Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
How exactly does Hanifin have a deal in place with either TB or FLA if there is no trade framework agreed to? I may just be completely ignorant, but why would any team allow their player to negotiate a contract with another team prior to agreeing upon a return? It would completely tank Calgary’s leverage if there is an agreed contract, the trade falls through and no other team is willing to make a trade knowing the agreement in principal is in place and could just be signed July 1st. If the contract was agreed behind the scenes, is that not horribly blatant tampering?

If this were true and folks on message boards knew about it, you have to believe Calgary would and would be very pissed off and running to the league.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
How exactly does Hanifin have a deal in place with either TB or FLA if there is no trade framework agreed to? I may just be completely ignorant, but why would any team allow their player to negotiate a contract with another team prior to agreeing upon a return? It would completely tank Calgary’s leverage if there is an agreed contract, the trade falls through and no other team is willing to make a trade knowing the agreement in principal is in place and could just be signed July 1st. If the contract was agreed behind the scenes, is that not horribly blatant tampering?

If this were true and folks on message boards knew about it, you have to believe Calgary would and would be very pissed off and running to the league.
Well look at this way at least they kept it from Friedman, McKenzie, Weekes, Seravalli, Pagnotti, Dreger and Lebrun.

Last edited:

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If Ullmark goes, where to?

New Jersey?
Unless someone overpays, he's not going anywhere.

Teams have very little cap room so any trades are going to require cap going back in most trades. That lowers the return for an upcoming UFA so if an UFA is willing to sign long-term with another team, the return will be higher.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He was a -4. So he was on the ice for 14 of the Panthers 26 goals. And really it’s worse because it would be 14 even strength goals. Really hard to have 10 points and be a -4.

EDIT: Panthers had 20 ES and 1 SHG. So he was on the ice for 14/21 goals that weren’t PP goals. Pretty remarkable.
Interesting.

Gryz's playoff numbers by year:

And yet you claimed that was "bad luck".

As someone once said...

"ok"

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
ngl I don't really believe all the scuttlebutt around Hanifin to one of the Florida teams. Neither team has a first round pick until 2026, both have some of the lowest ranked farm systems in the league. I think Calgary might be able to get more flipping Hanifin as a rental to the highest bidder then they would be able to get trading him to Tampa or Florida with an extension in place, I just don't buy it.

actually I'm gonna take it one step further and put on my conspiracy theory hat, but if you were Calgary and Hanifin is telling you his preferred spot is Boston, what better way to get the Bruins to up their offer then to leak that two of their direct divisional rivals are pushing hard AND that Hanifin is willing to sign for both teams.

Last edited:

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
ngl I don't really believe all the scuttlebutt around Hanifin to one of the Florida teams. Neither team has a first round pick until 2026, both have some of the lowest ranked farm systems in the league. I think Calgary might be able to get more flipping Hanifin as a rental to the highest bidder then they would be able to get trading him to Tampa or Florida with an extension in place, I just don't buy it.

actually I'm gonna take it one step further and put on my conspiracy theory hat, but if you were Calgary and Hanifin is telling you his preferred spot is Boston, what better way to get the Bruins to up their offer then to leak that two of their direct divisional rivals are pushing hard AND that Hanifin is willing to sign for both teams.
Could be, we will see.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Ullmark to NJD for Holtz and 2025 2nd

BOS 2025 1st, Merkulov, Gryz, Beecher to Calgary for Hanifin

Harrison to MN for Duhaime

That’s my dream deadline.

Holtz Zacha Pastrnak
Marchand Coyle DeBrusk
JVR Geekie Frederic
Heinen Boqvist Duhaime

Lindholm McAvoy
Hanifin Carlo
Lorhei Wotherspoon

Swayman
Bussi

Re-sign DeBrusk, Hanifin, Wotherspoon, and Duhaime

Next year add Lysell and Poitras.

Still have 5ish million to play with a full roster.

Edit: obviously if there is something better than DeBrusk, feel free to let him walk. But be wary that Lorhei and Frederic will need raises the next offseason.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I still want him, but also if the plan ends up being to keep that top 4 spot open for Lohrei to step into I wouldn't hate that either
Yeah id rather make the d-group tougher, the 0 hit game earlier this week was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Let Lohrei step into that role and bring in some crease clearers/bangers. Zadorov #1 target

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

Holtz Zacha Pastrnak
Marchand Coyle DeBrusk
JVR Geekie Frederic
Heinen Boqvist Duhaime

Lindholm McAvoy
Hanifin Carlo
Lorhei Wotherspoon

Swayman
Bussi

Edit: obviously if there is something better than DeBrusk, feel free to let him walk. But be wary that Lorhei and Frederic will need raises the next offseason.
You need to resign Swayman as well. Holtz has not really shown much yet, he has a great shot and is a shoot first player but they need centers not wings. Love Duhaime

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Taylor Hall was here for 2 and a half seasons. Backes was barely a useful player, do you really not see the difference between say trading Bergeron after 20 years of taking payouts and building the culture vs trading someone like Derek Forbort?

The cultures going to be there regardless if they try to move chara in 2015 or not is what I’m saying

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
PIck up @ 24:00,

I realize the oversize Haggerty image is frightening, but good stuff from Conroy and Colegio, as usual.

And from Haggarty himself, who has the good sense to feature them, and others (Divver, Marinofsky, Ryan) even if he needs to be the center of attention.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009

Holtz Zacha Pastrnak
Marchand Coyle DeBrusk
JVR Geekie Frederic
Heinen Boqvist Duhaime

Lindholm McAvoy
Hanifin Carlo
Lorhei Wotherspoon

Swayman
Bussi

That's not a "dream deadline", it's more like "utopy": they are not trading Ullmark with an unsigned Swayman.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Interesting.

Gryz's playoff numbers by year:

And yet you claimed that was "bad luck".

As someone once said...

"ok"
I don’t think you want to do this…in the vein of comparing him to Bertuzzi. I just want to check with you before though just in case.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
No Hanifin is a LH defensemen. Just looking at all options if they do sign for him. Bruins would roughly have $24 million in 3 defensemen with NTC's That's roughly 29% of your cap.

You do if you want a first line center and cap relief.
So with left side dmen Lindholm and Lohrei, you want to trade for left side dman Hanifin, and trade right side dman McAvoy? So their right side would be Carlo Shattenkirk & …..? Solid plan.

There are only 5-8 players in the NHL I’d trade McAvoy for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad