Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Is there something particular that turned you off him?

In 7 playoff games with the Bruins he scored 5G 5A 10P. That’s a clutch player.
Not me, but If I remember correctly he was awful defensively. To me it overshadows the points, especially in the playoffs

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Not me, but If I remember correctly he was awful defensively. To me it overshadows the points, especially in the playoffs
He was a -4. So he was on the ice for 14 of the Panthers 26 goals. And really it’s worse because it would be 14 even strength goals. Really hard to have 10 points and be a -4.

EDIT: Panthers had 20 ES and 1 SHG. So he was on the ice for 14/21 goals that weren’t PP goals. Pretty remarkable.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Not easy to answer. I guess it comes down to what you want the team to look like going forward.

I have to admit, that a top 4 of McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo and Hanifin is very exciting….provided they add some muscle to the third pair.

If that’s what you want to see, and think it’s a step toward a cup, then why risk seeing him go somewhere else, where they have the advantage of negotiating months ahead of you and the 8th year?

If you’re not sold on that plan, then I agree with your perspective.
It’s not that I don’t see the value and what he’d mean to our d core. I’m just not sure you could ever create a proper forward group to support them considering we have no prospect pool and a serious shortage of available picks that’s going to decrease further within the next week

Reactions: sarge88

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Ride it out with these guys. Offseason let Jake walk. Move Ullmark. Sign Bertuzzi for 5m/ 3 years. Jacob Middleton for 3rd pairing. Get a top 6 center so Coyle slots down to 2 or 3C. Poitras & Lohrei will be a year stronger. Get some physical bite in the middle 6. Enough cap space to attack the offseason and make a difference
You can't continually let UFA players walk and get no assets in return. We should have dealt Krug instead of getting nothing in return. DeBrusk, , Grzelcyk, and Forbort are players that the Bruins need to make decisions on. They can bring back some draft capital to replenish the deleted picks.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It’s not that I don’t see the value and what he’d mean to our d core. I’m just not sure you could ever create a proper forward group to support them considering we have no prospect pool and a serious shortage of available picks that’s going to decrease further within the next week
We have plenty of cap room even if you assume we sign Debrusk, Swayman, and Hanifin if you trade Ullmark and insert Lysell and Beecher into the lineup. Even more with Merkulov in the lineup too.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
You can't continually let UFA players walk and get no assets in return. We should have dealt Krug instead of getting nothing in return. DeBrusk, , Grzelcyk, and Forbort are players that the Bruins need to make decisions on. They can bring back some draft capital to replenish the deleted picks.
forbort gets you nothing, and the days of Gryz getting you a decent return are probably gone as well. Only guy that is really worth agonizing over is Jake, and hopefully Sweeney knows by now which direction he's going with him.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I am still not sure Loheri is ready, or let me put it this way he still needs work, but Godfather you got it right, " Donny hang up the phone "

I don't know what ready means any more. If Lohrei done developing , NOPE. Is Lohrei at a point where the development remaining needs to happen at the NHL level, YES, I think this is the case

Problem os if he is traded likely a sign and trafe. Wont hit fa

It is possible there will be a sign and trade, especially if it is Boston or Tampa.

But the closer we get to the deadline, the more likely it is that any trade that happens will not include a new contract

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Agree, unless they don’t feel like this season is going anywhere regardless of what they do.
(Which I don’t think is the case)

But if they thought like that, maybe getting Hanifin here now and locking him up long term and using the summer to construct a cup contender, is the way to go.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Actually base on those contracts Connor McDavid is the steal. Thankfully there is a salary cap for these GM to protect them from themselves
You nailed it, add the owners into with there egos.......... I hate the cap , but you gave the honest reason why there is one. No cap more teams in financial trouble, which reminds me why the hell are they looking to expand when they have teams like Arizona and others with some business situations that need to be resolved. Oh I get it the new teams have to pay to get in, and the present owners like that cash flow, and Betteman is the perfect guy to build the owners bank accounts, so screw whats best for the game Owners come first, second and third.......then maybe the players and then the sucker fans who pay out their hard earned money. So before some smart ass comes back with, " well they don't have to pay " remember the fans love this game and that does not mean they have to bend over for Betteman and the owners.............baseball and the NBA sucks now hope that hockey remains a great game.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think the bigger question is do we want the Bruins icing a $40m defense in the not so distant future? Maybe that isn't all that big a deal with the cap going up over the next handful of years, but the last cup winning Bruins squad had their #2D making half of their #1D's money. CapFriendly is an asshole for hiding the data, but I'd guess the 2-6 defensemen made close to Chara's cap hit, at least prior to picking up Kaberle.

Noah Hanifin will definitely have an impact if he's acquired. My question is, will he have a bigger impact than allocating that $6m - $7m into their forwards?

If they add Hanifin and are convinced about Lohrei, they could move Lindholm or Carlo and slot Mason into the top 4…saving whatever Lindholm/Carlo make.

Personally I think I like that plan because you could add two physical guys for the third pair and PK.

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I would have dealt krug but I can see why they didn’t due to the team competing. The one I will never understand is Sweeney keeping a 37/38 year old chara after the bruins missed the playoffs.

Generally though I’d almost always rather move on from a player if I know they aren’t going to be around much longer.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Ride it out with these guys. Offseason let Jake walk. Move Ullmark. Sign Bertuzzi for 5m/ 3 years. Jacob Middleton for 3rd pairing. Get a top 6 center so Coyle slots down to 2 or 3C. Poitras & Lohrei will be a year stronger. Get some physical bite in the middle 6. Enough cap space to attack the offseason and make a difference

I just can’t get behind letting Jake walk. If he is actually walking then they need to recoup assets for him.

He’s providing next to nothing offensively for this team. Pointless in 13 of his last 14 games. That’s bad even for a 4th liner. Nevermind a guy who is top 6 while getting PP time.

He’s easily replaceable by anyone who can be serviceable on the PK.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think I just found the grit and toughness the Bruins are looking for. Git 'er done Donny !

They'll sign him and he'll tear his ACL and be out for the year on his third shift of the game, but still come out for warmups during the playoffs just to be a hardo.

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
I wonder what Jonathan Toews is up to these days.

31 points in 53 games last year. 63% on the dot as well.

Reactions: TCB

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I don’t see the EP allure, just seems like a floater.
He's a top 10 center in the league, who's closer to 5 then he is 10. And last season he showed that he's capable of giving you borderline selke level defensive results in a given year. That's the allure of him.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Loui Eriksson IMO may have been most unforgivable. 99% sure it was him. There were rumors teams offered 1st round picks. The team that year was mediocre at best and he wasn’t coming back.

That was awful asset management.
Hindsight

At the time they were something like second in their conference and coming off missing the playoffs for the first time in 8 years. No way they should have punt on the season to get a pick at that point

Reactions: wintersej
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad