Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I would have dealt krug but I can see why they didn’t due to the team competing. The one I will never understand is Sweeney keeping a 37/38 year old chara after the bruins missed the playoffs.

Generally though I’d almost always rather move on from a player if I know they aren’t going to be around much longer.
Well when a guy like Chara comes in and changes your entire culture you respect that guy and let him end on his terms.

Trading him signals no matter how much you do for us you're expendable. Is that the kind of workplace you want to commit 8 years to? A place that no matter what you do for them might make you uproot family, move cities as soon as you approach retirement?

Yes it's a business, but it's also about building relationships and maintaining those relationships.

Also I'm almost positive Chara would have had a NTC, no? No chance he waives it.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
If they add Hanifin and are convinced about Lohrei, they could move Lindholm or Carlo and slot Mason into the top 4…saving whatever Lindholm/Carlo make.

Personally I think I like that plan because you could add two physical guys for the third pair and PK.
Not for 3 more seasons.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You can't continually let UFA players walk and get no assets in return. We should have dealt Krug instead of getting nothing in return. DeBrusk, , Grzelcyk, and Forbort are players that the Bruins need to make decisions on. They can bring back some draft capital to replenish the deleted picks.

In a cap world it’s not letting the walk for nothing, it’s just reallocating the cap space to a different UFA or making it available for something else. Like if they let DeBrusk walk and used his money to put towards Forsling or Hanifin, what’s the harm? If you are only getting a 2nd for DeBrusk, just self rent. When he gets hot, the Bruins are a very hard team to matchup against.

And the chances of DeBrusk getting his head out of his ass come March 9th are significant IMHO.

Not for 3 more seasons.

Which times well with Lorhei getting a 2 year bridge and then getting paid.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He was a -4. So he was on the ice for 14 of the Panthers 26 goals. And really it’s worse because it would be 14 even strength goals. Really hard to have 10 points and be a -4.

EDIT: Panthers had 20 ES and 1 SHG. So he was on the ice for 14/21 goals that weren’t PP goals. Pretty remarkable.

He was certainly part of their inability to get the puck out of their own zone. He was 10 out of 10 in the offensive zone below the faceoff dots. And pretty bad the rest of the time. For bang for the buck, I’d rather re-sign JVR.

Reactions: Number4orr

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Mantha reminds me of Eric Daze, big guy capable of being a scorer and more, but also disinterested a lot of the time.
he's 29 and a pending UFA. he's gonna be motivated down the stretch and headed into the playoffs, needs to be if he wants to get a decent contract this summer. Wouldn't want to sign him beyond this year, but I really think he's gonna end up getting traded for relatively cheap and then be a big difference maker for his new team.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Well when a guy like Chara comes in and changes your entire culture you respect that guy and let him end on his terms.

Trading him signals no matter how much you do for us you're expendable. Is that the kind of workplace you want to commit 8 years to? A place that no matter what you do for them might make you uproot family, move cities as soon as you approach retirement?

Yes it's a business, but it's also about building relationships and maintaining those relationships.

Also I'm almost positive Chara would have had a NTC, no? No chance he waives it.
If I recall correctly, the Bruins were interested in bringing Chara back, but in a reduced minutes role. He didn’t want any part of that. They couldn’t agree, so that was it.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

Chara had a full NMC during the years we're talking about. And even if he didn't, he played a huge role in mentoring Carlo and McAvoy, and then we went to game 7 of the cup finals a few years later.

Saying they should've traded Chara is the ultimate "hindsight is 20/20" narrative. Sweeney would've gotten run out of town if he even tried, and whatever you got back likely wouldn't have had as big of an impact as Chara did both on the ice and off it over his last few years here.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
he's 29 and a pending UFA. he's gonna be motivated down the stretch and headed into the playoffs, needs to be if he wants to get a decent contract this summer. Wouldn't want to sign him beyond this year, but I really think he's gonna end up getting traded for relatively cheap and then be a big difference maker for his new team.
If we can get him cheap no picks or top prospects ,then sure I would take a flyer on him.

Reactions: Gordoff

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Chara had a full NMC during the years we're talking about. And even if he didn't, he played a huge role in mentoring Carlo and McAvoy, and then we went to game 7 of the cup finals a few years later.

Saying they should've traded Chara is the ultimate "hindsight is 20/20" narrative. Sweeney would've gotten run out of town if he even tried, and whatever you got back likely wouldn't have had as big of an impact as Chara did both on the ice and off it over his last few years here.
Very good point as well, Chara's (and Bergeron and Krejci) role as a mentor to your young guys is invaluable.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
In a cap world it’s not letting the walk for nothing, it’s just reallocating the cap space to a different UFA or making it available for something else. Like if they let DeBrusk walk and used his money to put towards Forsling or Hanifin, what’s the harm? If you are only getting a 2nd for DeBrusk, just self rent. When he gets hot, the Bruins are a very hard team to matchup against.

And the chances of DeBrusk getting his head out of his ass come March 9th are significant IMHO.

Which times well with Lorhei getting a 2 year bridge and then getting paid.
The thing is Lorhei going to be happy on the 3rd pairing for 3 more years

Why not?

It’s not impossible to move a guy with a NMC.

Obviously not as easy as without, but it happens.
No it's not, but you're going back on your work as a GM if you do it.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Chara ended up leaving a couple years later anyways. And yes keyword workplace because it’s a business. Those relationships don’t come to an end because a team or player moved on. These are adults they should understand. That entire narrative is so insanely overblown.

I mean does Taylor hall, David backes, etc now hold a grudge against the bruins for trading them and ruined all relations?

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The thing is Lorhei going to be happy on the 3rd pairing for 3 more years

No it's not, but you're going back on your work as a GM if you do it.

I guess that’s true unless the player is happy about the move.

Things can change. I mean if Colorado wanted Carlo, maybe he’d want the chance to play at home?

Who knows for sure, but I get your point.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Chara ended up leaving a couple years later anyways. And yes keyword workplace because it’s a business. Those relationships don’t come to an end because a team or player moved on. These are adults they should understand. That entire narrative is so insanely overblown.

I mean does Taylor hall, David backes, etc now hold a grudge against the bruins for trading them and ruined all relations?
Taylor Hall and David Backes are not team legends that earned the right to leave the team on their own terms.

Reactions: Gordoff and RatKing

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I guess that’s true unless the player is happy about the move.

Things can change. I mean if Colorado wanted Carlo, maybe he’d want the chance to play at home?

Who knows for sure, but I get your point.
I’ve been reading lots of this lately, “move Carlo or Lindholm down the line”. Lindholm Hanifin Lohrei are all left side dmen. Carlo is a right side D. Moving Carlo would leave McAvoy as your only right side D. I don’t understand why they’re discussed as interchangeable

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I’ve been reading lots of this lately, “move Carlo or Lindholm down the line”. Lindholm Hanifin Lohrei are all left side dmen. Carlo is a right side D. Moving Carlo would leave McAvoy as your only right side D. I don’t understand why they’re discussed as interchangeable

You’re right, Lindholm would be better to move if they wanted to go that route, for the reason you stated.

But, at least for the first couple of years, they could go:

Hanifin - McAvoy
Lindholm - FA or Trade Acquisition
Lohrei - Regula/Wotherspoon

Having three top four quality defensemen on one side, spread out among all three pairs can be a good thing.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
He's a top 10 center in the league, who's closer to 5 then he is 10. And last season he showed that he's capable of giving you borderline selke level defensive results in a given year. That's the allure of him.
While I agree with you, is he a prototypical Bruin?
I think he would be a Craig Janney here.
Fans in Boston love goals, but not as much as they HATE softness.
IE: Nylander would be tarred and feathered here within 30 days.

I would trade pasta for necas kk 1st round pick 2nd round pick.. I believe that was the package. I'm gonna get bashed again. Bash away.
shock-shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad