Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Him letting Eakins go tells me he might let shattenkirk go to
I hope this is tthe case.
IMO, LaCombe is a top-4D on our roster today. I also think that LaCombe is ahead of Drysdale since Drysdale lost a year of development.

I just don't see how you can make this claim. Drysdale's skating is far superior, he has 113 games of NHL experience, and he's generally shown a lot of skill and good hockey IQ. LaCombe has 140 college games which developmentally is no where close to an NHL experience.

Drysdale was forced to play a top 4 role and, while he made a lot of mistakes (as would be expected), he looked the part. His entire career he's played "up" a level - against older players - and always excelled. LaCombe has played two games, on a bottom pair sheltered role. And if you compaire their play in international tournaments and other elite competition, Drysdale has always shined and LaCombe has been more of a role player (even though LaCombe is a year older).

Not bashing LaCombe. I thought he looked pretty good in the limited games he played, and I was rally watching him. I really like hiim as a prospect. But to my eye, and based on the statistical metrics you so adore, Drysdale is far superior currently and as a prospect (assuming he mostly healthy next year).

LaCombe is only a top 4 d-man on the ducks because they have no real d-men other than Fowler and Drysdale.

All 3 imo are NHL ready and Bedard will 100% play in the NHL next year, Fantilli it likely just depends on what he wants to do, Carlsson might do a one-and-done in the AHL

Responding to another post or two above, if Fantilli isn't signing after the draft and wants to go back to another year in college, I think there's a real chance the ducks don't take him. Can't risk him not signing.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
This season’s embellishments list

Attachments

• 267931F6-F881-4F2A-8A1B-DCB146F66DEC.jpeg
    267931F6-F881-4F2A-8A1B-DCB146F66DEC.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Yemeth

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Both are free agents this offseason, I'd look into giving Gavrikov a 2-3 year contract, Dumba I would pass on he doesn't bring anything we don't already have as well as all the future logjam problems you bring up.
Dumba for some reason is not same Dumba from 3-4 years ago...which is weird dude is 28, 29 years old. I think our D acquisition should be long term one, good top4 D 5 mil per year who is also gonna play with Drysdale, Mintyukov, Olen in the future.
I'm not afraid giving Graves 5 or 6 years...

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I just don't see how you can make this claim. Drysdale's skating is far superior, he has 113 games of NHL experience, and he's generally shown a lot of skill and good hockey IQ. LaCombe has 140 college games which developmentally is no where close to an NHL experience.

Drysdale was forced to play a top 4 role and, while he made a lot of mistakes (as would be expected), he looked the part. His entire career he's played "up" a level - against older players - and always excelled. LaCombe has played two games, on a bottom pair sheltered role. And if you compaire their play in international tournaments and other elite competition, Drysdale has always shined and LaCombe has been more of a role player (even though LaCombe is a year older).

Not bashing LaCombe. I thought he looked pretty good in the limited games he played, and I was rally watching him. I really like hiim as a prospect. But to my eye, and based on the statistical metrics you so adore, Drysdale is far superior currently and as a prospect (assuming he mostly healthy next year).

LaCombe is only a top 4 d-man on the ducks because they have no real d-men other than Fowler and Drysdale.
Not to speak for HD but if the claim is that LaCombe is ahead of Drysdale on their individual development curves (not in absolute terms), then I'd buy that. And then I could use it to help justify starting LaCombe in a sheltered top 4 role.

Obviously at this point that's not possible with this roster because the only guy we have that can shelter anyone is Cam and I wouldn't put LaCombe out 20 minutes a game. So the only way to shelter him is to limit his ice time on the 3rd pair.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Dumba for some reason is not same Dumba from 3-4 years ago...which is weird dude is 28, 29 years old. I think our D acquisition should be long term one, good top4 D 5 mil per year who is also gonna play with Drysdale, Mintyukov, Olen in the future.
I'm not afraid giving Graves 5 or 6 years...
I would be lol.

Gavrikov is the only guy on the market I would give a ton of term to.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
I want a shutdown, vet RD to pair with Fowler. That's the least I want in FA, to have a more proper 1st pairing. Then our youths will be better sheltered at ES play for at least a year. It will allow LaCombe and Drysdale to get a full year of NHL experience as well as development. Their development is important to help shelter the next wave of youth blue liners.

If we're to return to the playoffs with a higher chance of winning the cup, then making sure our blueline are brought along with a higher chance of success must be the top goal the next couple of seasons.
I would love to be able to bring in Gudas. He would bring some stability and bite to the back end. But not sure he'd be able to handle those minutes and matchups. It's been 6+ years since he was even close to playing 20mins a night.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I really like Helleson but don‘t want to rush this kid, let him marinate in SD a little more, and think he has #4 potential. Really liked the few games he played, very good sign.

LaCombe who had a great program in college, don’t think he needs to go to SD.
He struggled a lot in San Diego at times. If we can square away the coaching and systems in both levels, having the kids develop in ahl and “graduate” would be great. I’m sure some outliers as always will show themselves

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He struggled a lot in San Diego at times. If we can square away the coaching and systems in both levels, having the kids develop in ahl and “graduate” would be great. I’m sure some outliers as always will show themselves

SD was a mess, almost as bad as the Ducks. Would like to see him play for an actual competent coach and system.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Hasn’t it been said many times, by many insiders and experts, that some young dmen do better once they arrive at the nhl level due to the ahl being so chaotic?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Make the claim that LaCombe's development is further along than Drysdale? Sure.

• LaCombe's bio: 6'2 and 200 lbs (per Minny page, was 6'2 and 190 for his freshman year; EP has him listed at 6'2 and 201 lbs)
  • Drysales' bio: 5'11 and 186 lbs (per EP)

You're using a slight of hand technique: 113 NHL games vs 140 college games.

Let's break this down into seasons to reveal the flaw(s) of your argument.

• Drysdale
    • D+1: 24 NHL games, 8 pts, 0.33 ppg, -12 rating, 23 blocked shots (Looked lost after first 4-6 games)
    • D+2: 81 NHL games, 32 pts, 0.40 ppg, -26 rating, 72 blocked shots (I just wanted him to last the season not looking overwhelmed and he did)
    • D+3: 8 NHL games, 0 pts, 0.00 ppg, -3 rating, 6 blocked shots (In game 7 and 8, it looked like he was turning the corner. Then he's injured for the rest of the season.)
    • Total: 113 NHL games, 40 points, 0.35 ppg, -41 rating, and 101 blocked shots

LaCombe​
    Season​
    League​
    Games​
    G​
    A​
    Pts​
    PPG​
    +/-​
    Block Shots​
    Team Rank​
    D+1​
    NCAA​
    37​
    3​
    10​
    13​
    0.35​
    -1​
    61​
    2nd​
    D+2​
    NCAA​
    27​
    4​
    17​
    21​
    0.78​
    19​
    33​
    3rd​
    D+3​
    NCAA​
    39​
    3​
    27​
    30​
    0.77​
    23​
    64​
    1st​
    D+4​
    NCAA​
    35​
    9​
    26​
    35​
    1.00​
    12​
    53​
    3rd​
    NHL​
    2​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    0.00​
    -1​
    9​
    n/a​
    Total​
    .​
    140​
    19​
    80​
    99​
    0.71​
    52​
    220​

Using only games played since their draft year, we can identify that Drysdale has played in a much higher league. Based upon those metrics alone of games and league competition should have Drysdale ahead, but that's a disingenuous take.

Drysdale has had only one full NHL season. His first NHL season, he was barely hanging on after the first few games and was overwhelmed. Jamie's second NHL, he lasted the whole season, but he should have been in the AHL still except the Ducks didn't have enough talent to keep him in the AHL. Last year, his third season, Drysdale lost a year of development.

With LaCombe in the NCAA program, they usually play on weekends and the reason why the games played is lower after four years of play. Because games are on weekends for the NCAA, their players are able to physically get stronger during the season. With the CHL and NHL, players get stronger in the off-season because what they're missing in their workout regimen is "rest and recovery". Physically, LaCombe is more mature than Drysdale and the fact LaCombe's a year older. Game-wise, LaCombe is also more mature such that each season he can reflect upon with his team and implement a new game plan for next season. LaCombe's defense and offense has improved year through his NCAA career.

Plus/minus stat along with blocked shots reveals discipline and Hockey IQ of where to expect the shot. LaCombe has 119 more blocked shots credited to his name over Drysdale. Comparing this season, Drysdale has 6 blocked shots in eight games while LaCombe notched 9 blocked shots in only two games. LaCombe has been doing his homework on improving his defense in his four NCAA seasons and it shows in the blocked shots category.

One point I want to wholeheartedly disagree with you was when you proclaimed the following: "Drysdale's skating is far superior." This is where you lose credibility. Everyone watching the games LaCombe skated in came away impressed with LaCombe's skating except you. The gap between Drysdale and LaCombe isn't "far superior".

Here's a quote from the OCR, published in June 2019, LaCombe's draft year:
Minnesota coach Bob Motzko gave this scouting report on LaCombe, the 39th overall pick, to the Grand Forks (North Dakota) Herald newspaper a few days before the draft:
“The first thing is he’s just got tremendous skating ability and that’s been one of the real common denominators over the years. Whether you’re a young player coming in or you’ve got a little experience, the players that really have that extra special gear, the game comes quicker to them.”

Also, this...

LaCombe was known for his top end skating going into the 2019 NHL draft. He has had four seasons in the NCAA to continue developing and honing his skating skills. GM Murray took LaCombe earlier than his projections. The reason LaCombe went in the 2nd round was due playing in the high school level before the draft. The level of competition isn't on par with the CHL or USHL. It appears the same dismissive thought continues on.

If Drysdale didn't lose a year of development this year, then we'd all be ecstatic. But he did lose a year and that's what sucks. Drysdale hasn't played hockey since Oct 28, 2022, six months ago. I don't know if he's even cleared to put skates on b/c we've only seen on wearing shoes on the ice when fooling around with Zegras and McTavish on video.

I'd prefer Drysdale not play on the top line with Fowler. In fact, I'd like Drysdale on the third line to get back into the groove and work his way back into hockey shape, speed, and thinking process. Afterward, he can move up the pairing levels. Developing Drysdale properly is important because we only have three years of Fowler left. Remember, sounding like a broken clock here, Drysdale lost a year of development this season.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Hasn’t it been said many times, by many insiders and experts, that some young dmen do better once they arrive at the nhl level due to the ahl being so chaotic?
Yes, if their game relies on structure. Montour was the opposite, where his was chaotic, and looked superb in San Diego, but the NHL guys couldn’t ever figure out what he was going to do.

Oct 18, 2011
Overall team toughness has to be addressed. It was absolutely ridiculous that verbeek made no effort to surround his young skill guys with some dudes to protect them, beyond that there's no net front presence on this roster which is also apart of being a tougher team, and that goes for both sides of the rink.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Make the claim that LaCombe's development is further along than Drysdale? Sure.

• LaCombe's bio: 6'2 and 200 lbs (per Minny page, was 6'2 and 190 for his freshman year; EP has him listed at 6'2 and 201 lbs)
  • Drysales' bio: 5'11 and 186 lbs (per EP)

You're using a slight of hand technique: 113 NHL games vs 140 college games.

Let's break this down into seasons to reveal the flaw(s) of your argument.

• Drysdale
    • D+1: 24 NHL games, 8 pts, 0.33 ppg, -12 rating, 23 blocked shots (Looked lost after first 4-6 games)
    • D+2: 81 NHL games, 32 pts, 0.40 ppg, -26 rating, 72 blocked shots (I just wanted him to last the season not looking overwhelmed and he did)
    • D+3: 8 NHL games, 0 pts, 0.00 ppg, -3 rating, 6 blocked shots (In game 7 and 8, it looked like he was turning the corner. Then he's injured for the rest of the season.)
    • Total: 113 NHL games, 40 points, 0.35 ppg, -41 rating, and 101 blocked shots

LaCombe​
    Season​
    League​
    Games​
    G​
    A​
    Pts​
    PPG​
    +/-​
    Block Shots​
    Team Rank​
    D+1​
    NCAA​
    37​
    3​
    10​
    13​
    0.35​
    -1​
    61​
    2nd​
    D+2​
    NCAA​
    27​
    4​
    17​
    21​
    0.78​
    19​
    33​
    3rd​
    D+3​
    NCAA​
    39​
    3​
    27​
    30​
    0.77​
    23​
    64​
    1st​
    D+4​
    NCAA​
    35​
    9​
    26​
    35​
    1.00​
    12​
    53​
    3rd​
    NHL​
    2​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    0.00​
    -1​
    9​
    n/a​
    Total​
    .​
    140​
    19​
    80​
    99​
    0.71​
    52​
    220​

Using only games played since their draft year, we can identify that Drysdale has played in a much higher league. Based upon those metrics alone of games and league competition should have Drysdale ahead, but that's a disingenuous take.

Drysdale has had only one full NHL season. His first NHL season, he was barely hanging on after the first few games and was overwhelmed. Jamie's second NHL, he lasted the whole season, but he should have been in the AHL still except the Ducks didn't have enough talent to keep him in the AHL. Last year, his third season, Drysdale lost a year of development.

With LaCombe in the NCAA program, they usually play on weekends and the reason why the games played is lower after four years of play. Because games are on weekends for the NCAA, their players are able to physically get stronger during the season. With the CHL and NHL, players get stronger in the off-season because what they're missing in their workout regimen is "rest and recovery". Physically, LaCombe is more mature than Drysdale and the fact LaCombe's a year older. Game-wise, LaCombe is also more mature such that each season he can reflect upon with his team and implement a new game plan for next season. LaCombe's defense and offense has improved year through his NCAA career.

Plus/minus stat along with blocked shots reveals discipline and Hockey IQ of where to expect the shot. LaCombe has 119 more blocked shots credited to his name over Drysdale. Comparing this season, Drysdale has 6 blocked shots in eight games while LaCombe notched 9 blocked shots in only two games. LaCombe has been doing his homework on improving his defense in his four NCAA seasons and it shows in the blocked shots category.

One point I want to wholeheartedly disagree with you was when you proclaimed the following: "Drysdale's skating is far superior." This is where you lose credibility. Everyone watching the games LaCombe skated in came away impressed with LaCombe's skating except you. The gap between Drysdale and LaCombe isn't "far superior".

Here's a quote from the OCR, published in June 2019, LaCombe's draft year:

Also, this...

LaCombe was known for his top end skating going into the 2019 NHL draft. He has had four seasons in the NCAA to continue developing and honing his skating skills. GM Murray took LaCombe earlier than his projections. The reason LaCombe went in the 2nd round was due playing in the high school level before the draft. The level of competition isn't on par with the CHL or USHL. It appears the same dismissive thought continues on.

If Drysdale didn't lose a year of development this year, then we'd all be ecstatic. But he did lose a year and that's what sucks. Drysdale hasn't played hockey since Oct 28, 2022, six months ago. I don't know if he's even cleared to put skates on b/c we've only seen on wearing shoes on the ice when fooling around with Zegras and McTavish on video.

I'd prefer Drysdale not play on the top line with Fowler. In fact, I'd like Drysdale on the third line to get back into the groove and work his way back into hockey shape, speed, and thinking process. Afterward, he can move up the pairing levels. Developing Drysdale properly is important because we only have three years of Fowler left. Remember, sounding like a broken clock here, Drysdale lost a year of development this season.

"Everyone" was impressed with Lacombe's skating? That claim is a bit silly unless you've spoken with everyone. And even if everyone was impressed, that doesn't mean he's a better skater than Drysdale.

LaCombe was known for his top end skating going into the 2019 NHL draft according to you, with a quote from Elliot Teaford. Yet he was drafted 39? Drysdale was also known for his top end skating, so much so that, according to Teaford:

"Jamie Drysdale’s skating was what captured the imagination of the Ducks first and foremost. It’s why they selected him sixth overall in the NHL draft last Oct. 6, why they envisioned him in their lineup sooner than later and why they haven’t been surprised by his play after nine games.

Drysdale, who turned 19 on Thursday, took nothing for granted as he made his way through the ranks as a young hockey player in Toronto. He took figure skating lessons starting at age 7. In recent years, he’s enlisted the aid of Dawn Braid, a Ducks skating consultant from 2010-12.

Standing 5-feet-11 and weighing 175 pounds, Drysdale is the smallest of the Ducks’ defensemen. He’s not necessarily a physical player and rarely throws a body check, but he uses his superior skating to position himself well. He’s almost never beaten by a faster skater.

Mostly, that’s so because there aren’t many faster skaters in the NHL.

Or to be more precise, there aren’t many better-positioned skaters in the NHL."

Ducks rookie defenseman Jamie Drysdale skating past expectations

No one has ever said anything close to that about LaCombe.

And for you to compare LaCombe's college stats with Drysdale's in the NHL shows how you're grasping at straws to make what is ultimately a very weak argument. Blocked shots is one metric - not a definitive one. Maybe Drysdale blocks fewer shots because the guy he's guarding doesn't get a chance to shoot? Or because Drysdale has the puck or the ducks have the puck more when Dry is playing? Or maybe comparing a guy who played 8 games at the beginning of the season with a guy who played two garbage time games at the end is an inherently statistically flawed comparison? Blocks is just a very weird thing to latch onto, particularly when the sample size is so small.

It sucks that Drysdale missed a year. But there is no evidence to support the notion that LaCombe is better qualified to play in the top 4 than Drysdale. If you're arguing LaCombe is further in his "development curve" - basically more physically mature - then maybe that's true. But Drysdale today is the better player. That is likely to always be the case. And that's not a slam on LaCombe. There's a reason he was drafted 39th and has never starred on an international team the way Drysdale has.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
"Everyone" was impressed with Lacombe's skating? That claim is a bit silly unless you've spoken with everyone. And even if everyone was impressed, that doesn't mean he's a better skater than Drysdale.

LaCombe was known for his top end skating going into the 2019 NHL draft according to you, with a quote from Elliot Teaford. Yet he was drafted 39? Drysdale was also known for his top end skating, so much so that, according to Teaford:

"Jamie Drysdale’s skating was what captured the imagination of the Ducks first and foremost. It’s why they selected him sixth overall in the NHL draft last Oct. 6, why they envisioned him in their lineup sooner than later and why they haven’t been surprised by his play after nine games.

Drysdale, who turned 19 on Thursday, took nothing for granted as he made his way through the ranks as a young hockey player in Toronto. He took figure skating lessons starting at age 7. In recent years, he’s enlisted the aid of Dawn Braid, a Ducks skating consultant from 2010-12.

Standing 5-feet-11 and weighing 175 pounds, Drysdale is the smallest of the Ducks’ defensemen. He’s not necessarily a physical player and rarely throws a body check, but he uses his superior skating to position himself well. He’s almost never beaten by a faster skater.

Mostly, that’s so because there aren’t many faster skaters in the NHL.

Or to be more precise, there aren’t many better-positioned skaters in the NHL."

Ducks rookie defenseman Jamie Drysdale skating past expectations

No one has ever said anything close to that about LaCombe.

And for you to compare LaCombe's college stats with Drysdale's in the NHL shows how you're grasping at straws to make what is ultimately a very weak argument. Blocked shots is one metric - not a definitive one. Maybe Drysdale blocks fewer shots because the guy he's guarding doesn't get a chance to shoot? Or because Drysdale has the puck or the ducks have the puck more when Dry is playing? Or maybe comparing a guy who played 8 games at the beginning of the season with a guy who played two garbage time games at the end is an inherently statistically flawed comparison? Blocks is just a very weird thing to latch onto, particularly when the sample size is so small.

It sucks that Drysdale missed a year. But there is no evidence to support the notion that LaCombe is better qualified to play in the top 4 than Drysdale. If you're arguing LaCombe is further in his "development curve" - basically more physically mature - then maybe that's true. But Drysdale today is the better player. That is likely to always be the case. And that's not a slam on LaCombe. There's a reason he was drafted 39th and has never starred on an international team the way Drysdale has.

Wow, you got a lot of logical falseness in your rebuttal.

1. Better skater lie.

You stated that Drysdale is a "far superior skater". I responded with "that gap isn't far superior". Then your rebuttal is, "And even if everyone was impressed, that doesn't mean he's a better skater than Drysdale."

People can follow this thread, you know.

scary-movie-shawn-wayans.gif

2. "No one has ever said anything close to that about LaCombe." illogicalness.

That article you've cited is AFTER his first season in the NHL, playing 24 games. LaCombe hasn't had a season in the NHL or 24 NHL games . Can't really compare apples to apples here. I was impressed with Drysdale's first half of NHL games that year, but then he faded for the rest of the season.
Drysdale​
2020-21​
Game Set​
Games​
G​
A​
Pts​
Plus/Minus​
First 11​
11​
2​
3​
5​
-2​
Last 13​
13​
1​
2​
3​
-10​

Maybe we're watching different dimensions of Drysdale's games in the NHL.

But I'll entertain this farce. Here is GM Verbeek on LaCombe on a Dec 1, 2022 NHL.com article:

With [Lacombe], the college game is really easy for him. I mean, he's an excellent skater. He's moving up the ice, but no one can catch him. That's how strong a skater he is.

Here's a quote from coach Eakins, the same Eakins that you referenced about Drysdale's skating, talking about LaCombe before his debut as a Duck:

"He's [LaCombe] an excellent skater. He's got great posture on the ice. His head is always up. He passes the puck extremely hard, doesn't really complicate much. The skating part of it, especially on defense the way you have to play the game, that is certainly going to help him."

giphy.gif

3. How is Drysdale a better player?

- Year 1 in NHL: In only 24 NHL games, Drysdale faded in the last 13 games. CF% = 45.7%
- Year 2 in NHL: Owned the worst plus/minus on the team with -26. His d-pair, Lindholm, was a +0 rating. CF% = 50.8%, which is good!
- Year 3 in NHL: Played only 8 games. CF% = 41.0%. That's worse than his first season! Maybe his D-partner, Lindholm, may have helped some last year.

Here's an OCR article on Drysdale's benching after game 60 of the 2021-22 season:

Jamie Drysdale played all 60 games to start the season, but Ducks coach Dallas Eakins knew it was time for the 19-year-old rookie defenseman to take a break from the action. So, Eakins scratched him from the lineup for last Saturday’s game against the New Jersey Devils.
It wasn’t so much that Drysdale looked tired, but his game looked out of sorts, off kilter. He was on the ice for five of the Chicago Blackhawks’ even-strength goals during an 8-3 loss March 8 and for two of the Nashville Predators’ even-strength goals during a 4-1 defeat on March 10.
Drysdale said he understood Eakins’ message.
“Less busy,” Drysdale said, ticking off the adjustments to his play. “Not force things. Be more efficient. Those were the kinds of things I needed to work on and figure out. I think I’ve done a better job these past two games to do that. I feel good out there. There’s a lot of learning, a lot of development.”

What development happened in Year 3? No development happened. Although it's a small sample, that CF% is a drastic regression. I'd rather chalk it up as a lost developmental year. Here's a snippet from the Sporting Tribune of Fowler on Drysdale's injury that cost him a season:

Fowler bemoaned the fact that this season would have been a good opportunity for Drysdale to get more experience under his belt and play a lot of big minutes, but he also acknowledged that injuries—as unfortunate as they can be—are a part of the game.

How many full seasons has Drysdale completed at the NHL level? One season only. Boasting about Drysdale's 113 NHL games doesn't sound all that great when he's only had only one full season in the NHL.

LaCombe's had four complete NCAA seasons. That means LaCombe's had four developmental seasons under his belt since his draft year. In his senior year, his role was to be leader and mentor for the younger players as an alternate captain for the team. You can read about all of his accomplishments at Minnesota here: link.

LaCombe's physical and game maturity can afford the Ducks to take it slower with Drysdale. The ultimate goal is to develop Drysdale's game. Missing a year of hockey set back Drysdale's improvement. I'd start Drysdale on the third pair and work his way up.

You might think I'm trashing on Drysdale, but I'm not. I want the best possible scenario for Drysdale to improve and improve efficiently. With LaCombe getting the tougher assignments and minutes, then Drysdale is eased back into the game and not press. Ultimately, we want Drysdale in our top-4 as soon as possible. Having two more speedsters on defense with Drysdale and LaCombe could mean better play on the ice and, hopefully, more wins for the Ducks.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
You dont think our top pick this year will be in the lineup?
No reason to force Fantilli or Carlsson. They both can play in men’s leagues (SHL or AHL) where they can still develop.

Top picks that go straight to the NHL are way more likely to be busts or have rough starts to their career, and the Ducks are going to be a bottom 10 team next year. No reason to rush them.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
No reason to force Fantilli or Carlsson. They both can play in men’s leagues (SHL or AHL) where they can still develop.

Top picks that go straight to the NHL are way more likely to be busts or have rough starts to their career, and the Ducks are going to be a bottom 10 team next year. No reason to rush them.
Why do you assume ducks will be a bottom team next year? I think with the right coach and some decent free agent signings.. Along with a healthy full year of drysdale, Lacome.. Fowler.. We might make a push..

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So Zegras puts up back to back 60+ point seasons, which nobody in his draft did that, and on a shitty Ducks team....no make that historically bad Ducks team, with bad coaching, a poor system, and no depth. Yet he is overrated?

Ducks fans don't even call him the Ducks best player, Terry has been, and yet he is overhyped by our fanbase? Give me a break. lol

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

MacKinnon
Matthews
Eichel

All had over 60 points in their D+1 in the NHL and all were about the level Fantili is

Comparing players like Byfield and Kotkaniemi to Fantili seems a bit out of whack

And the thing about it is Byfield wasn’t rushed even. The Kings were patient with him

He just isn’t any good

Jack Hughes another example of a player of that caliber jumping straight to the NHL and handling it fine

Talent wins out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad