Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I can honestly say this is the first time in at least a decade where I dislike or truly don’t care about/have no connection to so many players.

Aside from Pasta, McAvoy, Marchand, both goalies, Frederic, and Lohrei, I wouldn’t care if I didn’t see any of them play again.
(Not counting guys in the minors, who I’ve rarely seen)

Aside from Lohrei, there are no young, up and comers.

Aside from Pasta, the goalies (maybe) and McAvoy there are no superstar quality players.

Aside from Marchand, no connection to the 2011 and 2013 teams.

Aside from Frederic, nobody who plays with any toughness, grit or intensity, and Frederic barely even qualifies.

I’m not overreacting to this dud of a game when I say that they need to develop an identity.

Last edited:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
What's he gonna do? What the f*** is Sweeney gonna do with this?

I don't think you'd have two fans of this team who would agree on the precise course of action.

A bare cupboard. No cap space. Holes on defense. Holes in the top six. Underperfomers throughout the lineup. And a toughness ratio that is all-too reminiscent of the Dave Lewis era. And on top of that? Second place in the East.

The situation is completely absurd. I don't want to sell as one of the top records in the league. I don't want to add to this lackluster roster... And I don't even know where I'd start if I did. Both? I don't think it's possible.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

I don't think you'd have two fans of this team who would agree on the precise course of action.

A bare cupboard. No cap space. Holes on defense. Holes in the top six. Underperfomers throughout the lineup. And a toughness ratio that is all-too reminiscent of the Dave Lewis era. And on top of that? Second place in the East.

The situation is completely absurd. I don't want to sell as one of the top records in the league. I don't want to add to this lackluster roster... And I don't even know where I'd start if I did. Both? I don't think it's possible.
Nothing makes any sense

Reactions: Gordoff

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire

without ullmark and swayman standing on their heads this is the team we were always going to be.

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell

We only have a top record cause all the OT losses. If you count up total losses we would be ranked 7 of the 8 playoff teams in the east

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Most here would do something stupid.

A few have confidence in this GM given what’s happened recently.

Guess we’re going to find out.

Overreacting to the dog days like it’s your first time going through it shows your colors - maybe a few will recognize that.

Reactions: The Murph

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

I’d sell what I can at the deadline and recoup as many assets as possible.

Take your medicine in the playoffs.

Then I’d identify the pieces I want to build around and do some more dealing at the draft.

It’s not as simple as getting to the off-season and adding a top line center.

You’ve probably got to take a couple of steps backwards to take steps forwards. You’ve got some building blocks, and some young pieces to the core, but you’ve got some aging pieces as well.

Not sure how much longer you can bank on Marchand being a top line player. So you’ve got to bring in talent at center as well as on the wing.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009

I'd trade #48, #74 and #28 and get whatever is possible: on or off ice they are not helping this team.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I’d sell what I can at the deadline and recoup as many assets as possible.

Take your medicine in the playoffs.

Then I’d identify the pieces I want to build around and do some more dealing at the draft.

It’s not as simple as getting to the off-season and adding a top line center.

You’ve probably got to take a couple of steps backwards to take steps forwards. You’ve got some building blocks, and some young pieces to the core, but you’ve got some aging pieces as well.

Not sure how much longer you can bank on Marchand being a top line player. So you’ve got to bring in talent at center as well as on the wing.
What are the chances that this is what happens?

I won't say zero... But certainly zero adjacent.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Most here would do something stupid.

A few have confidence in this GM given what’s happened recently.

Guess we’re going to find out.

Overreacting to the dog days like it’s your first time going through it shows your colors - maybe a few will recognize that.

This isn’t a mid season lull….they’ve not played well with any kind of consistency for at least 6 weeks or so.

It’s a flawed roster, but I’m not even blaming Sweeney too much for it because it’s also a by product of going for it last year…..which I was 100% behind.

And….while I know that teams solidly in the playoffs don’t typically sell at the deadline…..this team should probably be the exception to that.

What team in the playoff structure right now would you wager even $200 that the Bruins would beat in a series right now?

Use the deadline to re stock the pipeline and do some damage in the off season via free agency to re-tool for the next run.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
McAvoy is a top 5 dman is the league, you don't trade that guy to make room for someone who is worse and older.

And who plays a different position. As LHD and RHD are different roles, and while some guys can play both sides this team has a strong preference for balance, and good RHD are much rarer

Reactions: Gordoff

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario

It's easy if your in the mix and having 92 points and 2nd in Atlantic you add.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad