD. I wouldn’t be shocked if Vaaks is done in Anaheim…. Not much upside on him.

Fowler - ufa/trade
Mintyukov drysdale
Lacombe helleson
Benoit - in and out with lacombe

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
You think Minty is going to slot in over LaCombe? I thought general feelings here were that LaCombe is likely a lock and more NHL ready than most of our other options, and that Minty would be best served by continuing to develop his defensive game in the minor league.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I would be very surprised if whatever forward we get 1-3 isn't in the NHl next season.

You think Minty is going to slot in over LaCombe? I thought general feelings here were that LaCombe is likely a lock and more NHL ready than most of our other options, and that Minty would be best served by continuing to develop his defensive game in the minor league.
I personally think one of zellweger or mintyukov wins a spot in training camp. I've always thought Olen was NHL bound and mintyukov spends 40 games with the gulls.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I think helleson gets a look at 3 RD. I wouldn’t be shocked if Vaaks is done in Anaheim…. Not much upside on him.

Fowler - ufa/trade
Mintyukov drysdale
Lacombe helleson
Benoit - in and out with lacombe
Gibson: “Hell no to this EVEN softer defensive lineup.”

Something more like this with our prospects developing more:

Fowler - Mayfield
Drysdale - Schenn
Lacombe/Call-up - Clifton
Benoit

Only if we can overpay a bit for shorter term:
-Mayfield @ 11-12 million, 2 years
-Schenn @ 7-8 million, 2 years
-Clifton @ 6-7 million, 2 years

Maybe acquire a Kleven type of developmental prospect for Comtois.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That’s the general feeling…. But i think minty plays his way in

Fowler - Mayfield
Drysdale - Schenn
Benoit

-Mayfield @ 11 million, 2 years
-Schenn @ 7 million, 2 years
-Clifton @ 6 million, 2 years

I’m strictly going off what we have….. we obviously need 1 rhd via free agency…. But I wouldn’t be shocked if we let some of these kids get looks.

Why we putting drysdale on lhd… and schenn is not a top 4 dmen. I’m all for Clifton… but he’s not as big as a lot of you would like

Blocking all our dmen with 3 2 year contracts on defense seems like a bad move.

Maybe you sign a too 4 rhd , and a guy that can be a 7th , but imo Benoit kinda fills that roll…. If anything we aim at a 1 year cap player.

Helleson and lacombe should be in the nhl next year and guys like minty hinds and zellweger arnt far behind

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA

Fowler - Mayfield
Drysdale - Schenn
Benoit

-Mayfield @ 11-12 million, 2 years
-Schenn @ 7-8 million, 2 years
-Clifton @ 6-7 million, 2 years

I know, that D is still really awful, even though things are looking up as prospects graduate. But I think Verbeek doesn't want to rush them either...I'm curious what decisions are made after training camp.

I don't want to specifically slot in names of players that would have to be signed...very open-ended and unknown that way, so I just filled in with people we already have in the system. If we can trade some of these guys like Vaaks for someone potentially more serviceable and physical, that would be great.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
I would be very surprised if whatever forward we get 1-3 isn't in the NHl next season.

I personally think one of zellweger or mintyukov wins a spot in training camp. I've always thought Olen was NHL bound and mintyukov spends 40 games with the gulls.
If the Ducks win the lottery, then absolutely I would expect / hope that Bedard is seen as ready and plays with the Ducks, but I'm not slotting him in until after May 8th =).

If they get Fantilli, possible he plays up. Carlsson, I don't know. If they don't get Bedard, I think having any of the other picks continue to grow their game outside the NHL might be the best.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Agreed. For Bedard its because of the tier of talent/prospect that he is.
Fantilli and Carlsson are so much advanced physically that i can't see them not making the NHL.
Fantilli for sure goes straight to the NHL, too fast and big to not make the jump right away.
Carlsson being the least likely one to make the NHL, he could work on his skating more in the AHL.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
My prediction...

Henrique - Zegras - Terry
Vatrano - McTavish - UFA
Draft pick
- Strome - Silvfer
Jones - Lundy - McGinn

Fowler - UFA
LaCombe - Drysdale
Benoit - Shatty

Gibson
Dostal

I just have a feeling none of the current prospects are going to do enough in camp to earn a spot, outside of LaCombe.

If we pick 1/2, that pick plays in Anaheim. If we pick 3rd, could be a toss up.

I think Vaaks gets injured again within the first 10 games. We dont see him for more than 30 games next season.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Leason and McGinn are both under contract for next season. Unless they are traded (very unlikely) they will both be in the lineup. Before you ask, Leason's minor league salary is the same as his NHL salary.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Leason and McGinn are both under contract for next season. Unless they are traded (very unlikely) they will both be in the lineup. Before you ask, Leason's minor league salary is the same as his NHL salary.

Leason is a healthy scratch candidate who will get in 50% of games unless he has some epiphany and grows leaps and bounds over the summer.

Reactions: Arthuros

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
OR WE TRADE THEM FOR MAGIC BEANS and free up some roster space!

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Realistically, I think we might see:
Henrique-McTavish-Terry
Fantilli/Carlsson-Zegras-UFA/Trade/Nesterenko
Vatrano-Lundestrom-Strome
McGinn-Grant-Silf

Fowler-UFA/Trade
UFA/Trade/LaCombe-Drysdale
Benoit/Minty*/Zell*-LaCombe/Helleson

Gibson
Dostal

Minty/Zell is if they absolutely leave no doubt they deserve a spot.

I think they'll add one or two cap casualty guys (like Kulikov) by the start of the season. Hopefully they pay a little more and get someone better, though.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Realistically, I think we might see:
Henrique-McTavish-Terry
Fantilli/Carlsson-Zegras-UFA/Trade/Nesterenko
Vatrano-Lundestrom-Strome
McGinn-Grant-Silf

Fowler-UFA/Trade
UFA/Trade/LaCombe-Drysdale
Benoit/Minty*/Zell*-LaCombe/Helleson

Gibson
Dostal

Minty/Zell is if they absolutely leave no doubt they deserve a spot.

I think they'll add one or two cap casualty guys (like Kulikov) by the start of the season. Hopefully they pay a little more and get someone better, though.
It does appear that Silf is at the point in his career like Perry where he will have more energy with a 4th line role instead of being overused.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
Leason is a healthy scratch candidate who will get in 50% of games unless he has some epiphany and grows leaps and bounds over the summer.
If Leason could bounce back to what he was on the Caps he'd be a serviceable bottom 6 guy, he's young enough that I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he can become that guy again, and this years performance had more to do with how awful our team was as a whole and that maybe a better coach can get more out of him.

It's honestly pretty funny looking at how our fanbase viewed him and treated him vs. how Caps fans viewed him and treated him, it's like night and day, he was one of many punching bags on this forum and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone saying anything good about him (not that he didn't deserve the criticism) meanwhile when he was on the Caps it was the other way around and they where genuinely upset to lose him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not all top 6 forwards and top 4 D are created equal. We're looking for guys who can support those who will be in the prominent roles. We're not looking for anyone to be a star for us.

We grabbed two top-6 forwards last year in Vatrano and "Stroke". We also grabbed a top-4D in RD Klingberg as well as added Kulikov, who on our roster is a top-4D. All were support players in prominent roles.

If you want better than that, then we're spending a lot of money with term or trading assets as well as insinuating spending a lot of money and term to retain them.

Reactions: branmuffin17

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Bedard is the only one that doesn't have an AHL option and he's far too good to be in the CHL. Fantilli and Carlsson both have great programs whereas both the AHL and NHL clubs are entering new coaching regimes. I can see both staying at their respective programs, where each league has bigger and older players than in the CHL.

As for Zell and Minty, GMPV stated how both players needed to improve their defensive structures on a Dec 1, 2022 NHL.com article. Based off of Verbeek's evaluation of both offensive defensemen, I don't see how either one will jump to the NHL right out of training camp.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Aside from LaCombe, I think Hinds might be a dark horse to make the NHL club because his defense is further along compared to our other defensive prospects. Here is Verbeek's assessment on Hinds on a Dec 1, 2022 article:

On defensive prospect and 2021 third-round pick Tyson Hinds
Tyson's had a really good year. When he came into camp, I hadn't seen this player before and I was very impressed with him. Six-foot-three kid that can really move. His game is that of a simple one. With his skill and how he moves the puck simply, he doesn't try to handle it too much, which is perfect in the NHL. That's what you really want. He's a really good defender, and I've been really impressed with his hockey sense. There's a quiet side, an underrated offensive side to his game that, when I watched him about 10 days ago, I was really impressed with. I'm really excited for him for next year.​

Although Hinds is a left shot, he's been playing RD like our other defensive prospects in LaCombe and Zellweger.

Reactions: branmuffin17

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

Signed through 2023-24:
RFAs:
UFAs:

Forwards:
HenriqueMcTavishTerry
VatranoZegrasStrome
GroulxCarrickSilfverberg

Defense:
Fowler(sign / trade?)
LaCombeDrysdale
BenoitHelleson
Not listed: White, Shattenkirk, Beaulieu, Harrington, Vaakanainan

Goalie:
Gibson
Dostal

Thanks for putting this together.

I wouldn't be surprised if the lines and pairings we've been accustomed to seeing are completely abandoned in favor of the new coach's vision, so I'm not sure it's useful to speculate in that regard. Instead, I'll just throw out the guys in depth chart order of who I think will be on the team most of the year:

LW:
Henrique
Vatrano
Jones
McGinn
Leason

RW:
Terry
Strome
Silfverberg
Carrick

C:
Zegras
McTavish
Our first round draft pick
Lundestrom

Forwards I expect to see, but maybe not for the whole year: Nesterenko, Regenda, Perreault, and Tracey.

I think Comtois is gone. I'm not sure if Verbeek plans to retain Groulx, but if he's brought back, I expect to see him on the 4th line.

LD:
Fowler
Benoit
Vaakanainen (if healthy)
LaCombe
White

RD:
UFA (hopefully)
Drysdale
UFA (hopefully)
Helleson

Two big questions immediately jump out to me and I really don't have the answer to either. Do we get two UFA right handed defensemen? Do Zellweger and/or Mintyukov make and stay with the team?

I'm not as convinced as most that Shattenkirk will be re-signed. He was fine as a veteran presence, but his style of play is the opposite of what we need on the blueline.

Sidenote, I think Harrington could be useful in a depth role with spot duty in the top four when injuries begin to mount. But that would be a ton of LHD, even if some can/will play on the right side.

G:
Gibson
Dostal

This is pretty cut and dry. Stolarz was great for us as a stopgap until Dostal was ready. Gibson isn't going anywhere no matter what Friedman and tomd want you to think. Clang might see some games as a backup if Gibson or Dostal go down at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad